SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Multiple single stage presses vs turret
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multiple single stage presses vs turret Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think we all have varying uses with reloading. Some are into higher round counts with few cartridges, I switch around a fair bit.

I get by with my 4 station turret type press. Right now it’s set up for 45 acp loading, may do more today.

Posts: 5027 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve decluttered my loading bench by removing my 3 single stage presses and pared it down to my older than dirt Dillon RL450 and the Lyman All American 8 turret press I purchased earlier this year…it’s heavy and well made…I just received an email from Natches with a sale on the full press kit…it’s turret can accept two 4 die pistol die setup or four 2 die rifle setup…

https://www.natchezss.com/lyma...ng-kit.html?___SID=U

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10302 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used single stage presses for decades, starting as a teen. I used the lee hand press, which looks like a V with a pivot point at the base of the V. Originally I did everything on one press, changing dies with each operation. Eventually I had several presses, each with a die, and I'd just swap one to the other. It took eighteen hours to do 1,000 rounds. I shot 15,000 to 20,000 rounds a year.

I finally broke down and got a Dillon, just recently. I can cut that eighteen hours down to two or three, depending on what's going on. With the quick change kits, each with their own powder measure and all the dies set up, just slide in the whole set and it's ready to go.

With the individual hand presses, changing cartridges or loads or bullet designs or lengths, means either more presses, or changing dies, which generally means re-adjusting everything.

Posts: 6352 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post