SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What does your state require for CCW qualification?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does your state require for CCW qualification? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got my carry permit in Pa today . No classes needed .. I had one 20 years ago but let it expire ,, Anyway Pa must be one of the easiest to get because as some one else already pointed out in this thread i is simple 1 page aplication with 2 references required .. Snap your pic hand you a laminated card collect 20 bucks and send you on your merry way ,, Good for 5 years.. They are of course extra busy because of the corona and riots so they are staying open till 8pm 2 days a week to better serve the public

Posts: 52 | Location: pennsylvainia | Registered: July 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NH has constitutional carry so literally nothing. If you want a permit for travel (I keep one for this), $10 and a one page application to the local PD. They have 2 weeks to issue it. My first time around back in 2007, an officer even delivered it to me. You couldn't even have a pizza delivered in town back then. haha.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup! A pulse may even be optional. But the lack of training or qualification has always held us back when it comes to reciprocal agreements.

But still, there are only 17 states that do not allow a PA resident to carry a concealed firearm in that state without a separate concealed carry license issued by that state.

So 33 out of 50 isn't to bad for a simple $20 and a walk in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaching is a skill,
Standing in front of people and talking is
standing in front of people and talking.

After four c.w. permit classes in three states , In thirty years.

I found my Illinois 16 hour " class" to be 8/10 th's a giant joke.

The test is to see how long you can endure opinions, babble and anicdotes.

a dozen youtube video's
including two with Hickock 45 and two with Mas Ayoob

Very disappointing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They ( the state)
Says that we will get our cards within 120 days,
Since covid,
And 20 less state employees, to process the permits.

It's looking more like 200 days

Permit requests are up in The Land of Lincoln, by 35%

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
8 hour class. 50 rounds fired at three different distances to show proficiency.
I’ve had mine since the beginning of the program in Texas, 1995.
It has changed quite a bit since then.
After all my renewals, I basically just have to go online and give them a CC number. No class, no shooting. TXDPS sends me a new card.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tinyman:
In Alabama, I showed my Retired Military card, filled in the application, paid $1.00 for lamination, and walked. Only bad thing is since my prior military service the CCW must be done annually -- the good thing is it only cost one buck for lamination. Enjoyed talking to the office lady too. RTR

On my renual, found out the money collected goes to the sheriffs office, so paid $75 for five year CCW -- plastic and they got my photo from "the system" -- same pic that is on my drivers license. Figured money well spent and don't have to stand in line again till I'm 76.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Be legal to buy/own a gun, stand for a photo and a few bucks every five years or so.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
NY has a safety class, but no actual qualification. Some counties require a certificate of live fire, but it's for safe operation not for score.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think FL took my DD214 for 'quals' when I got it, forever ago.

Same as of last year when I moved to FL. Also they expedite former military permit applications so I got mine in about three weeks. I was told a normal permit application takes up to 90 days.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nada

Man I miss Georgia. In addition to no requirements for the permit, if you have a valid permit there is no background check when buying a firearm. You fill out the 4473, they copy your permit and DL, you pay for it and leave gun in hand. In FL even with a permit you have to get a background check, which recently has taken up to a few days to complete. I’m here until my kids graduate high school and unless something changes I’m moving back to GA.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Required in my state.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Background check, fingerprinting, fee. That's all.

Lifetime license is an option.

Posts: 17 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
WV= Constitutional Carry. Nothing required.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in California and have a CCW in both California and Utah. California renews every two years, total cost for the renewal comes to about $110. Utah renews every five years, cost for renewal is about $25.

In California I was required to watch a four hour video presentation which was done by one of our Sheriff's Deputies. It was very well done and I didn't feel like my time was wasted. In Utah I watched a very short video (less than 10 minutes) dealing with gun safety and suicide prevention.

In California I had to go to the range and demonstrate my ability to safely load, fire and reload my firearms (I can have three on the permit, max). The distance to the target was three yards, no one paid attention to my marksmanship. Cost for the range was $25.00. In Utah, there is no limit to the number of guns you may carry. As California will not recognize a permit, issued by another State, the California permit is not accepted by other states.

There were probably 150 people at the range, the night I went. About half of the people were first-time applicants for the permit.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Louisiana 6 hrs class room and range time.
12 rounds at 5 yrds with a reload after 6 rounds
12 rounds at 7 yrds with a reload after 6 rounds
12 rounds at 10 yrds with a reload after 6 rounds
That was 7 years ago could have changed??

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Right now, a clean record, and a couple of Jacksons. But of course, Sideshow Bob, and his Billionaire Buddies are trying to change that.

