SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    25-20 brass or ammo source ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-20 brass or ammo source ? Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Posted wtb in the classifieds, curious if anyone has seen any ammo or brass available anywhere ?

While we’re at it , anyone reload it and have any tips?

I’ve reloaded plenty modern cartridges over the years, this one looks like it might be a little finicky ala 22 hornet etc.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It can be made from 32-20 brass, if you can find any of that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Bertram Brass has new at $175.00 per 100. I see pleanty on the Broker but even there it's $100.00 plus per 100 fired. The brass used to be a lot easier to find. I had RCBS Cow boy dies for it and the .32-20. Those were beautiful die sets with gloss blued finish and brass lock rings. They came boxed in old fashion card board boxes with metal supported corners. Man, myself and a friend used to load black powder loads in the .25-20 and the .25-20 SS. The man had thousands of new Hornet brass loaded, to fire form for .22 SS. I've even cast bullets and loaded these early rounds on the old nickle plated Winchester hand loading tools. Thanks for stirring up some memories.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Curious, are you feeding a lever gun or a single shot? If a single shot, what rifle?

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Lever gun
Picked up one of the Marlin 1894CL models
It’s probably the only new gun chambered in that cartridge for 100 years ?

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Winchester and Remington have made runs of brass in the last several years; I snagged a few bags of Winchester because some of my existing stash is reaching the end of its reloading life. Most prices I see online are very high and I don't see them selling.

I would check Sportsman's Warehouse. They had Remington brass listed on their website last winter, and I actually saw some on one of their store shelves. I think it usually sells out pretty quick, as the guys that know/need snap it up. The best go-to for brass is probably Huntington Die Specialties. Brass can be made fairly easily from more commonly available .32-20 brass, but expect to ruin a few cases in the process.

Remington made a run of ammo in the standard 86 grain JSP loading a few years ago. I've seen some in a few small rural stores. (I'll check around when I have time and let you know if I find anything.)

As far as loading, I haven't found it to be particularly difficult as long as you exercise the same precautions you would with any of the WCF rounds. Brass is thin, so don't over-flare case mouths and don't over-crimp. My favorite powders have been IMR4227 and AA1680. I've messed with the 60 grain and 85 grain bullets, but the Speer 75 grain JFP is the absolute best in terms of accuracy and bullet performance as far as I'm concerned. It's such a great bullet that Speer probably doesn't make it any more. Montana Bullet Works offers their high quality cast bullets in the caliber. I've got a box that I need to get around loading.

As far as published resources beyond the usual loading manuals, Ken Waters classic "Pet Loads" offers excellent information. Brian Pearce wrote an excellent article on loading for the cartridge several years ago in "Handloader" magazine. If you can't locate these articles, let me know and I'll get copies made for you. (Hunting season is spinning-up and it might be awhile before I get to it.)

The .25-20 is a wonderful little cartridge and worth the effort it takes to get it running.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good info!
I can probably scrounge some 32-20 brass a little easier
I’ve been known to pick hard to find calibers, but this may be the toughest yet

quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Both Winchester and Remington have made runs of brass in the last several years; I snagged a few bags of Winchester because some of my existing stash is reaching the end of its reloading life. Most prices I see online are very high and I don't see them selling.

I would check Sportsman's Warehouse. They had Remington brass listed on their website last winter, and I actually saw some on one of their store shelves. I think it usually sells out pretty quick, as the guys that know/need snap it up. The best go-to for brass is probably Huntington Die Specialties. Brass can be made fairly easily from more commonly available .32-20 brass, but expect to ruin a few cases in the process.

Remington made a run of ammo in the standard 86 grain JSP loading a few years ago. I've seen some in a few small rural stores. (I'll check around when I have time and let you know if I find anything.)

As far as loading, I haven't found it to be particularly difficult as long as you exercise the same precautions you would with any of the WCF rounds. Brass is thin, so don't over-flare case mouths and don't over-crimp. My favorite powders have been IMR4227 and AA1680. I've messed with the 60 grain and 85 grain bullets, but the Speer 75 grain JFP is the absolute best in terms of accuracy and bullet performance as far as I'm concerned. It's such a great bullet that Speer probably doesn't make it any more. Montana Bullet Works offers their high quality cast bullets in the caliber. I've got a box that I need to get around loading.

As far as published resources beyond the usual loading manuals, Ken Waters classic "Pet Loads" offers excellent information. Brian Pearce wrote an excellent article on loading for the cartridge several years ago in "Handloader" magazine. If you can't locate these articles, let me know and I'll get copies made for you. (Hunting season is spinning-up and it might be awhile before I get to it.)

The .25-20 is a wonderful little cartridge and worth the effort it takes to get it running.

--Riff Raff--

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I asked a fellow Cowboy Action shooter who has the caliber about his sources…he said to check with these folks (he said it’s somewhat “hit or miss” with availability but it’s a start)…

https://reloadingbrassusa.com/...25-20-wcf-bag-of-50/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Midway USA shows ammo in stock now. Brass is out of stock.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post