SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    PA Drops VA. . . Adds ID and AL. Will Now Only Honor Resident Permits!!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA Drops VA. . . Adds ID and AL. Will Now Only Honor Resident Permits!!!!!! Login/Join 
Picture of Gary Slider
posted
The Pennsylvania Attorney General has made some major changes to Pennsylvania Reciprocity and most of it for the worse. The only good part is they will now honor the Idaho Enhanced and the Alabama Permits. The bad parts are they are going to stop honoring Virginia May 17, 2018. The only reason the date is one month away is the signed agreement they have with Virginia states they must give them a month if they wish to stop the agreement.

They have also signed new agreements with the all the states they already had signed agreements with and they all state now that they will only honor that states RESIDENT Permits!

PA had already resigned with VA, FL, UT, and a couple other states a few years ago and that wording only allowed for Resident permits from those states. Now they are totally only honoring Resident permits from the states they honor. This has the most effect on residents of Maryland, New Jersey and New York who live near the border with PA. Previously they could still get a New Hampshire or Texas Non-Resident Permit and carry in Pa with that permit. No Longer! Most can’t apply for a PA Non-Resident permit as PA statutes state to apply for a PA Non-Resident you have to have a permit from your home state. Those 3 states don’t issue to us common folk!!!!! You can read their new Reciprocity wording as put out by their AG and see all the new Agreements at the link Below. https://www.attorneygeneral.go...iprocity-Summary.pdf

I have been working all evening making all the changes to www.handgunlaw.us updating all the pages that this PA changed caused.

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Posts: 489 | Location: New Martinsville, WV | Registered: February 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

My home state of Pennsylvania may be slowly sliding off into the abyss, which is why I didn't just .move from NY to PA and instead moved to Texas.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at picking up a Texas license so I could be OK in Pennsylvania - not, not worth the extra work.

Took a look at PA non-resident - too many counties either don't issue, or are announcing plans to stop issuing - Lancaster County is one that has announced the latter effective 6/30/2018.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is really annoying

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of orangehole
posted Hide Post
This reciprocity nonsense has got to stop. If other states follow down this slippery slope, we will be forced to only carry in our resident state.

"God created man, Sam Colt made them equal"

Posts: 382 | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what counties in eastern PA are issuing to non residents these days? Thanks.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Wayne County.
County seat is in Honesdale.
Wayne County Sheriff Dept. administers carry licenses.
Phone number is (570) 253-2641
The last I was aware, you must apply for and pickup carry license in person. Nice people to deal with, painless process other than having to drive there twice which is a PA Attorney General decision, not a local decision.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's about two hours from where I live. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on whether you plan to drive or use mass transit, Delaware County appears to also issue non-resident. It appears that the transit system from Philadelphia goes out to Media (the county seat for Delaware County).

http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/s...irearmslicenses.html

It is the county immediately to the west of the county where Philadelphia resides.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Wayne County.
County seat is in Honesdale.
Wayne County Sheriff Dept. administers carry licenses.
Phone number is (570) 253-2641
The last I was aware, you must apply for and pickup carry license in person. Nice people to deal with, painless process other than having to drive there twice which is a PA Attorney General decision, not a local decision.

I just called the Sheriff's office and they don't issue to out of state any more. Anyone else got any ideas?

Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
SgtGold,

Check out the Wyoming County Sherriff's Office page:

http://www.wycopa.org/Offices/...ramsandServices.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Apperantly the non resident license is handeled on a county by county basis, and not even the most up to date web sites have correct info. Anyone wanting a PA non resident license should contact the county in question directly to make sure they are issuing. The search continues.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
SgtGold,

Check out the Wyoming County Sherriff's Office page:

http://www.wycopa.org/Offices/...ramsandServices.aspx

Thanks for the link. I had started calling counties based on location, but hadn't gotten to Wyoming yet. It looks like they are still non resident frendly.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The second question is will they issue to those of us with permits with "administrative restrictions". Roll Eyes Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
After being back in Philly for a number of years, what I believe raised any issue with reciprocity was the following;
The Philadelphia Police Dept Firearm Permit Unit was denying the issuance of LTCFs to citizens for reasons not provided by PA Code such as parking tickets and child support owed. These citizens obtained FL CWPs which were recognized for carry by anyone at all, PA resident or not. After the Price Law firm handed Philly PD their ass on a platter in court to stop their illegal practices in the Permit Unit (there were more violations), the Philly PD Commissioner at that time, Ramsey met with the Attorney General, Kathleen Kane, in order to shut down the "loophole" of out of State permits. Kane's complete overreaction caused the non recognition of permits by thousands of law abiding citizens due to the Office's power to do so.

For those unaware, Kane was convicted of perjury and previously had her law license suspended. The current AG, Josh Shapiro, is a Bloomburg croney, so he is a Democrat and anti-gun. Don't expect any changes soon with Wolf in office.

Though PA is a Red State, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are heavily Democrat.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post