SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    My tumbler died.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My tumbler died. Login/Join 
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted
It was a midway 1249 I've had it over 15 years.

Who makes the best tumbler IYO ? and why ? Thanks for the info.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and replaced it with another one from Midway.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and replaced it with another one from Midway.

That's what I was thinking, looking on the web site Midway doesn't sell Midway tumblers any more.

I was looking at this, for 65 bucks on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...020625891?pid=770921

Harry S. Truman

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I've got a Lyman 1200 that I've bought in the early 90's and it's still going strong.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
The Midway brand is now Frankford Arsenal. The one I bought is $62. For the same price, I would probably get the Hornady.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info Frankford, I going to with Hornady 65 bucks how bad can I get hurt.

Harry S. Truman

posted Hide Post
I've been through a butt load of tumblers with worn out motors tied with cracked drums. The best one so far has been RCBS with only one motor change in 20 years. Not sure if their tumblers are still good? If I were a new reloader I'd get a rotary drum and just use Dawn and a pinch of Lemi shine, no pins, works excellent!

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just took a look and it's a small Frankford rotary drum and without pins does an amazing job.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at china Inc.? You know the one, Harbor fright. I had a good one from a local gun shop, but my oldest son borrowed it. So for my Bday, he gave me a china special. Works just the same. I have no idea how much they cost.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Frankford arsenal that has been going strong for 6 or 7 years. The base of the bowl eventually cracked earlier this year, and I repaired it with JB Weld, but I was concerned that it wouldn't hold up over the long-term. I emailed Frankford Arsenal, and they responded quickly and shipped me a new one no questions asked. It was on backorder so it took a couple of months to get it, but I was still up and running with my JB Welded bowl, so it was no big deal. The new bowl showed up a couple of weeks ago and it's out in the garage full of .223 brass right now. I was very happy with their customer service.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Just took a look and it's a small Frankford rotary drum and without pins does an amazing job.

So you just dump the cases in with water, Dawn, and Lemi Shine?

How long do you let them run?

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with the Lyman Turbo tumbler. But I bought it decades ago, the newer ones might not be made as well.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman Turbo, about 11 years old, works great still.

Nick
nick_mur

Posts: 98 | Location: Peoria IL | Registered: December 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just ran a load of .45 ACP,no pins just Dawn and a pinch of Lemi shine. Cases look great, the more you have at one time the better but I only ran about 75 cases and with a 2 hour run time their ready to load after drying.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I went to wet tumbling and won’t be going back. Yes it’s more work to separate the pins from the brass and time to dry brass. But my brass is better than new.

I use a thumblers tumbler and SS pins

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also prefer wet tumbling to dry and have recently bought 5 lbs. of stainless steel chips as tumbling media to replace the pins:

https://www.sleepinggiantbrass...NLESS-TUMBLING-MEDIA

There are other brands and companies that sell these chips but I went with Sleeping Giant as it was recommended by another forum member.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post