SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Okay I caved on the primer debacle…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay I caved on the primer debacle… Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
…I’ve been holding off buying primers…until I was pretty much down to my last…I’ve been checking my local brick and mortar stores since early last week…looking for small rifle primers (best local price was 13.99 per 100…eff that noise, even from a local “mom and pop” …I found these from an online distributor I have bought from many times…”American Reloading”…5000 CCI #450 SRP for $419 for 5000 with zero hazmat, sales tax and zero shipping…it hurt and not cheap as they once were…but under Biden what it is…is. I can see 5000 .223 and .300 BO coming down the pike soon Razz…sorry Benton Shooters Supply, yall priced gouged AR buyers a few years ago…maybe a little less “consumer loyalty” will even things up…fuck y’all!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I had over 10k primers on hand when all this started, and then lucked into a decent supply of "second-hand" primers for a decent price about a year into the stupidity, and that has kept me going, but I'm running out again and have had to scrounge for stuff. I've paid $100/1000 a couple of times when I could find them, and just this past weekend I bought 3 100ct boxes locally for $11.99 each, because the place had a limit of 3.

The biggest problem I've found is even if you're willing to pay the exhorbitant prices, many online places limit the quantity that you can buy so you get screwed on the hazmat and shipping too by not being able to make a bulk order. Manufacturers really need to get off their asses on the primer thing...this has been going on far too long and there has to be a better solution than what they are doing.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My daughter messaged me that the guy remodeling her restaurant had three thousand CCI #41 AR primers and a thousand CCI magnum LPP primers he was not going to use (he no longer reloads) and he is gifting them to me… Woo Hoo!…I’m pretty much set for the near future (all those 8 lb. Jugs of surplus pulled down military powder I bought from American Reloading before this Bullshit started will now be put to good use!) Razz Razz Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that was a good price for the CCI, I checked and they have Turkish primers now.

Its a positive note that primers are becoming available, hopefully the price starts to drop some with the increased supply,

if any one is in Northern Indiana

A local gun shop Michiana Firearms in Plymouth Indiana just received a large supply of Winchester primers the small pistol I believe are $90 / 1000 the Rifle and Large Pistol are a touch higher.

Not the best pricing but
No limit to how ever many you want and no shipping or Hazmat because your picking up.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
That price is about average for the time, compared to online pricing you're coming out ahead considering you don't have any hazmat fees or shipping.

I bought a 5k box of Ginex SRP for competition purposes a few months ago, otherwise I have been trying to do my part to not to feed the trolls, so to speak. Fortunately my free time has worked out to where I'm unable to shoot as much so my supply is less affected, but this isn't always the case.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michiana Firearms in Plymouth

That's only about 45 minutes from me...I may need to take a trip on my day off and see if they still have any. That's as good a price as I've seen anywhere these days...local shop wans $149.99/1000.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech

I was sort of thinking you were reasonable close

You may call before heading there, he said he had a lot in stock at the beginning of the week , but who knows how sales are going, his shop is very popular.

If interested you can sign up and get on his email list every now and then he has some things of interest.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
92fstech

I was sort of thinking you were reasonable close

You may call before heading there, he said he had a lot in stock at the beginning of the week , but who knows how sales are going, his shop is very popular.

If interested you can sign up and get on his email list every now and then he has some things of interest.

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'm off half the day on Friday...will have to see if we can find some time to make it over there. Could be a fun trip even if they don't have any primers left...always fun to check out the inventory.

I paid $105/1000 at Tomlinson's in Churrubusco a few months back, but they're all out now. Two Bear Arms in Etna Green had them for $90/box a while back, but they haven't had any in a while. Albertson's in Warsaw is the store that has them for $150.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
RC thanks again for the heads up. I got over there today and bought 1000 SP and 1000 LR. Expensive, but better than anywhere else, and it'll keep us shooting for a little longer, so it was worth it.

posted Hide Post
Great

Thanks for the update on the other locations

It’s been a bit since I have been to any of them

We used to have enough of a network of shooters
That we could do group buys, hazmat and shipping were minimal or non existent, prices were excellent but after COVID we can not get the deals we used to.

Hopefully with the overseas primers hitting the market, we will then see more available US primers appearing on the shelves.

I’ll know we have turned the corner when I can buy Federal small pistol reasonable so I can feed my revolvers.

RC