New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass question Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I'm about to buy some new 357 Mag, 38 SPC, 44 Mag and 44SPC ammo, as I don't hardly have any brass to reload.

My question is, if given a choice of brand names, who makes the good to best brass to reload? And conversely, what to stay away from.

If buying used brass, what brands should I purchase, or stay away from.

It's been awhile since I've reloaded straight wall pistol cartridges, and I can remember avoiding some brands of brass because it split so easily and I can't recall the names. And no idea if things have changed, quality wise, in the last number of years.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Starline.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Starline.

Hard to go wrong with Starline.

If you're not going to shoot much, maybe range brass would work fine for you.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Starline, hands down one of the best on the market.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have some Starline brass.

The last few years it has been difficult to impossible to find.

I may have to use range brass and/or purchase new ammo to get cases for the meantime.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
In addition to Starline, I like Winchester, Federal, and CCI.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Starline. It's excellent stuff.

If you're buying ammo in hopes of reloading the brass after you shoot it, avoid Hornady Leverevolution. It's shorter than saami spec (at least in .357, .44, and .45-70 in my personal experience), and makes it a pain to crimp your cases when you're running a batch of reloads.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Honestly, for the current times AND pistol brass, I will take anything I can find that is new or once fired. Rifle would be another story.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I never buy brass for a handgun if I can find range brass in sufficient quantities.

The same is true for blasting brass for my ARs.

I have bought new brass for my varmint rifles however.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Buy Starline and you will have brass that lasts.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
Buy Starline and you will have brass that lasts.

I've got a Winchester .45 ACP case around here somewhere that I've reloaded and shot so much it's almost impossible to read the headstamp any more.

Now that's long lasting.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Here you go if you are interested in used brass..

Not as cheap as it used to be.

.357mag brass

38 Special Brass

.44mag Brass

.44 S&W Special

Use Ammoseek to find the Brass you are looking for

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Thanks, much appreciated.

posted Hide Post
I buy once fired brass from Precision Brass. It comes shiny clean and I save a lot by buying it that way. I have never had a single problem with their brass and they even grow in a few extras just in case.
Their price includes shipping

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You cant go wrong with starline.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starline or Peterson.

Posts: 11 | Registered: August 22, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post