SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    So I've Been Thinking About Gun Belt Design...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I've Been Thinking About Gun Belt Design... Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Well, I hope you weather the wuflu ok...

Thanks! So far, so good. It's been a bit touch-and-go with my wife, but she seems better today.

My wife surviving this thing would be the best possible Christmas gift ever.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Belt came the other day, but I haven't gotten to see it yet. Should get to unbox it tomorrow.

Opened mine this morning. Initial impression: It's lighter than I had expected. Looks like it'll be real easy to get just the belt tension I want--no more and no less.

Appears to be pretty rigid vertically, but felt comfortable around my waist.

I will probably have to get dressed at some point just so I can try it out

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there. Sorry about your wife...will be praying for both of you, and am glad to hear she had an ok day today. Hopefully she continues to feel better!

I also got to unbox my belt today. Like you, I was surprised how light it is, but it does seem to provide plenty of support. I ended up going with a 36...probably should have gone for a 38, but I'm still getting about 2" of velcro engagement with my mag pouch and IWB holster...about 3" without.

I wore it most of the afternoon and it was pretty comfortable. I like the thin profile and adjustability. I'm going to give it a try as a pants belt under a duty belt tonight and see how it goes.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I've been wearing this thing for a little over a week now. I wore it here at home with a P245 and a spare mag in jeans and a hoodie, in Alabama with a J-Frame in shorts and a T-shirt, and as a pants belt under a duty belt at work. I also spent about 28 hours sitting in a car over 2 separate days wearing it with a J-Frame.

Overall, I'm pleased. The low profile and infinite adjustibility are really nice under a duty belt, and it keeps my pants up better than the old buckleless velcro pants belt that I was wearing before.

For CCW, I think it achieves the goal of supporting the weight of a gun while at the same time being more flexible than a leather belt.

It doesn't have quite the support of my 1.5" leather Beltman with internal stiffener, and I don't think it's necessarily more comfortable than the leather belt, either. But the fact that you aren't limited to belt holes for tightening, and that nylon will be more moisture tolerant for outdoor pursuits are definitely positives.

The velcro is a little annoying. It can be hard to engage and disengage inside of a belt loop, and sometimes when wearing an untucked t-shirt it can rub against skin in certain positions, and that's rough and uncomfortable. I understand why they put it on there to keep the belt from loosening through the buckle, but IMO I'd rather have a slightly more complex buckle design and forego the velcro altogether...just run the tail through my belt loops like a normal belt. Also, as somebody who wears a lot of velcro stuff at work, experience has shown me that it doesn't usually hold up real well over the long term, especially if you're engaging and disengaging it frequently.

Overall, I'd give it a B+. I think I'll keep using it as a pants belt under my duty belt, and also off-duty for hiking and camping and the like. My Beltman will probably remain my primary off-duty around-town belt, though.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post