SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Swaging 45ACP Small Primer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swaging 45ACP Small Primer Login/Join 
and this little pig said:
posted
I have about 1K 45ACP casings that accept small pistol primers. Would I be able to swage the primer pocket to large pistol without affecting safety? The cases are Blazer. I can always use small pistol, but this requires examining each case every time. Thanks for the replies!!! -ODIN

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
You won't be able to swage it enough to open it up to Large Pistol primer.

Using a drill press would be a major PIA with the possibility of ruining the cases unless you were extremely careful.

If I were you, I'd either trade them, sell them, or throw them away.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Man hours to work primer pockets overshadows actual loading time for 1000 cartridges. I now throw those into the junk bucket that goes to the recycler.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
See if you can't sell or trade them.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I did was put all my small primered 45acp brass in a clearly marked container. If I run out of LP brass during winter reloading sessions then that is used. Loaded rounds with the SP brass in a separate container. That way I don’t mix them up reloading and shooting.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Thanks! My thinking was not leaning towards swaging the pockets, but wanted to know if it's possible.

I have the cases separated by primer size and will probably reload one or the other as my primer supply dictates.....

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I guess it would be possible to set up a metal turning lathe for this job of converting small primer pockets into large primer pockets.
It would entail boatloads of finesse. The average reloader is NOT equipped for this task.

Depth stops.
(can't have primer pockets too deep or too shallow. SAAMI tolerance is 0.117" to 0.123" for the large pistol pocket depth, so pretty tight tolerance on depth, 0.006" total depth variation allowed)

A set of hand made precision ground & heat treated GO/NO-GO gauges for the diameter of the new large primer pockets.
(can't have primer pockets too loose or too tight, too loose they fall out, too tight and you'll crush primers when seating them,
SAAMI tolerance is 0.2085" to 0.210" for large pistol primer pocket diameter, yes that's one and a half thousandths of an inch total diameter variation allowed)

It is possible... But you won't be doing that with a Craftsman cordless drill and a bit.

Before I even started that task, I would be cutting some LP and SP brass in half lengthwise, and inspecting the case heads cross sectional area to be certain that the cases with small primer pockets had enough "meat" in the web of the case heads for the conversion to large pistol primer pockets.

I personally wouldn't do it unless those small primer pocket .45ACP cases were the last .45ACP brass available on the planet. And... All I had was large pistol primers.

Back when ammo was cheap, I bought a 1000 round case of .45ACP ball ammo many years ago. And that case of .45ACP has small primer pockets.
My plan was leave them on the ground for the brass scavengers. I may need to rethink that plan.
In the past I only reloaded .45ACP with large primer pockets.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1530 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I have Mrs. Flash sort the brass, then keep it in separate buckets, one labeled .45 ACP LP and one labeled .45 ACP SP.

Once in a while I load up some small primer ones just for the heck of it.

They shoot fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are aggravating to sort out but they do have uses, even if your main supply is large.

I gave some ,45 Small to a friend who wanted them to prime with Federals for use in a revolver with limber spring kit.
I have loaded some .45 Small to shoot at Lost Brass matches.
I am keeping some .45 Small in case small primer supplies recover from the panicdemic sooner.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
They are in the supply chain now and are not going away. They were forged by Satan but I save mine and load them and shoot them in lost brass matches.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post