SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Anyone Loading 7.5x55 Swiss?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Loading 7.5x55 Swiss? Login/Join 
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted
I found some PPU 7.5x55 174 fmj loaded rounds that will eventually get burned up and the brass reloaded.

I've heard that 7.5x55 can be a more tricky round to reload.

Anyone have any favorite recipes and tips and tricks?

Thank you.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I load reload for that round. It's no different than loading for any other type caliber. Don't know why you've heard it can be tricky. Doesn't make sense.

I load 150 grain FMJ for range and 165 grain soft point for hunting. Powder is IMR-4350. Very accurate caliber.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We have a K-31 in good shape, shoots well. My son took a deer with it on a youth hunt. Most rounds are reloaded. I put it in the 308 realm.

I normally load with H-4895 powder, mid loads since it’s just casual range shooting usually.

I don’t recall anything more unusual than any other rifle cartridge.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I found some PPU 7.5x55 174 fmj loaded rounds that will eventually get burned up and the brass reloaded.

I've heard that 7.5x55 can be a more tricky round to reload.

Anyone have any favorite recipes and tips and tricks?

Thank you.

Yeah, it can be tricky - Correct dies and seating depth are the reason. If loading for a K31 (I do) I went with Redding dies. I think Hornady did/do make a 7.5x55 die marked "K31" as well. They are designed and made to correctly size the case for this rifle. Seating depth using almost all traditional .308" diameter bullets results in very deep seating, so the full diameter shank behind the ogive won't run into the very short leade.

It would be great to get bullets designed for this caliber having a reduced diameter just below the ogive, so the bullets could be seated a bit longer. I asked Privi Partizan about selling this 174 grain bullet, and they had no plans to do so?

I use IMR 4895 since it goes so well with all of my other C&R rifles, including semis, but also have some 180 grain rounds using IMR 4831 to test someday. Here is some mild data that despite a poor loading density, shoots like a house of fire... Big surprise huh.

K31: 45 gr IMR 4895 CCI 200 150 gr Horn SP Privi cases 2594 2624 2510 AV 2576 ES 114 SD 59

Good luck.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also reload for k31. If possible use redding or rcbs dies. I use imr4064 powder. Make sure to check for bolt crack occasionally. It can ruin your day.

Posts: 66 | Registered: February 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can get some 284 Winchester cases, expand the neck back up to 30 cal, and you have just re-invented the 7.5x55. Bonus, those are really tough cases, seem to last forever. For loading data, any mid range 308 Winchester load seems to chrono about the same in a K31. There is a Swiss Rifle Forum. Join. Nice group, and a world of information there.

Posts: 1636 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post