SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    124 grain w/ Hodgdon CFE pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

124 grain w/ Hodgdon CFE pistol Login/Join 
posted
Max load listed is 5.5 grns giving 1120 fps. This velocity seems low compared to what other shooters describe. Is 1100 fps a good target with a 124 grain JHP?

Posts: 55 | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a reasonable load.

But is it accurate in your pistol you intend to use?? Is the POA and POI the same or does it shoot high?? Testing will determine that.

I'm a believer in not beating hell out of equipment. If I can get reliable function and accuracy out of a pistol with a load that is slower.... then great. The bonus is there is less use of powder.

Just my thoughts.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With 5.5 max, I am starting at 5.3 (10 rounds)5.4 (10 rounds) then 5.5 (10 rounds) to look for the best overall in terms of accuracy. I'm new to loading pistols am am not sure 1/10 of a grain is enough. My impression is that much smaller adjustments with pistol cartridges often make a big difference. I don't want to drop the velocity too much either. That is my thinking. Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
The bullets are RMR JHPs. Their website recommends 1100 fps. That is why I am using it.

posted Hide Post
I run a 147gr 9mm Black Bullet at 830fps....in a Sig 320, 320 X-5, Sig MPX, and Smith & Wesson M&P. No issues.

Just because something recommends 1100fps.... doesn't mean that's the end all / be all.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
If you are not relying on the hollow point to expand, then the velocity is of no concern. Lots of folks use hollow points for paper and steel as they don't have an exposed lead base and seem to be more accurate.

I'm assuming you're loading 9mm and not 38 Super or .357 Sig, both of which can use a 124gr bullet.

I've only used CFE-P in 9mm and with coated bullets which take a little less powder to get velocity out of. I used some plated but they were 147gr so don't help this discussion.

Looking at my load data I'm close to minimum charge to get a 125gr Blue bullet loaded to 1.130" to get about 1,100fps out of a CZ Shadow 2 adn a Sig X5 Legion.

I would start at 5.0 grains and be aware of you COAL. Normal practice is to start at 10% below max and then ladder up. If max is 5.5, 10% is 4.9grains.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My current, and favorite, practice load for 9mm is a 124 gr HP with 4.5 gr of CFE Pistol. It functions in all my 9mm pistols, is at least as accurate as I can hold(probably more accurate), recoils nearly as much as factory target loads( good for “practice”), and relatively inexpensive.

A superior pilot is best defined as one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skill.

Posts: 369 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post