SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Wait time for CCW Permits
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wait time for CCW Permits Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelleytoons:
Here in Florida the average time is around 30 days. However, there are issues with fingerprints -- both my wife and others have had problems with getting "good" prints. If that IS the case you have to wait another 30 days.
Dis you apply in person at the state office, or by mail? If in person, they do the fingerprints at the time, and they should know whether they're "good" prints.

We did ours in person and received the CWPs in a week and a half.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, okay, we have that as well (we can just take whatever gun we want at either dealers or shows without a waiting period).

The way it was phrased I thought it wouldn't be available (because we have a seven year permit) but I guess it's okay in Florida even with the longer period.
You're confusing two separate issues. The exemption refers to whether or not the FFL has to phone for approval. Yes, that needs to be done in Florida.

The waiting period is a separate thing; there is no wait if you have a Florida CWP, but the FFL still has to get telephone approval. That is typically a five minute process, while you wait.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa does not require fingerprints. That did not register as unusual until I read about requirements in other states. The Co Sheriff already has mine - no, it's not what you think! - as I'm a reserve LEO. My wife got her permit a few years ago and never mentioned fingerprinting. It's not listed anywhere in the info I posted on page 1.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Here in Florida the average time is around 30 days. However, there are issues with fingerprints -- both my wife and others have had problems with getting "good" prints. If that IS the case you have to wait another 30 days.
Dis you apply in person at the state office, or by mail? If in person, they do the fingerprints at the time, and they should know whether they're "good" prints.

We did ours in person and received the CWPs in a week and a half.

We applied in person at the main state office (well, the one in Orlando) and went BACK there to have them take her fingerprints the second time. Both times they did know they were bad but ended up submitting because there was nothing else they could do. Now we are waiting 2-4 weeks for the FBI check.

Some people have "bad" fingers and they can't get good prints from them (my wife in particular has illnesses that cause this, as well as the fact that as a librarian she works all day with paper that also hurts prints).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Oh, okay, we have that as well (we can just take whatever gun we want at either dealers or shows without a waiting period).

The way it was phrased I thought it wouldn't be available (because we have a seven year permit) but I guess it's okay in Florida even with the longer period.
You're confusing two separate issues. The exemption refers to whether or not the FFL has to phone for approval. Yes, that needs to be done in Florida.

The waiting period is a separate thing; there is no wait if you have a Florida CWP, but the FFL still has to get telephone approval. That is typically a five minute process, while you wait.

Ah, I see. Don't really care, then -- my own FFL does that after I leave (so I just fill out the form).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Posts: 383 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
When I did my LA permit back in late 2011, it took about 30 days.

The FL one I just did took about 2 months. They didn't expedite the military part for me.

Posts: 13037 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really? Are you an FL resident?

I thought for sure they were expediting local ex-military. Heck, even my non-military only took 30 days. Sorry to hear that for you (but at least you got it).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
In stark contrast to NY I took a ride to Erie Pa a few weeks ago because my Pa permit had expired. I went down on a Tuesday, did the required paperwork, stopped at Chic Filet, and had my permit in the mail on Saturday. I made the trip again today with my wife to get hers and expect hers by the weekend. The girls at Chic Filet asked if I was really hungry when I ordered 15 sandwiches this time, the folks at work had me bring lunch.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
In MN, it varies from county to county.
In my county it takes two days (renewal or initial permit) and it is in your mailbox.
State law says that it cannot take more than 30 days.
No fingerprints, no photo but a drivers license (or State ID) and proof that you have taken the required class is needed.
Oh... and it doesn't have to be concealed (legally). It is a "Permit to carry a pistol".

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, back with I got my CHL, it was about 4 weeks from everything in the mail to CHL in my mailbox. That was about 4 years ago.
Just submitted my LTC renewal online yesterday, we'll see how long it takes to come in. My CHL expires in early January.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I was quoted less than two months ago by the El Paso County CO Sherriff's office to expect to wait 90 days.

My permit showed up in roughly forty, so I'm a happy camper.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Six days, and no calls to references, in New Hampshire.

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 23, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
VA CHP was 4-5 weeks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20739 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It depends on which county in VA. York County is much more gun-friendly than northern VA so mine took 14 days. My renewal took two.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? Are you an FL resident?

I thought for sure they were expediting local ex-military. Heck, even my non-military only took 30 days. Sorry to hear that for you (but at least you got it).

Not a FL yet, not for another few weeks.

It got here in the mail today.

posted Hide Post
Well congrats on both getting it as well as becoming a new Floridian!

I guess out of state applications aren't processed as rapidly.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering if there is a way to update my address after I touch down. Even though the card itself doesn't have an address, I assume it's tied into my current address in the system.

posted Hide Post
Well here in the leftist land of California, it is quite a different process. Each county has their own guidelines for issuance. Fortunately I live in a county that will issue with proper good cause. Some counties won't issue at all. Luckily, if a permit is issued, you can carry in any county in the state.

I started the application process back in November of last year (2015). I had my interview in July. At time of interview, fingerprints were taken. I am still waiting for those results to come back from the state. They are saying that the background checks are taking 3-5 months from the state. I have already completed my training. I have been given conditional approval, meaning that everything on my application is good, they are just waiting for the background checks to come back from the state. (I don't have anything to worry about in my background). Hopefully I will have my permit by the end of November, so I am getting close.

California permits are valid for 2 years. They are telling people to start the renewal 6 months prior to expiration.

Posts: 2 | Location: Southern California | Registered: August 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
in NH the chief of police issue permits in my town it takes a few days $10.00 for 4yrs

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received my Texas permit. Total cost was $240 and took a little under two weeks from the time I submitted my paperwork on line to receipt. I was shocked it was so quick.

I have permits in 4 states now: NY, PA, FL, & TX. NY took the longest 214 days to issue a regular concealed carry permit with restrictions (hunting, target, etc), then I had to take additional training and submit additional paperwork/justification for an unrestricted concealed carry. I lost track of my total cost, but I know it was over $500.

PA was $10, plus a drive to the county courthouse on a Friday afternoon. I would have had my permit on the spot, but the Sheriff was out on a call. I received a call on Tuesday to pick up my permit. This may not be typical, as I am well known, plus I had just been issued an unrestricted NY, which means that I had been under intense scrutiny already.

I do not recall, but I believe my Florida permit took under three weeks. I applied in person on July 1st and had it via USPS by July 21.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post