SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Setting Up Lee Bullet Seat / Crimp Die for Handgun Reloading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Setting Up Lee Bullet Seat / Crimp Die for Handgun Reloading Login/Join 
Deeds Not Words
posted
So I probably need one of you old salts and importantly someone with Lee experience to tell me, “Take a deep breath and follow the damn instructions sent by Lee. It will be okay!” I am not really looking to upgrade to a more expensive press or dies at this juncture.

My plan is to reload 380, 45 ACP, 44spec/Mag, & 38 Spec/ 357 mag. My space is on the couch — so I ordered and have received the Lee Hand Press Breech lock and 3 Carbide Die sets for each aforementioned caliber. I also have the Lee Manual, RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool, scale, calipers, powder funnel, and bullet block, etc. I am retired and will do small batches while the bride is stitching and snow is falling…not trying to make this complicated — which I know is kind of anathema to the whole subject.

In my research of both videos and reading people’s observations, a significant number said use of Lee Factory Crimp Die was never discouraged but they didn’t use or feel the necessity for the fourth die and handgun reloading when using the combination Seating/Crimping die in the 3 die set. So for simplicity, I just ordered the 3 Die Carbide sets for each caliber — to steal from watching one of the videos provided by a fellow reminding me of my grandfather from way back, “Easy Peasy”

So jumping forward to package arrival — Whoohoo Christmas in September but, what is this…the die kits I received were apparently upgraded(?) Instead of what I was expecting, each kit includes the caliber appropriate precision micrometer bullet seat and crimping die. Nice surprise…I guess, but then hmmmm because the provided instructions presume or strongly encourage a Factory Crimp Die. My pessimistic nature says, “well, if my surname was Lee, that would certainly be a good recommendation…”

As written, the directions provide two examples of using the die. One example, as the die is configured out of the case: conduct seating and crimping in separate actions. I presume this would require ordering the additional Factory Crimp Die. The second example as recommended only for “advanced reloaders”, seems simple but requires dissemble the die, reverse the bullet seater, and reassemble so it seats and crimps in one step. But again recommend only for advanced reloaders.

So, I guess my question is notwithstanding the micrometer, did anything really change? Most importantly, For what I am describing, can a newbie reconfigure the die, reassemble, and easily/safely combine the seating and crimping steps with this precision die?

I would prefer to keep this simple and fun — but at the same time I do like all my fingers appropriately attached and my weapons making noise when the booger hook activates the bang switch…

Thanks guys — in addition to the minimum of guffaws, inputs and experience greatly appreciated!


Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!
 
Posts: 135 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can easily and safely seat/crimp with the same die, provided all of your brass is the same length. It takes a little fiddling to get it just right to seat and crimp exactly where you want it, but once it's set it'll work just fine.

Using a hand press, eliminating the fourth die and associated steps will definitely simplify your process.

The thing about the factory crimp die (at least in the pistol caliber versions) is that it has a carbide resizer ring in it in addition to letting you set the crimp independently from the bullet seater. I reload on a progressive and use the FCD to perform a very important QC function on every loaded case at the end of the process. I have a buddy who loves to talk shit all the time about my Lee equipment, but I've seen him have numerous rounds end up oversized and fail to chamber (he even gave some to me that I fixed with the FCD), and that has literally never happened to me in hundreds of thousands of rounds.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Any comments made by this poster are my own and do not reflect the views or opinions of my employer.
 
Posts: 12032 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Awesome — thanks for the insights. FCDs enroute!


Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!
 
Posts: 135 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I am in the habit of seating & crimping as separate steps. In most instances, seems much easier. I also use separate dies for the seating, then the FCD for crimping.

I set the seating die high enough, so any crimp function never touches the case mouth. I only set the overall length of the seated bullet.

After that a separate crimp die. Yes, one could use the one die, with careful adjustments, and uniform case lengths.

Lee FCDs are relatively inexpensive, a good thing.
 
Posts: 7561 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Setting Up Lee Bullet Seat / Crimp Die for Handgun Reloading

© SIGforum 2026