SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Empty bottles for blackpowder ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Empty bottles for blackpowder ... Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
I am looking for containers to transfer some black powder that I have out of rusted top metal containers to something new.

I have five 1 lb of FFg (3 full, 2 partial over half) and 1 lb of FFFg.

Do not have any old smokeless powder containers to use. Any recommendations on that I can use ?

Thanks !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A number of folks have used the quart plastic milk bottles. They are easy to label and no rusting.......also, no sparks!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of clean empty powder containers, with & without labels. I’m in WI, would rather not ship most.

A few times I’ve bought power in bulk, then transferred it to containers.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I haven't done this myself (my black powder cans are still intact) but this may be something to consider.

Recently, I was struck by how much the plastic containers that nutritional powders come in resemble the containers that smokeless powder comes in. Stuff like this: Optimum Nutrition powders

Do you have any bodybuilder/nutritionist friends who use powdered enhancements? I wouldn't buy the stuff just to get the bottles (it's not cheap) but if you know someone who uses the contents, you could ask them to save you the containers.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Would This work link?

Or what about some Gatorade plastic bottles with screw on caps?

Do you live near a Winco grocery? They have nice sturdy plastic storage containers, my store has them near the canning goods section.

Also, if you have restaurant supply stores near you, they will have food storage containers.

Sams Club also usually has heavy duty restaurant type food storage containers, I’ve got some before.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
My grandpappy and Dad used to keep black powder in paper bags (the same way they bought it from the Western Auto) and they would put those inside Christmas baking tins the kind you'd get as gifts or with fruitcakes in them.

I suppose you could use paper lunch bags and find some flour and sugar tins at the goodwill store.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Good ideas ... thanks !

I wonder if the brown hydrogen peroxide bottles would work, especially since hydrogen peroxide is really cheap to buy.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shaking my head and wondering how you ever worked-up the courage to pour some down a barrel. Why don't you just find a black powder shooter in your area and give or sell them your powder with the light rust on the cans. Unless you just enjoy the drama.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
I'm shaking my head and wondering how you ever worked-up the courage to pour some down a barrel. Why don't you just find a black powder shooter in your area and give or sell them your powder with the light rust on the cans. Unless you just enjoy the drama.

I am confused what you are talking about ... pour what down what barrel ? What drama ? Really ?

I too am shaking my head what the heck you are talking about.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Uline sells the plastic jars that powder comes in.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Am checking out Uline now ... thank you sir !

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
If your cans are rusting you are stowing improperly.
I have cans from the seventies that are not rusting,same goes for partial cans of smokeless powders I have tried over the decades.
I don't care for the new plastic jugs powder comes in these last 25 years,it takes larger ammo cans to stow it in

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
If your cans are rusting you are stowing improperly.
I have cans from the seventies that are not rusting,same goes for partial cans of smokeless powders I have tried over the decades.

The same is true for me, and I've even got cans from the 60s.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look at the recycling stamp on the bottom.
Powder cans are now HDPE. So are Folgers coffee cans and Metamucil cans. Probably a lot of others but those are what I have here.
A paint or hardware store might sell you empty paint or mineral spirits cans, if you can protect them from whatever rusted your originals.

APPLY LABELS TO NEW CONTAINERS

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I ended up going with clean and dried (using rice for a few days too) hydrogen peroxide bottles (HDPE). Have three of the six cans transferred.

And yes, properly and clearly labelled.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Back in the day you could go to the harware/lumber yard/paint stores and purchase new unused sealable metal paint cans .......................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Back in the day you could go to the harware/lumber yard/paint stores and purchase new unused sealable metal paint cans .......................................... drill sgt.

Miss the old days ...

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Yes you can buy brand new unused metal paint cans. Pretty much everybody sells them.

Google it. Select your retailer.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
^^^^^ Yes you can buy brand new unused metal paint cans. Pretty much everybody sells them.

Google it. Select your retailer.

lowes and home despot have them here,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I have checked the big box and local paint stores for the screw top lid cans ... no luck.

I ended up using hydrogen peroxide bottles. And I made sure to clearly label.