SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    A question on dented brass
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question on dented brass Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
We went out this afternoon and put a few rounds through a recently-assembled AR (most of the components from Palmetto State) just for a quick function check. It works, so that's that.

But... I recovered the brass and noticed a dent in every one. The location is consistent, for what that's worth. Is this dent a big deal? Will it be problematic if we go to reload these?

Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Some guns dent more than others on ejection. We have an AK in 223, very rough on brass. I look them over, some I don’t try to reload, most I do.

With the dents pictured I would try a normal resizing. Sometimes I run them through the sizing die, rotate the case 180, then do it again. That may not matter or be required, just something I do.

After sizing I have a case/cartridge checker I use for samples, another check.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Those cases are impacting something on their way out of the rifle. Either the edge of the ejection port or the case deflector. Either way it doesn't look nearly bad enough to worry about. Just do a regular full length resize on them. Any dent that's left after that will be fireformed out on the next firing (likely to be re-dented the same way they were the first time though, so don't be surprised to see this recurring).

I suppose that after enough firings the cases would become weakened in that area and eventually start to crack there. I can't say how many firings that would be, maybe somebody else has some empirical numbers on that. It's probably worth getting into the habit of visually inspecting them before reloading them, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

One thing you might consider doing is marking all of the cases somehow, a Sharpie maybe, to identify them as a batch (I'm presuming here that you initially obtained them all in a single purchase as opposed to picking up brass of unknown history on the range). When one or two of those cases eventually start to fail, then it may be time to toss the entire batch.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Try a heavier buffer on the AR and you might not get brass as badly dented.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
As others have said, the dents will iron out on the next firing and don't present any kind of a problem for reloading.

Load em up and shoot em.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
It's probably worth getting into the habit of visually inspecting them before reloading them, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

I don't do a super-close inspection, but I do look closely enough to see a pattern like this.

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I'm presuming here that you initially obtained them all in a single purchase as opposed to picking up brass of unknown history on the range

True. These pieces were new (as in never-before fired, though I've had them in inventory for a good long while).
I hadn't thought of marking batches, but that's certainly doable. I do usually shoot from a single batch when I get some range time, and I try to collect my own empties.

quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Try a heavier buffer on the AR and you might not get brass as badly dented.

I definitely hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
As others have said, the dents will iron out on the next firing and don't present any kind of a problem for reloading.

Load em up and shoot em.

Good deal. Thanks, all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Normal, for any AR rifle. The brass is hitting the brass deflector hump on the side of the gun. You can choke down on the gas if you have an adjustable gas block and you may be able to change where it’s landing or even the amount of dent in the brass, but IMHO I wouldn’t bother. Most guns are over gassed so that they will feed a bunch of different ammo and still work.

The brass will reload just fine.

If you don’t change out buffers you can put a square of Velcro (the loop side) on the deflector bump and it will reduce or even remove the dent.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the outer edge on the rear of the ejection port that causes the sharp lined crease on the case in the pic and like Mike and most everone else said it'll reload just fine. Most cases will split the neck area before the crease will be a problem. I did a whole lot of reloading for a Sheriffs Dept back home I was on during a break from the Air Force.

Steve.........

NRA Patron Life member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Posts: 22 | Location: SEMO | Registered: March 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I agree with RNshooter ,but those littlebidy dent does not cause any problems.
Brass from linked guns,not thats a problem

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
True, the dents will iron out when next fired, but then they will get dented again when ejected… Cool

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
True, the dents will iron out when next fired, but then they will get dented again when ejected… Cool

True, but who cares if they get dented again?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

True, but who cares if they get dented again?

I guess the same people who cared that they got dented in the first place… Wink

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Somehow that brings to mind, "that'll buff right out!" Razz

(And bang back in!) Big Grin

Thanks, all, for the advice. I'll clean 'em up and we'll go again.

God bless America.

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

Somehow that brings to mind, "that'll buff right out!" Razz

(And bang back in!) Big Grin

Thanks, all, for the advice. I'll clean 'em up and we'll go again.

Big Grin

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen shooters that have taken a small square of Velcro cut to fit and stuck on the face of case deflector…seems to work..Oops MikeinNC done beat me to it Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post