SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Trying to figure out a safe starting load for CFE pistol with 147gr plated 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to figure out a safe starting load for CFE pistol with 147gr plated 9mm Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted
I have a box of Xtreme 147gr 9mm plated bullets, and CFE pistol and WSF are the two easiest powders to get hold of right now.

I am trying to develop a load for each, but the Hornady load for 147gr is for a hollow point. Is there any way I can extrapolate a safe starting point from that? I understand that it's a rather fast burning powder.

Thanks.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My Hornady manual shows CFE at 3.3 - 4.3 grains under a 147 fmj rn bt 1.165 C.O.L

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Thanks a ton. It's a start.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
My Lyman's 50th shows WSF 3.5 - 4.4 gr for a 147 gr TMJ at 1.115 OAL.

I'm assuming they're citing for a round or flat nose since other weights list bullets as "Jacketed HP" and the 147 does not.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I load 3.7 grn of CFE Pistol under 147 grn RN plated bullets. My COL is shorter at 1.10 due to the specific gun’s chamber (M&P).
It shoots great, over thousands of rounds.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
My best load using WSF and 147grn Xtremes is -
4.3 grns WSF
1.17 col
CCI 500
Mixed brass
950 fps +/- 10
P226

Recorded accuracy was the same with 4.1 grns but 4.3 was faster, so it gets the win.

My groups with 3.6 grns W231 from the P226 were noticeably smaller so, for now, that is my standard load for this particular bullet.
3.7 grns WST also gave me better groups than WSF.
YMMV.
I have not gotten to try any CFE yet.

However, for 124grn Xtreme's, 4.8 grns of WSF at 1.125 col was the clear winner for accuracy over W231 or WST.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
My Lyman 49th has WSF but not CFE and the Hornady site just has JHP listed for it. Looks like I need to update my book.

VictimNoMore - you got me thinking about my P365's chamber. It would seem that I need to load these to somewhere around 1.12" to keep them off the lands. I guess I should drop back my starting load to avoid an overpressure scenario.

I've been trying to get my hands onsome 231, but it's as unobtainable around here as Varget. Unfortunately I picked the wrong time to pick up pistol loading.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
VictimNoMore - you got me thinking about my P365's chamber. It would seem that I need to load these to somewhere around 1.12" to keep them off the lands. I guess I should drop back my starting load to avoid an overpressure scenario.

Exactly. Pick the gun with the tightest/shortest chamber, and load for that one. All other guns will feed/ function with that loading and COL, just fine.
Once I got CFE Pistol working well, I gave up on 231 and the others. It works well, and is more available in my area. Good powder.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This is helpful to me. I had loaded a bunch of Berry's 147's and shot them, but I lost the load data card. All my new loading is with coated lead and so I have data for that if you need. The last heavy bullets I used were 145gr RN coated lead from Summers Enterprises and I used

SE 145gr Coated
4.2gr CFE
WSPP
Shadow 2 pistol
75* and chrono at 15'
Gave me a high of 980fps, low of 960fps with an ES of 36 and SD of 10. Power Factor, for USPSA, was 139. So a little warmer than need be but not hot.

http://i.imgur.com/0AkEtGm.png from an old post on the Enos forum.

I used this also as a starting point. I'd look to 3.6-3.8gr of CFE-P to start.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
First range report (no photos). I shot each in the CZ P09 first because that's the one I'll cry about the least if it explodes.

Still got a lot of work to do on the CFE load.

Common between both loads:

Mixed brass
CCI small pistol primer
~1.12 length (there was some variation because I changed it to fit the P365 better and just ran the WSF load back through the seat/crimp die)
Shot from 5 yards (don't judge, I'm out of practice)

3.8gr of WSF
3.6gr of CFE

First takeaway is that I still can't shoot the P365 for shit. I'm on paper, but it's a SAS, so I'm still getting used to the bullseye sight. The 12 round mag with its grip insert is helpful but doesn't really make much if any appreciable difference. I'll set that "group" aside for now.

The WSF load is pretty close to where I want it. Accuracy out of the P09 was amazing, even with my ham hands behind the trigger. P226 was less good, but still pretty decent (I think that was more me than the ammo, though). I think if I push the load out to 3.9-4.0 I'll get what I want. Recoil was manageable. If I had to pick one load right now, this would be the one.

The CFE load, on the other hand...Needs more work. It had very low recoil, that I will say for it. Groups opened up noticeably, but not unreasonably.

I've got a Lee adjustable charge bar (I've got the stupid auto disk measure and this is the least expensive "fix" for my adjustability issues) on order. When that's in I can further refine my recipes.

I also just realized that my OP is incorrect. It wasn't Hornady that I was getting my load data from, it was Hodgdon. My phone autocorrected to Hornady.