SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Waterproof experiment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterproof experiment Login/Join 
posted
Recovering from Covid sucks and I’m bored. So I’ve got my Mityvac vacuum pump hooked up to a fired Winchester White box 45ACP case mouth. Set to 27 inches of mercury initially.
5:30 25 inches of mercury. I figure I’ll try a few empty cartridges, maybe pull some live ammo and test those too. Then seal the primers with nail polish and compare.

Posts: 882 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1:58 minutes from 27 inches to 0

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So, you’re putting live ammo in a jar and measuring to see if you can draw air from a live case?

Try a military round . The bullet is sealed with asphalt varnish, the primers are sealed and staked. IIRC the military ammo was supposed to be waterproof down to 90’ (I could be off by a few feet)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
For some reason I’m kinda thinking we could find a better task or experiment. For the average, shooter, bloke, hunter & such, moisture getting in then rendering the round inoperative seems very unlikely.

Say one carried ammo on a cartridge belt in the rain, even that can’t say I’ve ever done it where the rounds weren’t at least partially protected. Of course any water would have zero pressure pushing it past the primer or bullet.

I’m always a little behind on cleaning up & organizing my reloading area. It’s also a good idea to clean & lightly lube dies once in a while.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually no Mike, I plugged the mouth of a fired 45 ACP case and was drawing 29” Hg of vacuum from there to see how long the vacuum would hold before enough air leaked past the fired primer and brought the vacuum back down to nothing.
I forgot to do a control on the system yesterday. I’m doing that now. The control being drawing a vacuum on the hoses and connectors without a cartridge on the end of the hose. If the time it holds vacuum without a cartridge roughly equals the time with a cartridge, then I’ll know that there is a leak in the system and yesterdays test will be invalid.

posted Hide Post
After 1 hour the system has held 27” so there are no leaks. I’ll try some nail polish on the primer, let it dry, then see if it holds longer. Any requests for a different sealer, let me know.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Interesting experiemnt. I've dunked ammo a few times (kinda by extension, really... I dunked myself, and my gun was on me, and the ammo was in the gun), but it was always federal HST that has sealant on the primer from the factory. I replaced the ammo as a precaution, but it all fired when I took it to the range. I was only in the water for a minute or so, though...and only seconds the second time.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have some HST in 45. I’ll pull one round if I do and see how the vacuum holds through it’s unfired primer.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've accidentally run reloads and factory ammo through the clothes washer numerous times.

It fired each and every time when I took it to the range.

No sealant, no nail polish, nothing but neck and primer pocket tension.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some HST in 45 ACP. I’ve got a hose over the projectile with vacuum on it. I’ll give it 45 minutes or so and check it.

posted Hide Post
No loss of vacuum there. I emailed Federal earlier and they did confirm they seal their HST ammo. Looks like it works.

posted Hide Post
Back to the fired cartridge this time with cheap nail polish around the primer.

posted Hide Post
The nail polish did the trick on the fired case. No loss of vacuum.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I've accidentally run reloads and factory ammo through the clothes washer numerous times.

It fired each and every time when I took it to the range.

No sealant, no nail polish, nothing but neck and primer pocket tension.

Same here.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Cool experiment 400m.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have vacuum on a fired .38 spl case right now. No nail polish on the primer and vacuum is holding.
I realize statistically my experiment means nothing but it has led me to believe that 99¢ of nail polish on the primers of ammo meant for serious business can’t hurt.
I doubt Federal Cartridge would go through the trouble on their HST ammo if it didn’t make a good deal of difference.
Another observation that some may find a bit silly and unnecessary is that even at the dollar store there is a nice selection of colors. It might come in handy for identifying range/match/practice ammo.
Next I think I’ll flip some loaded rounds around and see how airtight the projectile/case mouth junction is and if nail polish helps any leaks there.

posted Hide Post
If anyone can figure out how to make a primer fall out of a loaded cartridge I’m all ears. I’d love to eliminate the primer from the equation when testing the case mouth but I’m not willing to risk eyes and fingertips to do it.
Also I was thinking of loading cartridges with cobalt chloride test paper and tossing those rounds into a pond for different lengths of time. So if anyone has access to a private pond/lake within a few counties of DuPage county Il, let me know.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another observation that some may find a bit silly and unnecessary is that even at the dollar store there is a nice selection of colors. It might come in handy for identifying range/match/practice ammo.

I know guys who use colored sharpie markers to do exactly that. Nail polish isn't a bad idea...and it adds another layer of protection. I'm not really familiar with the stuff...it can't flake off when struck by the firing pin and over time gun up the channel, could it?

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure if it would or not. I’m pretty sure the military uses sealed ammo and I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a lacquer based product. Something to research unless anybody knows the answer.

posted Hide Post
I’m not experienced enough on the forum to know how to capture a quote but if you scroll up and read what MikeinNC said, that may be the answer.