SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What are you using for motorcycle carry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you using for motorcycle carry? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for suggestions. I prefer on the body, such as strong side. My concerns are more about exposing the holster but retention is important as well. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear an untucked shirt that covers the gun. When I get ready to ride, I wear a reflective vest. Once the vest goes on, I put the untucked shirt behind the grip of the pistol so the vest covers it. If I want to get off the bike, I can leave the vest in place or if I want to stay longer, recover the pistol and take off the vest. I got my vest from www.hivizsupply.com. It is an all black surveyors vest. Loaded with pockets and has lots of reflectivity. Long enough to cover anything I carry. Goes on easy over a bike jacket. I don't ride without it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I might return to IWB for this application. The vest also looks like a good plan and anything that increases visibility is a plus.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Whatever holster I was using before I got on the bike. I cover the holster either with a garage shirt, a vest, or jacket depending on the weather.

Some people worry about hurting themselves landing on the holster if they crash. In my early days on the job I worked a lot of motorcycle crashes. Landing on a holstered firearm really wouldn't have been their major issue.

I'm a cruiser/bagger guy though. If you ride sport bikes you might have different needs due to dress and riding posture. Or you might be one of those guys who is smarter than me and wears full gear all the time.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
On the motorcycle I always preferred a paddle. Slip in the tank bag moving, slip on the belt when off bike.

I am one of those oncerned about additional or more serious injury but equally, if not more important, the possible loss of the firearm if I went down carrying on body.

Take a tumble and the gun leaves the holster at 30 or more miles an hour it may be quite difficult to locate after the fact. Even if tank bag doesn’t stay with the bike, it is a bigger “needle” to find while searching the haystack.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
If I'm going back and forth to work which usually involves going to the gym as well, when discretion is important, it's an LCP in the front pocket of my riding jacket.

For all other general riding, it's a Galco shoulder holster for my G26. I wear my gear tight around the waist so my normal OWB doesn't work as well. The shoulder holster is an excellent option for me.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rosie, the Corgi,
is my copilot
posted Hide Post
Back when I was riding a cruiser I would carry my j-frame in a cross draw holster but on the strong side.

Posts: 3672 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an IWB holster made with a thumb brake added on. Similar to a Milt Sparks VMII.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kaygee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:...For all other general riding, it's a Galco shoulder holster for my G26. I wear my gear tight around the waist so my normal OWB doesn't work as well. The shoulder holster is an excellent option for me.

How do you handle the times when you stop for lunch? Do you just always keep your jacket on?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kaygee,

________________________________________________________________________________________
"It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to post in the Lounge and remove all doubt" - KG

Posts: 36 | Registered: May 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry a J frame because no matter where I carry it I can't be 'made'. If it's a club ride with colors my riding vest has CCW pockets. If I'm not wearing a vest my riding pants have cargo pockets that have velcro panels in them. An added bonus to the bike pants is they have soft armor under the thigh pockets so I won't take the full force of the gun being slammed into me in the event of an accident.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nothing on my person. On a low/high side I could land right on it, no thanks. Met a guy once who went down, and landed right on his 1911. Crushed his hip, no more riding, ever. I wear a full armored suit so on one bike my right wrist is my protection. My other bike I use a tank bag and carry but it’s relatively pointless. I use armored gloves and it’s almost impossible to get your trigger finger through the trigger guard and control the trigger. I’ve tried at the range bringing my riding gloves with me. It’s practicslly useless and I’d be more likely to hit a bystander than a target with my gloves on.

A track day or riding school would be more beneficial imo. Shit hits the fan good luck catching me. You better know how to put a knee down or drive a McLaren.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Nothing on my person. On a low/high side I could land right on it, no thanks. Met a guy once who went down, and landed right on his 1911. Crushed his hip, no more riding, ever. I wear a full armored suit so on one bike my right wrist is my protection. My other bike I use a tank bag and carry but it’s relatively pointless. I use armored gloves and it’s almost impossible to get your trigger finger through the trigger guard and control the trigger. I’ve tried at the range bringing my riding gloves with me. It’s practicslly useless and I’d be more likely to hit a bystander than a target with my gloves on.

A track day or riding school would be more beneficial imo. Shit hits the fan good luck catching me. You better know how to put a knee down or drive a McLaren.

Same here. Never carried on a bike and if it's off body, you're already at a disadvantage.
Have a friend in Pennsylvania who open carries when he rides and he's been pulled over more times than I have fingers. No thanks.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoulder holster on motorcycle and chest houlster on a side by side 4 wheeler.

Posts: 6 | Registered: August 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dunno if anyone of you ever crashed, but I'll admit I have. I've no desire to do it again, but if I did I dont want anything large and metal on my body. Gat rides in a fanny pack in a bag, and pack goes on after I dismount.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I carry OWB the exact same if I am walking around or riding my motorcycle. The only difference when I am riding my motorcycle is I carry a backup J frame in my inner riding jacket pocket.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
I ride a sportbike. I carry a LCP either in a front jeans pocket or in a zippered jacket pocket. Fwiw, I ride with armored gloves, so it will be slower getting to the pistol as I first have to get my gloves off...

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post