SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What's the least amount of ammo you've tested a new gun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the least amount of ammo you've tested a new gun? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Usually after 200 fmj rounds and a 50 rd box of holler points I’d consider it reliable

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
One box of Speer gold dots. (50)
When I went to a G19 from a Khar 9.
I had shot Glocks for years but never carried one for EDC. Once I saw the HP ammo would feed with no problem, I went with it.

It didn’t hurt that the range master had given me the box of ammo either.

But I did carry a 5 shot revolver on an ankle holster for a BUG, when I was a cop and I only ran two cylinders thru it before I qualified with it…so technically it was 50 rnds for the qual but only 10 rounds for the test.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
It use to be 500 ball and 100 carry but the times lately have made me re-evaluate that.

The last 2 new carry guns I bought were a Wilson Combat Beretta 92 and a Shadow Systems MR920. Both got 200rds of ball ammo and 50 of carry ammo and at that point I'm ok with carrying them.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I currently look to run 3 mags through with a combination of ball and hollow point/hunting ammo. My assumption is with modern manufacturing processes and buying a firearm from a reputable manufacturer that a limited number of rounds to prove that it does what it should with a few different mags and ammo brands is all that is required.

Has any manufacturer or any .gov organization ever conducted a study to see if there is a number of rounds that is associated with flushing out a “bad” gun?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m new here but I just went and put 3 boxes of various ammo and a mag of HST in my latest purchase and I feel confident in its ability to perform.
Pistol is a 229 legion, I gave my edc g19 to my brother and have moved on.

Posts: 13 | Location: Fort Myers, Fl | Registered: May 11, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least 200 rounds if it’s for CCW.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Evidently, about 100 rounds for my new duty gun Red Face

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
There is no “new normal”. I won’t shoot less even if it costs more. I buy cheap and stack deep. I shoot a lot and it’s what I do.

Same here! I’m shooting more than before, time has always been the biggest obstacle to my shooting.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post