SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Which Redding die set for 30/06 Garand?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Redding die set for 30/06 Garand? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I want to start loading for my 1953 Garand in 30/06. I think I need a small base sizing die but there is a dizzying array of die sets. I don't see any "small base sets" and I already have a selection of neck sizing bushings so I would like to continue with the bushing dies and the micrometer seater.
Is there a set to fit that bill or do I order a small base sizer, a neck bushing die, and a micrometer seater all separately? Any concerns with mixing lines like "Hunter" "National Match" "Deluxe" "Premium"?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to the Redding website, in the pull down menu, scroll down to small.... Select that and you will see a small list. The small base 30-06 is 74148, but that's for body die only. They do not have a small base die.

You can mix and match any model, or even brand of die. If you find a small base from another brand, that will work also.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reloading for 3 CMP Garands, one Springfield Armory Garand, a Rem 742 semiauto, and 2 bolt action 30-06's I don't see the need for a small based sizer. Only thing I see loading for Garands is that they have long chambers and as much as 6 thousandths longer than my bolt actions. May want to measure how much your sizer is pushing shoulders back and watch for case stretching. I have both RCBS and Hornady regular die sets with no issues in any of my rifles.

Posts: 112 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot some factory loads and see if you need SB dies. I reloaded many, many thousand rounds of LC Ball M2 range pickup cases and never needed SB dies for any of the 12 M1s I was loading for. If Redding doesn't list them, it is a sign that nobody else needs them either.
If you need brass drop me a note.

Posts: 1636 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rg1:
Reloading for 3 CMP Garands, one Springfield Armory Garand, a Rem 742 semiauto, and 2 bolt action 30-06's I don't see the need for a small based sizer. Only thing I see loading for Garands is that they have long chambers and as much as 6 thousandths longer than my bolt actions. May want to measure how much your sizer is pushing shoulders back and watch for case stretching. I have both RCBS and Hornady regular die sets with no issues in any of my rifles.

I will have to get a precision micrometer to check the fired brass and see how much the shoulder is moving.
The barrel is in good shape: Muzzle measures 1+, the throat measures 2.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I may just go with a basic set of RCBS dies and call it good, for now. As much as I like tinkering, am I really going to be able to make that much of a difference on the target with my "precision loads" on what is likely a 2 MOA barrel, at best?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I may just go with a basic set of RCBS dies and call it good, for now. As much as I like tinkering, am I really going to be able to make that much of a difference on the target with my "precision loads" on what is likely a 2 MOA barrel, at best?

Bruce

It's not just the barrel, it's the entire rifle. I believe I might have talked about this in the past but I'll repeat it here.

When I first started in Highpower competition in the early 1980s, the target frame was 12 feet wide and the rings were a lot bigger than now to go with the frames. I do not remember the size of the rings but I "think" the X was 20 inches, which is 4 times the size of the current high power X-ring at 10 inches.

At that time, the .308 was deing introduced in Service Rifle competion in the M-14/M11A and it was kicking the 30-06 chambered Garand. The M-14/M1A took over completely and they had to shrink the targets because the scores were too high. Make of that what you wish.

In the late 1990s, history somewhat repeated itself when the M-16/AR-15 supplanted the M1A/M-14 and the USMC was the last shooting time to move to the mousegun and after several years of losing to the US Army, which had been the first to introduce the M-16/AR-15 at Camp Perry, in 1996 (I think it was.)

That's how I remember it but memory fades.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I do like Redding dies, yes they cost more than RCBS or Lee. I have some where I just bought the sizing die then use RCBS or Lee for the other steps. I like that carbide ‘sizing button’ option for the Redding dies too.

I can see both ways on using the small base dies. I guess one would find out soon enough if they’re needed. I most often use a SB die with 223 loadings, the ammo may end up in any rifle & I have plenty of brass.

An ‘ammo checker’ is handy to check the final product.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I can't find jack for any dies at the moment. I also need 30.06 dies (except for my 1903A3) as well as .30 Carbine.

What sources are you seeing anything in stock? I went down the Google list and most places aren't even taking back orders anymore.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I see a lot of 30-06 dies on eBay, prices aren’t necessarily unrealistic. It’s whatever the market will bear. I just bought 30 Carbine dies recently, 7.62x39 too. Most common mail order places were out. I got a little stuff from Armslist too, shipped. Yeah, be careful to evaluate the seller.

Some of the stuff is slightly used, some can be new, condition is the biggie.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I see a lot of 30-06 dies on eBay, prices aren’t necessarily unrealistic. It’s whatever the market will bear. I just bought 30 Carbine dies recently, 7.62x39 too. Most common mail order places were out. I got a little stuff from Armslist too, shipped. Yeah, be careful to evaluate the seller.

Some of the stuff is slightly used, some can be new, condition is the biggie.

Agree on the last point. That's why I was pretty hesitant to pull the eBay card.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post