And failed, at least in his first attempt. Over a year ago he could've succeeded. What a difference a year makes. Particularly THIS year.

Obvious self-serving political gains only takes a weasel so far. And now in the harsh light of The Virus, it's doubtful that Komrade Bobbie will have that grassroots support that he once thought he had, given that so many of the constituency that he was pandering to are the very same groups across the state (but especially in Puget Sound) who are the dominant driving force in the massive spike in gun and ammo sales in this state. He may continue to try to erode the CPL process but so many of those who once might've voted him into the governor's mansion aren't in step anymore. Not in the wake of police defunding, wanton anarchist violence and mountains of toilet paper to protect. No, he's no longer the Mary Sue that he once thought he wuz. Especially with so many people questioning his focus on being lawsuit-happy, playing politician and trying to be a policy-maker rather than being a policy-enforcer.

As for the original question: yeah, no prior qualifying. Just an ability to fill out the application form, fingerprinting, moola to pay for the processing of the background check and of course passing said check. All done by the applicant's police department. Only these days it can be hard finding an agency actually willing to accept applications. Something about "unnecessarily" exposing fingerprint techs to the virus or some such chickenshit excuses.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Illinois, we have what may be some of the more demanding CCW licensing requirements, for a CCW permit that is extremely limited in where we may actually carry. Although I've been an instructor in a large federal program for over 15 years, I only recently completed this IL CCW course last week. Illinois requires 16 hours of continuous classroom training (even during COVID 19) and an IL State Police approved CCW qualification course of fire which requires 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards, 10 rounds from 7 yards, and 10 rounds from 10 yards.
To pass, you must get 21 of the 30 rounds inside the silhouette, which is quite a generous target area. The course of fire is untimed, must be supervised by an IL CCW certified instructor, and it's done on na Illinois Dept of Corrections B-27 silhouette target. This is a black and white background silhouette target (unusual these days) so it's harder to see your hits than on most LE targets which are generally light blue or green these days. I was able to complete the IL CCW qualification course of fire in about 5 minutes, and the greatest difficulty was that my wrap-around eye pro kept fogging up because of the face covering mask I was required to wear at this range. The best reason for having a live fire CCW requirement may be that shooting for score lets each person assess their firearms handling skills and marksmanship to a set standard, and incentivizes them to pursue additional firearms training by giving them a snapshot of where their marksmanship skills are now.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
From Florida Statute 790.06:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

When the Florida legislature enacted the CWFL law, they did not want to put any requirement for training that would be subject to bureaucratic whim, so the training requirement is very minimal. I don't quarrel with that, but don't assume a person with a CWFL in Florida has any competence with a handgun whatsoever.

In contrast, I run a 10-hour CWFL course 3-4 times a year which FAR exceeds anything required by the state. When people call to inquire, I tell them if you just want the card, use a DD214 or go to a 2-hour class at a gun show, but if you want to learn something, come spend the day with us. As a result I get a lot of novices with very little or no gun experience, and a few experienced shooters who really want to learn about the law. About half are women, and we get a number of realtors. We shoot a 45 round course from various ready positions at 3, 5, and 7 yards, and a few strings from the 1-yard line. When they leave they have been taught about gun safety, use of force law, firearms and ammunition function, how to choose a pistol, carry methods, shooting fundamentals, and they have shot a qualifying course of fire. Not a requirement, but these folks felt that if they are going to carry a gun, they ought to know how and when to use it.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
In Wyoming we have Constitutional Carry privilege's. No permits needed. When stopped by police not required to inform officer you are armed. Permits are available for travel to other states.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
In contrast, I run a 10-hour CWFL course 3-4 times a year which FAR exceeds anything required by the state. When people call to inquire, I tell them if you just want the card, use a DD214 or go to a 2-hour class at a gun show, but if you want to learn something, come spend the day with us. As a result I get a lot of novices with very little or no gun experience, and a few experienced shooters who really want to learn about the law. About half are women, and we get a number of realtors. We shoot a 45 round course from various ready positions at 3, 5, and 7 yards, and a few strings from the 1-yard line. When they leave they have been taught about gun safety, use of force law, firearms and ammunition function, how to choose a pistol, carry methods, shooting fundamentals, and they have shot a qualifying course of fire. Not a requirement, but these folks felt that if they are going to carry a gun, they ought to know how and when to use it.

HayesGreener, where in the panhandle are you located? My FIL lives in Pensacola, and I've been on his case for years to go get his permit. The training requirement has been his big hangup...he just hasn't made the time to go get it done. It sounds to me like your class might be a good Christmas present opportunity for him, if you're close. Any chance you could email me details?

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post