SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster Login/Join 
posted
There have been a few threads concerning shoulder holsters in the recent past. Andrews Leather Monarch shoulder holster has been mentioned a time or two. I've been mostly satisfied with the Galco vertical shoulder holster for carrying a 1911 pistol but I have discovered a couple things that are less than optimal after many months of use. Therefore, I am looking at other shoulder holsters. The one I've become most interested in is the Andrews Monarch. I would appreciate some comments (positive or negative) from folks who own and use this holster. I am particularly curious as to how well the horizontal belt connecting the two sides of the rig stabilizes the system without the use of tie downs. Thanks in advance for any help on this subject.

Posts: 689 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
While I’ve found over time that shoulder holsters just are not for me, I did try some good ones (Galco Miami Classic and their Jackass rig) before landing a barely-used Monarch online, sized for a 1911.

I was particularly attracted by that dual-strap system across the back, too, and found it very workable and secure, if that makes sense. I didn’t feel like I was at a disadvantage with no formal tie-downs.

I had liked the Galco Jackass rig more than the Miami Classic; the Monarch eclipsed them both for me.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your thoughts, sir.
I've worn the Miami Classic and the Jackass from Galco so your comments are quite useful for comparing with the Monarch. I am encouraged by your experience with strap across the back. It does make sense.

Posts: 689 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help you, but my Andrews Monarch, ordered the beginning of September, is yet to arrive.

I have an Alessi Bodyguard for my P239 SAS.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on your physique. I have one for a P229 - due to my body shape, shoulder holster carry requires a lot of thought on cover garments. If you're not going to be physically moving (like running), it might be good for you. I still prefer to have something that lets me secure it to my belt. While still not perfect, I've had better luck with one that has the ability to secure it better.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The horizontal strap, across the back, reduces flopping-about, and, enables one to bend forward, without worrying about the holster body or the mag pouches swinging forward/downward. It is a simple idea, that just works, nicely, as intended. Notably, the lack of tie-down simplifies the task of expediently dropping one’s trousers, during potty breaks, which is more meaningful to some folks than others. (Some foods just don’t agree with me, anymore, and I am often having to add foods to the “avoid” list.)

I would wear my Andrews Monarch, much more often, if I lived in a cooler climate. It is VERY convenient when traveling, on long road trips, seated in air-conditioned vehicles.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Wish I could help you, but my Andrews Monarch, ordered the beginning of September, is yet to arrive.

Before he put on extra help, I waited 13 months for a holster once. The last one I ordered was one of his more common models (same as the 13 month model) and it took about 6 weeks. I would imagine that for the shoulder holsters, he doesn't keep partially completed blanks in stock like he does for the more popular ones.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rexster, I identify with the inconvenience of belt tie downs. I find the process of looping the tie down strap around the belt and getting it snapped together so difficult and awkward that I put on the holster rig first with the tie downs already snapped together and then feed my belt through them along with the pants belt loops. It becomes quite a production. I think I've heard enough positive comments about the effectiveness of the horizontal strap across the back to take the leap. Thanks to all for your contributions.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Before he put on extra help, I waited 13 months for a holster once.

I hope it isn't that long!

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I would imagine that for the shoulder holsters, he doesn't keep partially completed blanks in stock like he does for the more popular ones.

I think perhaps he does.

The shoulder straps are the same, regardless of holster and mag carriers. And my order was for a 1911, which he says he gets more call for than any other pistol.

Oh well. It'll shine when it shines Smile

quote:
Originally posted by ohioup:
Rexster, I identify with the inconvenience of belt tie downs. I find the process of looping the tie down strap around the belt and getting it snapped together so difficult ...

Huh... I've never really had any significant problem with that with my Alessi Bodyguard.

You do realize those are probably pull-the-dot/one-way snaps, right? That means they want to close and open in a particular manner. Not like traditional snaps.

It makes a big difference, too. Somebody had a brain fart in building my Alessi Bodyguard and it was essentially unusable. (My holster on that rig is a pull-through.) Turned out whomever'd installed the snap had installed it backwards.

Star Brite Snap and Zipper Lubricant can help, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ensigmatic, I do understand the one way snap procedure. My difficulty stems mostly from the awkwardness of trying to close the snap at 3 o'clock. I have issues in my right arm and shoulder which interfere.

I just ordered a Monarch for a 1911 and Mr. Andrews said he's just started a batch of (most popular) 1911 Monarch rigs which could be ready in a few weeks. Perhaps you'll be seeing your new holster soon.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ensigmatic, I do understand the one way snap procedure.

Ok. Just checking Smile

quote:
I just ordered a Monarch for a 1911 and Mr. Andrews said he's just started a batch of (most popular) 1911 Monarch rigs which could be ready in a few weeks. Perhaps you'll be seeing your new holster soon.

Ah. Thanks for that. I was thinking of asking you to ask him what lead times were like right now.

posted Hide Post
I'm missing one fastener for mine - they all appear to be the same. Any idea of name/model where I can order one or more without having to bother Andrews and slow their production down?

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigSAC,

Andrews website pics aren't high resolution enough for me to tell what the fasteners are. I have a left over black screw and brass female part from a Galco holster you are welcome to. I noticed that Galco sells a set of 4 for $8.00 plus shipping, no doubt.

posted Hide Post
Found out that they use Chicago screws. Not sure what size. I'll give them a call and see what size.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I do not have the Andrews holster. I do have a very affordable nylon shoulder holster with the horizontal strap joining the two sides. It is quite challenging to fasten this holster strap without another party snapping the two parts together. It does function to keep the weapon and magazines from falling forward. Andrews is not the only supplier of such a design.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Found out that they use Chicago screws. Not sure what size. I'll give them a call and see what size.

Maybe you misplaced yours, but Andrews includes a couple spare sets, in a small plastic bag, with the Monarch.

Oh yeah: I received my Monarch a week ago, Thursday. Love it! Smile Definitely worth there wait.

Unfortunately, the pull-the-dot snap on my holster was defective and became wonky after a couple dozen snap/unsnap cycles. Called Sam. "Yeah, that sometimes happens with those." He's got it back for the snap replacement. I imagine I'll have the holster back from him by NLT the end of this coming week.