SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    sizing conundrum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sizing conundrum Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
I need your help friends.
For some time I’ve been making brass 410 shells from 9.7 rifle cases…

After a few firings the brass has expanded so that I need to size it down or I can’t extract it. But I can’t find a sizing die for a 410 shell.

So today I measured the fired case and found that at the base it’s .472

Looking at several dies I have and at sammi specs of cases and chambers, I found a 308 Winchester full length sizing(.470) would work.I might have to hone it with some valve grinding compound, but I think I could do it.

I would also have to cut the die off at the bottom of the shoulder. (I guess I could get a machine shop to do that for me)

Any input is appreciated.

Also now I have to find a 308 sizing die.

Edited thread title

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think there is a pretty close relationship between the 444 Marlin case & the 410 shotgun shell. I see people make 410 shells/ammo out of the 444 case.

You could check that die for sizing. Another option is making 410 ammo out of the 444 case.

I didn’t look beyond that, may be other options.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two options that I can think of;
1. Find an older MEC press for the 410. The older presses(think 1980’s) had a resizing die that would resize the entire case, unlike the current presses with a collet sizer that only resizes the base. These were not carbide, so not sure how they would work.

2. Taurus and S&W made revolvers for both 45 Colt and 410. Not in a position to check, but maybe a carbide resizing die in 45 Colt would work.

Let us know what you figure out!

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
This seems like a knowledgeable post on .410 brass reloading.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html

Edit to add: Just saw USAFA71's post. Like he said, I've always read that the 45 Colt is the best substitute die for the 410. Isn't the base about dead on for the 410 (.480)?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
https://www.hornady.com/reloading/dies/custom-dies#!/

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post