SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Is IWB carry no longer needed?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is IWB carry no longer needed? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
In VA, if you intend to CCW, and don’t succeed, it causes occasional citizen panic. If you carry openly, no one seems to call the police.

I conceal, but find IWB impossible to enjoy. Buying pants 2 inches too large makes the crotch fit and rise dimensions larger than required. OWB makes it so easy.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I carry OWB with just an untucked T-shirt. Comes down to finding the right holster on a good stiff gunbelt. Best of both worlds.

I OWB a Glock 26 or HK VP9SK but hide it under a shirt. A sharp-eyed person might see the vague outline. The squeamish are not offended as they don’t notice the slight protrusion.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xray 99:

I OWB a Glock 26 or HK VP9SK but hide it under a shirt. A sharp-eyed person might see the vague outline. The squeamish are not offended as they don’t notice the slight protrusion.

Once TX changed their rules on open carry I don't worry about printing anymore. Wink

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The will nourished tend to complain a lot concerning carry methods. For myself I am not a proponent of open carry. That's me but others see it differently, thus each to their own applies.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
Has IWB become like cutting off the ham by Granma? Tradition handed down without the reason? Granma had a small pan, cutting the ham was the only way to fit. Get Granma a bigger pan and it's fixed. We changed the laws a lot about carry, are we still suffering with IWB out of tradition instead of need?

IWB is as popular as it's ever been due to the fact that it work, and it works very well.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry concealed as opposed to open carry. My view point is I do not want to draw attention to myself by open carry of a weapon.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Florida open carry is generally illegal, which makes no never mind to me.I carry concealed, and probably always will.

I am headed to Texas for a few weeks, but, though I "think" I could carry openly there, I just don't want to do that. I hope not to need to use my firearm, but if I do, I want it to be as much of a surprise to the bad guy(s) as possible.

Bob

Posts: 1559 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I very seldom see anyone open carrying in Texas, other than a lawman.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In reaction to permit-less carry, more places in Texas are posting signs. Concealment has become more important than ever, as Texas shifts, politically, in some regions. To be clear, I am not advocating the breaking of any laws. A careful reading of the relevant laws will show that there are times/placing where one is technically legal to carry, but firearms would be extremely unwelcome, if noticed, and, of course, if the firearm IS noticed, and one is given notice to depart the premises, one MUST leave.

I am not a big fan of IWB, due to the long-term comfort factor, and/or my weapon becoming soaked with perspiration and/or condensation, but there are times/places where IWB becomes necessary.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally go owb with a cover garment. I still use my iwb holsters at times. As Warhorse said, open carry is legal in Michigan but not common. I probably see it more often than him but I live in a rural area. When I do see it it seems no one notices or they don’t care. I also don’t want to draw attention to myself. Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
As said - In Michigan Open Carry is legal and has been for a long time. You rarely ever see anyone do it. And I mean rarely.

Myself I have always preferred OWB. Just more comfortable for me. I do my best to conceal and usually can do a really good job. I am sure I do print from time to time. I doubt anyone even notices these days though.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still IWB and besides pocket carry don't see myself changing without some sort of shift. I can carry just about anywhere and I prefer people don't know I'm armed. YMMV of course.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Open carry is legal here in Michigan, but I never do. However, I never worry about printing, or my shirt rising up when I stretch.

X2. Why draw attention?

Harken back to the days of the Kodak Instamatic Camera with the holiday advertisement “Open me first” aka shoot me first.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
I used to be hard core one way or another (and very anti-AIWB), but I’ve softened on the idea of one way or another.

Jones, if you've got a minute, I'd be interested to hear the full story of your process on this. I know AIWB is hugely popular these days, and that it can be done safely. I also know there are numerous advantages...I just have a hard time getting over some of my reservations about reholstering and where the muzzle is pointed as one carries in that manner. As someone who's opinion I respect, I'd be interested to hear how you worked through your concerns and arrived at acceptance.

I figured out that there’s no race back to the holster. We always would tell people that with any holster. But, I took it to heart. Once I got past that, the advantages were too many to ignore. My draw times concealed were as fast as an open top. Doing DT, I had better control concealed when the fight was on. And I had zero back pain 12-14 hours a day.

I could not agree more.

I don't find either method any faster or slower.

I DO find concealment to have vast differences.

Who cares about reholstering.... You will have 10 minutes to get the gun back in the holster until the police arrive. You only need about 10 to 15 seconds.

If you have to draw (and god forbid, use, your weapon) then you need to draw with speed.

We train our officers (as a range instructor for the past 8 years) to keep the gun out and "look for more work."

Hurry to get it out, take ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to put it away.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I very seldom see anyone open carrying in Texas, other than a lawman.

Same here.
I'm in the IWB 4:00 camp, and have been since I started carrying.
I've open carried a few times in S TX when we're down there for deer season.
Had to run in town & no one thought twice about it when we were in the auto parts store.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Type of carry is a very individual thing. I hate appendix, I just don’t have the body type for it.
( almost everyone I know who says appendix is great tends to be tall ,thin with a longer torso)and wears pants/ belt higher on the torso than I can.
But with the proper combo of belt gun and holster an owb holster works just fine concealed.

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Carrying concealed seems smartest to me. If actually needed when confronted with a deadly force situation the surprise to the assailant is a big plus. That said there is something great to see in a small rural grocery store in rural Colorado when a woman pushing a grocery cart with a 2 year old in the kid seat has a Glock 17 OWB on her hip.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post