SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carrying daily again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying daily again Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’ve recently started caring again on a daily basis. I used to carry IWB strong side but now it’s so very uncomfortable. I have a problem with the sacroiliac area and it’s just irritating. Sitting is worse than standing.

I normally carry my P229 but the Glock 33 is lighter and that’s what I’ve been carrying.

OWB prints way too much. I don’t generally wear a jacket so I’m not sure a shoulder holster is the answer.

Any suggestions for some better comfort?

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Canted appendix IWB, or a small pocket gun would be my suggestions.

I've recently been carrying a small P290 in a pocket holster in my pants pocket. Sometimes as a back up to my primary P220. But sometimes just the P290.

Why did you stop carrying?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17523 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I normally carry a Glock 19 appendix, but I also have an LCP that I carry in my pocket for times that I cannot carry on my belt.

Small pocket gun is 100% better than no gun.

Posts: 7432 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

I've recently been carrying a small P290 in a pocket holster in my pants pocket. Sometimes as a back up to my primary P220. But sometimes just the P290.
Can you sit with appendix or pocket carry?

quote:
Why did you stop carrying?
The only thing I can figure is apathy and maybe ignoring reality.

Posts: 45466 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I normally carry a Glock 19 appendix, but I also have an LCP that I carry in my pocket for times that I cannot carry on my belt.

Small pocket gun is 100% better than no gun.
The Glock 33 is a bit wider than the newer Glock 43. Maybe I should try something thinner. However, i think my body type is incompatible with any IWB.

posted Hide Post
I am speaking from experience; I had to stop carrying for a long time because of the pain as well. I bought the "thunderwear" style of holster and carry a Sig p226MK25 without pain.

Posts: 718 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunnitt:
I am speaking from experience; I had to stop carrying for a long time because of the pain as well. I bought the "thunderwear" style of holster and carry a Sig p226MK25 without pain.
I’d swear I had one of those. I’m going to have to look through my stuff.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I carry either a G19 or an M&P 3.6" aiwb in a Vedder Light tuck.
After you get used to it the whole rig just starts to feel like a slightly offset oversized belt buckle. I can lift, bend, sit, and everything without any trouble whatsoever. I feel it's the most comfortable, concealable, and fastest drawing method of carrying.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Re: OWB printing too much - have you tried a pancake-style holster along the lines of a Kramer Belt Scabbard?

Asking because I carried a Glock 26 (a gun sized the same as your G33) in that holster at times and found it concealed exceptionally well, almost well enough to make me stop carrying larger handguns haha…

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6720 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Can you sit with appendix or pocket carry?

In my mind, the secret to comfortable appendix carry is a fairly radical cant. So much cant that when you sit, the top of the slide rides along the top/right of your thigh and points right/down. When standing the grip is almost vertical and the butt tucks just under the rib cage. Please note that for safety I can not recommend appendix carry for any gun unless it has an external hammer that you can use your thumb to ride while holstering. If the gun has a hammer and a beaver tail to cradle your thumb and completely block hammer movement, even better. For years, I have had no problems carrying this way with either a P220 or a P226.

I've never noticed any discomfort with sitting while (in holster) pocket carrying. With pocket carry, my draw is not as fast and since I pocket carry on the left, my aim is not as good with my left hand, but as a BUG, I wanted accessibility to weak hand draw.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17523 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The whole world is carrying glocks and P365's aiwb now. It'll be fine.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
The whole world is carrying glocks and P365's aiwb now. It'll be fine.

Perhaps Glock leg is a low probability event. But don't most of us carry guns as a precaution against low probability events?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to carry anything IWB or appendix. OWB at 3 - 4 o’clock is my go to. Lots of good pancake rigs with a good gun belt make it comfortable and concealable for me.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7039 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I have never been able to carry anything IWB or appendix. OWB at 3 - 4 o’clock is my go to. Lots of good pancake rigs with a good gun belt make it comfortable and concealable for me.
Yeah, I don’t think IWB of any sort is going to ever work for me. However, I can’t figure how OWB can possibly be concealed.

Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I work in IT, which results in a LOT of sitting - i made the move to pocket carry and really enjoy not having to worry about pain/discomfort from a belt setup - lots of reaching above my head and never have to worry about the shirt lifting up either. Glock 33 pretty big for a pocket, i went from a kahr to a 365 and can't imagine i'll change anytime soon.

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
During the cold months when a jacket is worn a shoulder holster is comfortable and the gun is totally concealed.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1591 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have developed something on my hip which hurts when carrying at the 3 o’clock area. I have pretty much switched to AIWB. Try a Raven Vanguard 2 with a clip with your 33 at the AIWB position. That’s how I carry my 43X.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:
I work in IT, which results in a LOT of sitting - i made the move to pocket carry and really enjoy not having to worry about pain/discomfort from a belt setup - lots of reaching above my head and never have to worry about the shirt lifting up either. Glock 33 pretty big for a pocket, i went from a kahr to a 365 and can't imagine i'll change anytime soon.
Front or back pocket?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
During the cold months when a jacket is worn a shoulder holster is comfortable and the gun is totally concealed.
I may be being self-conscious but the gun prints like crazy with a shoulder holster.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I have developed something on my hip which hurts when carrying at the 3 o’clock area. I have pretty much switched to AIWB. Try a Raven Vanguard 2 with a clip with your 33 at the AIWB position. That’s how I carry my 43X.
I like that one. How is reholstering?