SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What did you do today in reloading-land?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 98
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you do today in reloading-land? Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I personally use nickel cases sparingly, and they denote something special.

For instance, my grizzly bear loads in .45-70 are in nickel cases and my practice loads aren't.

It's an easy and cheap way to identify things visually.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Yeah these will be fusion bullets, defensive or hunting loads but since they are hand-loaded they will be just in case. At the price I couldn't resist and I would rather have several hundred quality soft points loaded up than resort to crappo FMJs like most people plan to.

Smile

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received 1000 122 grain FP .357 sized bullets from Matt Dardas yesterday and loaded 100 of them with 4 grains of WW231 at 1.07 OAL. Going to test them tomorrow in a P228, a G17 and a G19. These are the first 9mm reloads I have done since the late '80s. Very curious about how the Glocks will tolerate these bullets. I have read that keeping the velocities reasonable and going a little larger on the bullet diameter makes a huge difference...we shall see in the morning...BTW, these Dardas bullets are very nice looking. Almost too pretty to shoot...

Posts: 332 | Location: Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: January 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosigsyet:
I received 1000 122 grain FP .357 sized bullets from Matt Dardas yesterday and loaded 100 of them with 4 grains of WW231 at 1.07 OAL.

I'm one of those guys who ignores the warnings about shooting lead in Glocks and shoot them now and then through a couple of Glocks we have.

Just keep an eye on the barrel to see if they cause any leading and you'll undoubtedly be fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted,you might need a faster powder
That is the one caliber I don't load or have,got the rest pretty much covered though.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
I received 1000 122 grain FP .357 sized bullets from Matt Dardas yesterday and loaded 100 of them with 4 grains of WW231 at 1.07 OAL.

I'm one of those guys who ignores the warnings about shooting lead in Glocks and shoot them now and then through a couple of Glocks we have.

Just keep an eye on the barrel to see if they cause any leading and you'll undoubtedly be fine.

When I go to the range, I usually take three to five handguns and shoot no more than 100 rounds per gun. I will shoot 33 per gun today in deference to the lead bullets and clean them afterwards. My goal is to have a lead bullet load that will work in all three Glocks (17,19,and 26)for 100 rounds before cleaning. If nothing else, I can use these bullets in my SIG and 1911 .38 Super and try a plated bullet in the Glock, or a FMJ if I can get them cheap enough. My shooting per month has gone up to about 500 rounds a month of 9mm and .45 ACP mostly. I am trying to control costs as best as possible and still have fun.

Posts: 332 | Location: Capital of the Confederacy | Registered: January 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

When I go to the range, I usually take three to five handguns and shoot no more than 100 rounds per gun. I will shoot 33 per gun today in deference to the lead bullets and clean them afterwards. My goal is to have a lead bullet load that will work in all three Glocks (17,19,and 26)for 100 rounds before cleaning. If nothing else, I can use these bullets in my SIG and 1911 .38 Super and try a plated bullet in the Glock, or a FMJ if I can get them cheap enough. My shooting per month has gone up to about 500 rounds a month of 9mm and .45 ACP mostly. I am trying to control costs as best as possible and still have fun.

Update: I have had two range sessions of two hundred rounds each. The issue of lead bullets in my two Glock 9mm pistols are a non-issue. All of the visible firing residue was easily removed with a dry brass bore brush. There was no lead remaining; just some invisible residue that was easily removed with a Hoppe's no. 9 soak and two clean bore patches.
However, I have another issue with all three guns: failures to fire on the first strike. I had an average of three per 100 rounds with the Glocks. The P228, however, had about 25 out one hundred rounds. The primers are Winchester standard small pistol primers that I bought in the late '80s, but they have been stored well. I have Winchester large pistol primers from the same era that now go bang every time in two different 1911 pistols.
I used a hand held Lee priming tool and made certain the the primers were seated fully. Maybe new springs for all the guns may help. Factory ammo has not been an issue with the Glocks. The SIG did not like the Bosnian made BrassMaxx stuff. Same problem - did not fire on the first strike for about ten out of fifty.
In conclusion, I solved one issue, but discovered another.
Your comments are more then welcome!

