SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Primer size question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer size question Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
For the first time, I'm reloading some 10mm using assorted brass. it has all been tumbled, deprimed, reamed, sized, and checked for OAL.

I'm using large pistol primers but so far out of 55 cases, I've had about 12 that won't accept the LPP. Could some of these (I've checked, they are all marked 10mm) cases be for small primers?

I've not tried any yet since I thought 10mm required LPP. If they need SPP, should I use just standard or Magnum, if it even matters.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Looks like 10mm’s do come in SPP as well.

Cartridges with SPP for sale

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5757 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Looks like 10mm’s do come in SPP as well.

Cartridges with SPP for sale

This seems to be spreading from .45ACP to other calibers…about 25% of .45ACP brass I pick up as range scrap (especially after our County Sheriff’s Department uses our range for qualifying) our city police are still banned for giving away the gate combination to our private range…why the changes in primer sizes…it’s gotta be that ammunition manufacturers are preparing for upcoming changes to availability Confused

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I thought I'd got a bad batch of primers or something.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference between large and small is, or should be, visually apparent. Might some of your cases be nickled Speer? Speer crimps their primers in Gold Dot loadings and the primer pocket must be chamfered to accept the correct primer. At least that has been my experience reloading for 45ACP.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Drawing from the SAAMI website.
If you keep two appropriately sized twist drill bits on your reloading bench, you can use the shank (the part of the drill bit that goes in the drill chuck) as a pin gauge.
One for small, the other for large. Verify shank diameter with a micrometer or accurate caliper.

Primer_Primer Pocket Dimensions by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1547 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
The difference between large and small is, or should be, visually apparent. Might some of your cases be nickled Speer? Speer crimps their primers in Gold Dot loadings and the primer pocket must be chamfered to accept the correct primer. At least that has been my experience reloading for 45ACP.

First thing I thought of. As has been said, it should be obvious if they are large or small primer pockets.

Is that it or did you just have seating issues?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post