SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Rcbs little dandy rotors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rcbs little dandy rotors Login/Join 
posted
I ordered an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure. I am using HP-38 powder. Is there a source for which rotors throw what load?

Posts: 92 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I use a good weight scale ,always have for over five decades,never had much faith in trinkets ,dippers etc.
That powder is pretty forgiving and is about the same as 231 .I have uses many jugs of 231 for moistly 38 special and 9 mm.
I load on 550's but use balance beam to get the charge set on the dillons

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filipows:
I ordered an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure. I am using HP-38 powder. Is there a source for which rotors throw what load?

Here you go. Like 45 cal says, verify that the chart is right by weighing your charge after throwing it with the little dandy.

https://www.rcbs.com/on/demand...LittleDandyChart.pdf

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a Little Dandy for a while.
The good news is that a fixed charge measure can save a lot of double checking.
The bad news is that the chart is just a ballpark guide and a deep outfield at that. I did not have any rotor that delivered what the chart said.

quote:
That powder is pretty forgiving and is about the same as 231 .

It is now THE SAME powder.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I used a Little Dandy for a while.
The good news is that a fixed charge measure can save a lot of double checking.
The bad news is that the chart is just a ballpark guide and a deep outfield at that. I did not have any rotor that delivered what the chart said.

The same is true of every powder measure I have and all the powder bushings I use with my shotshell reloaders.

I have a feeling the fact that they're all off may have something to do with lawyers and their requirements, much like how every owners manual seems to say "don't shoot reloads" and Glocks and some others say "don't shoot lead bullets'.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There was a guy, not sure if still active, that sold adjustable rotors for the Little Dandy. I have one, works great. It has an Allen head to adjust the internal volume, works fine to tune the charge.

The guy was on ‘the firing line’ forums, may be gone now. One could show up with an eBay or Google search. When I got my L.D. powder measure, I went adjustable right away, never bought any fixed rotors.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to RCBS web sight they have a chart you can print that shows what rotor throws for several different powders. I really like mine because I have it mounted on my T7 press, works great.

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is alive and well. Bill White in NC. I just got one from him. Excellent communication and fabulous service.

Now the question is how do I Accurately repeatably measure (Weigh)the charge. Have been checking/testing my RCBS digital. Not sure I can ever get a real measurement to with in a tenth of grain.
Most claim +/- 0.1. which is to say a range of two tenths. I'm not sure I actually reliable discern 4.4 vs 4.5 grains.

"There was a guy, not sure if still active, that sold adjustable rotors for the Little Dandy".

I have one, works great. It has an Allen head to adjust the internal volume, works fine to tune the charge.

Posts: 92 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filipows:
He is alive and well. Bill White in NC. I just got one from him. Excellent communication and fabulous service.

Now the question is how do I Accurately repeatably measure (Weigh)the charge. Have been checking/testing my RCBS digital. Not sure I can ever get a real measurement to with in a tenth of grain.
Most claim +/- 0.1. which is to say a range of two tenths. I'm not sure I actually reliable discern 4.4 vs 4.5 grains.

"There was a guy, not sure if still active, that sold adjustable rotors for the Little Dandy".

I have one, works great. It has an Allen head to adjust the internal volume, works fine to tune the charge.

If you're reloading handgun, which I'm sure you are, I'm not sure why you would care about +/- 0.1 grains, but if you want to there are high priced scales out there that will resolve that amount.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, I take a little time to set mine up, adjust, throw a few, then weigh a few. I’ll also ‘rezero’ my scale in during this to get an accurate reading.

If on the edge, most any scale could flip to a smidgen more on the charge at times. I may just work a certain side of my desired, exact charge. Say I want 4.3, but would rather it go towards 4.4, than 4.2, I’ll work the high side.

Of course I have a little daylight above my charges so I’m not above any max.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post