SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Concealed carry insurance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concealed carry insurance? Login/Join 
Picture of barry1967
posted
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Is USCCA legit? Or are there others to look into?

Being new to concealed carry, Things like this may be a good idea??

Any insight??

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think ccw insurance is prudent. Yes you are likely to never need it but if you do, you will wish you had something. Look at what they each offer. I went with CCWsafe

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
If you have an umbrella policy through, say, State Farm, isn't that good enough???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
If you have an umbrella policy through, say, State Farm, isn't that good enough???

You'd have to check the policy. I think most, if not all, of those insurance policies won't cover intentional acts, i.e., defending yourself.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not "insurance," but I use ACLDN. I like it because, in addition to covering legal fees, they'll also provide expert witnesses if necessary and cover you even if you don't use a firearm to defend yourself (empty hands, knife, stick, etc.). They also provide lots of useful information.

Also, try a search. This topic has been discussed many times.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Umbrella type policies can be severely limited in scope and I wouldn’t trust an insurance company to save my ass if I had to defend myself.. not one that didn’t specialize in such policies. I’ve got a Elite membership with USCCA and have no regrets. Ymmv.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There have been a number of discussions on this here and I say the same thing each time.
Read the information carefully. They are NOT insurance.
None of them.
If any claim to be, look them up with your state insurance commissioner's office.
I'll save you some time. You won't find them there.

Update 7/16.
I did a bit of research on these. Texas Law Shield and US Law Shield seem to be legally separate but related companies. They are registered in Texas and Florida as insurance due to state requirements but that does not appear to mean much except they have to post a $50,000 bond to do so. In other states, they don't and haven't.

Read the fine print on any of these "arrangements" and do some research before buying or better yet, listening to the pitch. Most appear to be another flavor of snake oil to me. YMMV.

I'd probably rather sit through a timeshare pitch. At least the location and food are likely to be better.

Some legal stuff here;
https://www.leagle.com/decision/intxco20161220863
This appears to me to be more about the class action validity but has a lot about the sales pitch and compensation to CCW instructors too.
I'd be curious to hear some of our Sigforum Texas gun owning legal eagles viewpoint, if they are willing to comment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
US Law Shield is what I use. Covers criminal and civil issues

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
US Law Shield as well.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Dale:
US Law Shield is what I use. Covers criminal and civil issues

Regardless what they said in the sales pitch, you may want to read the fine print (the actual contract).

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network. YMMV.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol and CCW Instructor, Firearms Expert Witness - Fraternal Order of Police
*************************************************************************************************************
"Civilian marksmanship was appalling, for a population obsessed with guns." - Lee Child, "A Wanted Man"

Posts: 93 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Before you worry about the (non) insurance products out there that try to imply they are insurance, read this guy's book.

https://www.lawofselfdefense.com/

Andrew Branca is a lawyer that specializes in armed self-defense law and wrote this book. He is associated with one of the groups but has a lot of excellent advice and weekly newsletters you can read. He also discusses the subject of these "protection plans" and gives the lawyers version of what they are, and are not.

This subject has been discussed to death here and other gun forums and the story is always the same.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/1020012024

posted Hide Post
I initially had USCCA but later went with Firearms Legal Protection, better coverage for less money. Concealed carry is like any insurance it is a waste of money until you need it. I feel better knowing someone will have my back in the event I do get involved in a shooting.

https://firearmslegal.com/

Posts: 14 | Registered: January 12, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
As I have said in other threads, I'll steer clear from buying snake oil. Insurance companies live to sell you coverage, and bilk you out of paying out when you need to use it.

Anyone who has ever had a car wreck knows this. Or tried to use medical insurance only to find out that this or that isn't covered.

But, the pundits assure us that CCDW gray man EDC delta guy insurance is different.

I've got a good attorney, and I'll pass on buying insurance, or being REQUIRED to buy this type of insurance as some in these types of threads insist on it being "just like having car insurance" (but yet they aren't smart enough to do the math on car insurance to compare what they pay, versus what little the insurance company gives you back at the time the policy is used). But, most states force you to buy it, just like the gun grabbers want to force gun owners to have and maintain this type of insurance.

I suspect that fear, ignorance of how insurance work, and the fact that most people have no money saved to mount a defense IF they needed one drives the success of the snake oil salesmen.

The simple fact that people IGNORE logic, reason and experience with insurance companies and forge ahead to buy MORE insurance, despite the fact that insurance companies are there to make money, not to take care of you.

I know, this time it will be different...........

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer myself but I'd be more comfortable finding a local attorney I trusted who represents clients in that type of area vs a blanket coverage company states and therefore many court districts away.

I'd also make myself very familiar with my state and local laws concerning self defense and justifiable homicide and maybe look into one of those post shooting courses. I'd rather be able to articulate to first responders how and why I wound up in that situation in the first place and give them an explanation backed up by facts and local laws. Might keep you from being charged in the first place.

Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've had a platinum membership with USCCA for four years. Thank God I've never had to use their insurance, but I like their magazine, training videos and other benefits.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
I have the CCW Safe Protector Plan for $149 p/year, heard and read good things about them. I sleep better at night knowing I have some help if I'm ever involved in a self defense incident.

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CA has told the NRA that they cannot sell here.

There is now a bill in the legislature that would prohibit an insurer from selling or advertising "liability coverage for bodily injury or property damage resulting from the insured’s discharge of a personal firearm."

http://leginfo.legislature.ca....l_id=201920200AB1602

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
I've had a platinum membership with USCCA for four years. Thank God I've never had to use their insurance, but I like their magazine, training videos and other benefits.
I have the same coverage. Honestly, the longer I have it the more I feel I've been sold some snake oil. If I ever need it, I'm not convinced it will do anything other than provide me with a consultation advising me that I need a real attorney, which my coverage will not cover.

If I need it it is likely for carrying in another state. Something I'll probably not get much help with.

Honestly...it would probably be more cost effective to do what the hollyweird tacticool dudes do...and buy a badge from a small arizona community....and carry under leosa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScubaSig:
I have the CCW Safe Protector Plan for $149 p/year, heard and read good things about them. I sleep better at night knowing I have some help if I'm ever involved in a self defense incident.

Same here. There based out of OKC too, so I could have boots on the ground to me quick. It's the best 150 I've ever spent.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post