SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Favorite paddle holster for easy on/off?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite paddle holster for easy on/off? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
1) Thank you, SCOTUS.
2) Screw you, MD Democrats.

3) Now that I need an EDC rig, and I'm sure our General Assembly will waste no time next session playing games with "reasonable restrictions" on when/where I can carry, I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a paddle holster I can don/doff easily.

I'd prefer leather over kydex, but I'm not too picky about that as long as it's quality. I'd really like something with a sweat guard to reduce wear on my shirts.

I'm used to OWB carry, either with my P228 or Glock 26, depending. Either one in a Galco concealable, which is my favorite OWB rig to date (although I really wish they'd offer one with the aforementioned sweat guard). And I'm a big guy, so usually 3:30-4:00 works best depending on belt loops (which I'll now go to the trouble of relocating as necessary).

To the extent that it matters, I'll probably end up carrying a Glock other reasonably-priced tupperware because I don't want to risk losing my P228 or something expensive if I end up having to use it.

So paddle for easy on/off, with sweat guard to protect shirts, and a reasonable cant for 3:30 carry. And it should look good. Because Maryland's permit doesn't differentiate between concealed and open carry (yet). Cool

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Skip the paddle. Get a holster with one-way-snap belt loops. These are widely available from any number of leather holster makers. See Alessi CQC-S, Ritchie CQ-QR, UBG Regulator, TT Gun Leather Snap OWB, Galco SSS, etc.

Much more secure and concealable than a paddle, but just as easy on/off.

Paddles tend to flop around on the belt, and stick out from your side much more noticeably. The snap belt loop OWBs lie flat up against your side, just like your Galco Concealable pancake holster. (And unlike your Concealable, they're available with sweat guards too...)

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went with a Alien gear belly band belt.
Fast to take on and off, I can quickly switch holster to OWB or IWB, I can position it high or low, left or right.

Posts: 4620 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I use Safariland paddle holsters. I like the molded paddle, which is thin and molded with sufficient curvature to fit the body. It will not come out, nor unhook from the belt. However, the holster does protrude far more than the typical leather OWB with removal snaps as recommended above. I use the plastic paddle holster only when concealment is not a challenge.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
In the past, I used a Kramer horsehide leather paddle holster for my SIG P220 & P226. A few of my friends have the Comp Tac kydex paddle holster - they like it.

If I was to pick one up now, I think that I would look at the Comp Tac one - I like the way the paddle portion is shaped on it.

I will agree - they are not as concealable a holster as belt scabbards/IWBs, etc...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is my CZ PO7 in a TT Gun Leather snap pancake holster. Very easy on and off it just takes a few seconds going on or off. Top quality and looks damn nice.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
For me the problem with paddle holsters is where I position any owb there is always a pants belt loop in the way. I can just put the paddle inside my pants but that is uncomfortable to me.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
R. Grizzle Georgia Snap 2 (GS2) FTW:

Easy-on, easy-off, rides high and comfortably.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
For me the problem with paddle holsters is where I position any owb there is always a pants belt loop in the way. I can just put the paddle inside my pants but that is uncomfortable to me.

Well, paddle holsters are designed for the paddle portion to go inside your pants.

They're not intended go to between the belt and the waist of the pants.

But yes, they're noticeably less comfortable than pancake holsters. Reason number eleventeen why a pancake holster with snap belt attachments is a better option.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galco FED paddle (discontinued ) and the current and very similar Galco PLE holster.

https://www.galcogunleather.co..._1236.html?filters=1

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've never even found paddle holsters to be "easy-on, easy-off". They (nearly) all have a lip on them that prevents them accidentally sliding up and out, but that same lip also means that you have to unfasten your pants to don or doff the thing. True, you don't have to unthread your belt, but it's not exactly a quick-change evolution that you can do standing beside your vehicle.

And the ones that don't have the lip tend to be unstable, sliding around and canting at random angles.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I tried long and hard to like the paddle holster for EDC, but every design I've tried lets the grip of the pistol sit too far away from my body for my liking. Kramer makes an interesting design that incorporates a belt loop for security.

https://www.kramerleather.com/...s/msp-paddle-holster

I've never used one because I found the belt snap loops hold the gun where I want it. As always, YMMV.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try this one as an alternative to my DeSantis IWB SLIM-TUK:

Posts: 4018 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post