SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Midway #1292 tumbler overheat/fire (ancient model # from the early to mid 90's)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midway #1292 tumbler overheat/fire (ancient model # from the early to mid 90's) Login/Join 
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted
The other recent tumbler motor failure thread made me recall some information from the distant past.

I load my tumbler with brass and polishing media and leave it running for hours if the brass is stained or dirty.

Most of us reloaders will use old reloading equipment if it remains functional. I know I do.

Just a FYI to anyone that has one of these Midway 1292 tumblers. (I have one, damn good tumbler and it still works great, and guessing mine is almost 28 to 29 years old now)

There have been at least 13 reports of this 1292 model tumbler overheating the motor and catching fire. (as of March 1998)

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1...e-recall-of-tumblers

By the time I found out about the recall, Midway no longer had the "fix" kit available. (fix kit was an inline fuse holder and some connectors)

Kind of scary, I had previously run my tumbler in my basement overnight with stained range pick-up scrounged brass.

Apparently, the motor has no thermal overload device, and as originally equipped, had no fuse.

With the "fix" kit no longer available from Midway, I added a low amperage inline fuse holder and fuse inside the lower plastic base. (per Midway technical dept.)

Midway was quite helpful, they knew what was in the "fix" kit, but no longer had any of them.

Here's my guess on the issue, the bushings in the motor dry out from usage and lack of maintenance, then seize up, the motor then cooks because the little plastic cooling fan isn't spinning,
until fire happens due to no thermal protection device on the motor or inline fuse as originally equipped.

A few drops of automatic transmission fluid on the motor bushings every couple of years, and the installation of the fuse/fuse holder now make it safe to operate.

I now run mine outside on a concrete slab anyway. (metal roof covered carport)

So how many of you reloaders have inspected your case tumbler for a functional motor thermal overload protection device and/or low amperage fuse?

How many of you lubricate the tumbler motor bearings/bushings?

Anybody else take the underside of the tumbler and blow out the dust, spider webs, and polishing media debris with compressed air?

This concludes the Public Service Safety Announcement for the day.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1492 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Had the same tumbler, 17 years+. It didn't catch fire just died. Ordered a hornady from Midway according to YT it has a timer built in that you can set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...020625891?pid=770921

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
A buddy had his tumbler catch fire in his house years ago. They didn't realize it until loaded rounds he had on the bench next to it started cooking off. Thankfully they were able to extinguish it before it destroyed the whole house. I never leave mine running when nobody's around, or when we're asleep. Just not worth the risk.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
A buddy had his tumbler catch fire in his house years ago. They didn't realize it until loaded rounds he had on the bench next to it started cooking off. Thankfully they were able to extinguish it before it destroyed the whole house. I never leave mine running when nobody's around, or when we're asleep. Just not worth the risk.

Nor do I. I put it on a timer and do it during the day. Since it's in the garage and the house is pretty soundproof, I go and check it from time to time until it stops.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The timer is a good idea...I hadn't considered that. I may need to go get one.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I started running mine outside. I put it on before bed and check when I get up, or start before work and then when I get home.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had 2 of those, may still have one,

I last used it to moly some bullets, (back when that was a thing)

I know I bought it in the 90's

damn thing is loud, so much so I run a cord out in the driveway and let it run outside,

replaced long ago with a Dillon and a Lyman (the lyman is the quietest tumbler I have used)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m early 90’s with my tumbler, don’t like to leave it going when not home.

I’ll give it a look.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Midway also sold the larger 2092 model of which I had 3. I would load them up and run them inside a closet so I didnt have to hear them. Also had the smaller RCBS and 2 of the large Lyman tumblers. The Lymans were nice due to the drain hole for media. Oooops..I forgot the big Dillion tumbler too.. Big Grin. Reloading is such fun.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That's pretty scary. I run mine on top of my reloading bench (with all my powders underneath) in the shop and have never given it a second though...until now. Guess I'll be putting it on the concrete floor our outside from now on.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a Midway 1292. I run mine on my concrete driveway outside my garage plugged into a GFI outlet. I don't leave it unattended. I wonder what amp fuse they are using.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mine runs on top of a rubber cushion on a table and it's on a GFI obviously, since it's in the garage.

It's safe enough with the timer and me looking in on it from time to time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I called Midway today. They asked if my 1292 tumbler had a bar code inside the base. It had the barcode so it was not subject to the recall.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post