SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Lights or no lights on mini edc guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lights or no lights on mini edc guns Login/Join 
posted
I suspect this question has been asked previously but nothing came up in my search. I just picked up a p365xl w romeozero. I had been carrying a Shield with a TLR-6. I know Tactical Development makes a nice adapter rail, and there are holsters to support the rail with several lights, I’m curious how many Of you with smaller guns are carrying lights. I’ve taken some comfort in having a light to date but I don’t recall being in a location where it was too dark to see at edc distances. I’d welcome your thoughts.

Posts: 9 | Location: Savannah, GA | Registered: July 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Many will suggest carrying a mini hand held flashlight instead of weapon mounted. Holster issue resolved.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
This. I’m all for WML on pistols. You won’t hear me repeating the silly “violates safety rules”nonsense.

But on an EDC, it’s job is to get me out of trouble and to safety, no search for gunman in the dark. I can do any self defense scenario that pops up with a G19 and Surefire Stiletto.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My home defense pistol has a light, but not my EDC gun.
Regardless of size, I dont add bulk to, or complicate my holster gun.
I carry a high lumen tactical flashlight always.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Adding to Jerry’s comments; from a civilian engagement perspective, I can’t think of a single time that I have been anywhere that It was so dark I think I would have needed a weapon light, that I wouldn’t already have my handheld light deployed.

My house gun has a light.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Gun and light separate. I don't see the point of taking a gun expressly designed to make it little and making it bigger.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer a WML...they are small enough now not to add much size...the extra weight although minimal can help with muzzle flip on a small handgun that’s already small in your hands, 2 handed shooting is much more stable and lastly, if needed I can use the hand for something else...

Posts: 339 | Location: Lower Alabama | Registered: November 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the p365 xl, zero and tlr6 on the gun in a black point holster. It is fine for size and weight no issue.

Posts: 373 | Registered: September 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 to WML as long as it doesn't substantially increase size and you still have a handheld EDC light.

-1 to WML if you intend to replace a handheld light.

TRL-6 on P365/P365XL or Shield is a good call.

I can think of several reasons why:
- power goes out or main light fails in dark area
- other hand is injured/busy (calling 911, carrying child, etc)

This may sound silly, but very few criminal actors have WMLs. Police officers do. Having a light suggests to bystanders, at least for a little bit, that you might not be a criminal actor.

If it doesn't add too much bulk, why not..?

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a TLR-6 on my P365.

I am finding it a little hard to get used to.

I am used to a crimson trace laser that just came on as I held the gun.

With time it I expect it to become second nature.

I am pocket carrying it, in a Vedder holster lighttuck that I can also IWB carry

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I can't pocket carry a G26 so no, no WML on my mini EDC.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a mini edc, I say no light. For me that is a S&W shield. It's not my bump in the night gun, nor is it my 3am Walmart run gun. On a midsize or full-size, especially in winter, I can't tell you I religiously use a light, but I will if I think it's warranted. Nighstand gun, 100% has a light, one less thing to remember.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
365 is my EDC; 365XL with Viridian C5L is at the bedside. Garrett makes a holster for the XL+light. I have a Recover picatinny rail for the 365 in case I want to mount the C5L on it.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a micro pistol like a P365 or a G43, the idea of slapping on a light seems ridiculous to me. The only way it would make sense is if the carry mode enabled it, and one used a similar setup as a duty or regular carry firearm.

I carry a Surefire flashlight on my belt, weak side, everywhere I go. I use it more than a pocket knife; It is used constantly. I'm far, far more likely to reach for that light, than I am a pistol.

I'm okay shooting with the light if need be, but my pistol is intended to respond to a threat and then get away.

I've used my light in a confrontation when blinding the other person prevented needing to draw the HK 45 in a holster, in my hand, on my strong side. the other guy didn't even know I was armed, or who I was, and that was fine. I can't stare into a 1,000 lumen light, and I doubt many others can, either.

Most of the time I'm likely to be drawing my concealed carry firearm, I'm not likely to be worried about a light, and given that more often than not, my pistol is in a pocket, adding a light would only impede the presentation. Others mileage, of course will vary.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, all my handguns get lights. I think of it like the argument to stick to one battery of arms. I want to keep my focus on whatever is happening, and not have to consciously consider the configuration of the handgun I happen to be using. Added benefits particularly beneficial to mini edcs include the fact that the added weight of light out front acts like a compensator, lessening recoil and if pocket carried the profile more closely resembles a wallet. The mini lights designed for carry guns are pretty good at not protruding far past the muzzle. This is dead space not utilized when one carries without a light and I don't find it less comfortable to fill with a light.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Wholeheartedly concur
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Many will suggest carrying a mini hand held flashlight instead of weapon mounted. Holster issue resolved.

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My duty weapon has a light.
The pistol on my nightstand has a light.
My long guns have lights.

My CCW pistols do not. Primarily because I prefer a no rail 1911 when I carry what I WANT to carry, and when I carry something small, I want to keep it small. I have a one cell Fenix light I carry as an EDC light.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look at mini edc guns as hey, get me out of this jam. so no lights, no red dots, not even night sights for me. It's strictly point and shoot with the little guns. I'm not searching for bad guys, if I pull me edc, the bad guy is right in front of me and it's go time.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad guy shoots a light in the dark. Not a good idea

allen conrad

Posts: 20 | Registered: October 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adc:
Bad guy shoots a light in the dark. Not a good idea

Roll Eyes

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post