Picture of oldseabag860
posted Hide Post
Prepped and primed 200 40 SW I have powder and primers but no bullets ordered 400 today.
I have to start shooting 9mm's and .223 again I have about 400 ready to go

"NO TWENTY TWO FOR YOU"

Posts: 269 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: January 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Well I cast up the remaining w w bricklets.
Total production last few days was 64 # of 45apc in 230 grain.
Latheshith's shipment arrived today also,so the Star is about to start work.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Update: I have had two range sessions of two hundred rounds each. The issue of lead bullets in my two Glock 9mm pistols are a non-issue. All of the visible firing residue was easily removed with a dry brass bore brush. There was no lead remaining; just some invisible residue that was easily removed with a Hoppe's no. 9 soak and two clean bore patches.
However, I have another issue with all three guns: failures to fire on the first strike. I had an average of three per 100 rounds with the Glocks. The P228, however, had about 25 out one hundred rounds. The primers are Winchester standard small pistol primers that I bought in the late '80s, but they have been stored well. I have Winchester large pistol primers from the same era that now go bang every time in two different 1911 pistols.
I used a hand held Lee priming tool and made certain the the primers were seated fully. Maybe new springs for all the guns may help. Factory ammo has not been an issue with the Glocks. The SIG did not like the Bosnian made BrassMaxx stuff. Same problem - did not fire on the first strike for about ten out of fifty.
In conclusion, I solved one issue, but discovered another.
Your comments are more then welcome!
Bought fresh primers last night and loaded 200 more - these were with small Magnum pistol primers since these were all the store had. My loads are in the middle of the range powder wise so I do not expect any problems in that regard. I hope these solve the FTF issues. If not, I will be ordering spring kits for both Glocks to install myself and hunting down a SIG armorer for the P228.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
So, not exactly reloading, but...

Yesterday I shot in that autoloader competition I mentioned previously in this thread. I didn't do so well, but I had a lot of fun. It was my first time trying this, didn't know what to expect, blah blah blah. Lots of various "excuses" for my performance, but the end result is I know better for next time.

The deal is this:

Any caliber rifle, as long as it is an autoloader, and you must feed it from a mag - no single shot loding.

Each rifle can be shot only once by the same person, each rifle can be shot a maximum of twice (so you can loan it out to someone if you want).

Shoot 5 shots at 100 yards.
Shoot 5 shots at 200 yards.
Shoot 5 shots at 300 yards.

Add the group sizes. Smallest total wins. Entry fee was $10, they paid out the top 6 places. There were a total of 28 entries.

I took my .223 with a 20" Lilja 1:8 Wylde, and I put my NXS 12-42x bolt gun scope on it. The guys at the line gave me shit about it doubling as a spotting scope. Smile But to be fair, I COULD see my .223 caliber bullet holes at 300 yards, so..

At 100 I put up 1.157"
At 200 I put up 3.681" - I dropped my 5th shot, added almost 2" to my group size, and took me out of the money, ultimately.
At 300 I put up 2.686"

The first place total was 3.695". Best group I saw was a .8xx" at 300 yards (by the winner, of course).

First rounds were fired about noon, and money was handed out just before 5, so it moves right along pretty well. They had a snowmobile on hand to change targets, which made things faster.

Next event is the indoor bowling pin shoot a week from today. I don't expect to do that well with a 45ACP against a bunch of 44mag guys, but I'll have a ton of fun. And for a $10 entry fee, that's really what it's all about for me. It's just great to get out and hang out with a bunch of "gun nuts" for a day.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
^^^ sounds like a lot of fun!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Today I tumbled a couple thousand range pickup brass...mostly 9, 40, 223, and 300BLK.

Loaded a couple hundred rounds of 10mm 200gr FMJFP. I'm down to my last jug of blue dot. I'm in desperate need of some soon.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
tumbled a thousand .380 cases I got last week.

Just waiting for bullets from RMR.

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought 2K Federal LPP 150.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Reloaded a couple hundred 45 ACP.

Went to the bowling pin shoot. It mas much more difficult than I expected it to be - and the guys with 44 Magnums pretty much took it.

The winner had some like 7" barrel S&W 44 MAG with a compensator on it from the S&W performance center. Very nice looking revolver. Said it took S&W 8 months to deliver it to his FFL once the order was placed.

At this point, I'm not really a revolver guy, so I don't know that I'll go to one of these again unless they have separate classes for automatics and revolvers, but maybe. It was fun...

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Spent some time in the loading lair planning on getting some .308 together. After a couple math errors adjusting the seating dies, I decided sleep was needed and closed up shop. Tomorrow.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, I found 150 .45 Colt and 250 .40 S&W casings in a dresser drawer while looking for something else. The treasure trove also included several boxes of .270Win and .300Win Mag casings, but I don't reload those, yet.

Today I loaded 300 .45ACP rounds and changed my toolhead to load .45 Colts next.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Spent some time in the loading lair planning on getting some .308 together. After a couple math errors adjusting the seating dies, I decided sleep was needed and closed up shop. Tomorrow.

At only 5pm?? Wow.. You must really be getting old! Do you have dinner at 3 in the afternoon? Big Grin

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:

At only 5pm?? Wow.. You must really be getting old! Do you have dinner at 3 in the afternoon? Big Grin

Two transcontinental redeyes followed by a commute home from LA. I'm lucky if I know my own name.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post