SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Did anyone else's gunbelts shrink during 2021?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did anyone else's gunbelts shrink during 2021? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I think my P239 and IWB holster swelled up some, too. Frown

It must be the climate change. The Wuflu. Inflation. Shortages.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I think my P239 and IWB holster swelled up some, too. Frown

It must be the climate change. The Wuflu. Inflation. Shortages.
I opted for a thinner pistol instead of a bigger belt! Big Grin

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Might be the reason I see so many "should I go OWB" posts in forums.

In the day, when polyester doubleknits were popular, a lot of us noticed as time went by there seemed to be some shrinkage. And the more you wore them, and washed them, the more they shrank.

This led to a theory on my part that like cotton and wool, polyester shrinks. Which churns the clothing market to buy new items. And you discover that yesteryears fashion is now out - or, as some said, "WTH happened to the leisure suits? I can't find any!"

It seems tall running sox that nearly went over your knees with color stripes disappeared, too, along with the shortest running shorts ever seen in morning formations. Running in the Army was literally an exercise of the blind leading the blind. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Now it's camp shirts, shorts down to the calf, and flip flops. Year round here, I can guarantee someone will slide into an auto parts store over packed ice, run in skating on the wet floor, and get a set of wiper blades to ask the clerk to install. They wore a hoodie to stay warm. Camp shirt, calf length shorts, flops. When it gets really bad and the SO won't shovel the walk to the car port, then the $250 Keen mountain boots break out. They get about two miles of wear a year.

Some of them are now complaining that they have discovered polyester shrinks. "My XXL fav T shirt is too small!" Well Bruh I don't think TAD is gonna offer a XXXL. Then again the last cop that came in, nvrmnd. I thought it was some kind of force bias thing, cops getting shorter but wider. Now I think it's just picking folks who fit the standard issue sizes.

Polyester shrinks. But wait: This year there are synthetic leather STRETCH BELTS! Problem solved!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gen...Tall-Sizes/437115258

Up to size 52!

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it has been more of a retirement thing, and dealing with a sometimes-bad knee, and adapting to a fundamental change in footwear, than anything panic-demic, but I did buy longer belts in 2020/2021. The newer type of shoes are putting less stress on my knees and back, but require gradually re-building strength in my feet. (Orthotics, and shoes that “support” the arches, can divert stress to the knees and back. Fortunately, I have already started wearing belts a little bit tighter, by now.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Between one thing and another both my gym routine and my diet went clear off the rails in 2021, so, yeah: I'm now at the point where I've just enough room in my 36 in. waist jeans for IWB carry.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I actually lost an inch or two since 2020. I gave up alcohol completely and now I'm working on limiting sugary drinks and caffeine.

I got myself one of those fancy ratcheting belts, so I just have to take it in a few more clicks.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Yep, mine did. That’s why I bought a Peloton bike, I’ve heard they can make the belt expand.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've lost 44 lbs. Waiting for my shoe/boot guy to get his new punch in so that he can shorten my belts.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
I lost two inches and 25lbs and had to add holes to my belt. But that was accomplished via the "open heart surgery diet"

Not a method i would recommend for anyone

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Throughout 2021 I worked hard and have gotten into the best shape of my life actually.
Eating healthy, running daily, and picking up heavy shit and putting it down.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I lost more weight in 2021 than any other year...went from a 42 to a 36 waist size. But it was because my body stoped making insulin, and basically wasn't absorbing any nutrients for 3-6 months. I wouldn't recommend it. Got the insulin thing fixed thanks to daily injections, now I'm working out constantly and eating like a rabbit to try to keep my blood sugar in check and prevent myself from needing multiple daily injections, so hopefully as a result I can keep the inches and pounds from creeping back up.

I did get a new Beltman belt this year because my old Rafter S was worn out and getting to be long enough to go around me once then halfway again. I really like the Beltman...it's double-stitched and has the internal stiffener, and supports even my P245 or Model 69 very nicely, but it's still very comfortable to wear all day.

I also tried one of those newfangled nylon belts from EDC Belt Co. It has one of those infinitely adjustable buckles where you just string the belt through, then velcro the excess back to the belt. It has its benefits, but I'm not a huge lover of velcro. It does provide a good balance of flexibility and support. It's probably going to see more use under a duty belt than as a casual wear item, though.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing I got the wuhan after Christmas because I was sick for over a week and lost 20 lbs. I never got tested. Never lost taste or smell. I had to drill a hole in my belt.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Throughout 2021 I worked hard and have gotten into the best shape of my life actually.

Not quite the same physical activity, but I got to a point where size 32’s were falling off me. With the holidays and saying “fuck it” with the sweets, 34’s are, ummm, snug again. Back on the diet and activity thing, though, and it’s starting to go back the other way. If I can help it, I’m never going to be fat again.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah… Between January 2019 and November 2019, I’d lost 101 lbs (WW works!). Then in January of 2020 we bought a new house AND my office moved at work — two very stressful moves to contend with in March 2020. And, of course, COVID came along and even though I was “essential” our agency policy got us all teleworking for months. Wife and I got COVID in Jan ‘21 and I haven’t exercised since.

I went from size 50 in Jan ‘19 down to size 38 in Nov ‘19. Now I’m back up to size 44 and they’re snug. I hate it. How did I let this happen? WW stopped in-person meetings (Feb ‘20), teleworking at home made junk food too easy, and I stopped exercising regularly. I had been biking 3X/week.

Ugh! I WILL get back down again, but it’s going to be harder this time around. But I digress…

Anyway, yes, my gunbelts have shrunk. I had bought several 5.11 nylon belts that I really liked, but those won’t work now. A couple months ago I bought two Nexbelts, and they rock. I do still have my two Bigfoot leather size 50 belts — but I will NOT allow myself to “grow” back into them; I felt so much better when I was down to 218; my goal weight is 195. Right now I’m at 277. Frown Lots of hard work ahead of me…

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From January 2020 until August of 2021 I basically turned into Jabba the Hut. Back on the trail now, losing the weight and regaining the fitness. Feeling better every day.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Not quite the same physical activity, but I got to a point where size 32’s were falling off me. With the holidays and saying “fuck it” with the sweets, 34’s are, ummm, snug again. Back on the diet and activity thing, though, and it’s starting to go back the other way. If I can help it, I’m never going to be fat again.

Yeah, the last half of December was hard and I over indulged as well. lol
I'm back on it now though and signed up for a couple of Spartan style races this summer to give me some motivation.

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll just admit it. I got fat during the pandemic because I ate garbage and had a very sedentary lifestyle compared to before. I think I’ve gained about 50–60, need to drop it back down now that things are opened back up and I’m not stuck at work all the time doing COOP and briefings.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I need to push myself away from the table and skip desserts! There’s too of me in these pants. Sorry for the visual.

Posts: 1541 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post