SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Red Dot type sights-red or green?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot type sights-red or green? Login/Join 
posted
I'm thinking of buying a red dot type sight, probably a Holosun, for my Shadow Systems CR920 tomorrow.

I have a 507C on a bigger SS pistol, the MR920, reticle being green with a small red dot,

I am considering buying a red reticle with a red dot for EDC, but I don't now what the wisdom of the Forum thinks about the colors of reticles.

I confess I am allegedly color-blind (okay-the only Lawyer you know without a High School Diploma and the only former Cop you know who may be color blind).

I say allegedly because, as a young child I learned my colors from flash cards (and my addition, subtraction, multiplication tables, etc,). Joined the Army, got out, became a police officer, passed all the various physicals, eye tests, etc.

Then some buggerhead invented a bunch of pages with dots on them and claimed there were numbers somewhere on the page, I ain't seen no numbers, ever, except the first one, the so-called "example."

Anyway, what color reticle do you all think is best for EDC?

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see green better than red and I think it's been said that before also.
Anytime I had a fiber optic front sight and I got to choose the color of the rod, I always went with green.
I don't run any red dots on pistols but all my ARs have some type of optic. 2 of the 5 have an optic that I can switch between red and green. I'll run green if I can but red works also.
If this is a carry pistol and you carry it all the time, red might be better for low light/dark conditions. Green for me is funky at night. Maybe that's just me.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Like front sight outline colors (red/orange/yellow/green/etc.), this is going to come down to personal preference. Try them, and figure out what you like.

I don't think there's any data showing that one color is objectively superior to the other.

Personally, all of my red dots have always been... well... red. So that's what I stick with, because that's what I have experience with. My brain is already wired to pick up the red dot.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Green would be the technical answer as everyone sees it better than any other color.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/05...r%20everyday%20lives.

Green, the mixture of blue and yellow, can be seen everywhere and in countless shades. In fact, the human eye sees green better than any color in the spectrum.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
My top pin on my bow sight was always green because I saw it better than red. I tried a green Holosun and wound up going red, it was, for some reason, easier for me to pick up.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I will just go over to my great LGS and look at both side by side so to speak. I like my green (I see it as yellow) 507C so maybe another one on my CR920 is the best course.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, went over, compared both-the red and the green-and picked the green which is the same as the 507C on my MT920.

Traded a couple of knives and a bit of $ and left the gun to get the Holosun installed.

Thanks all,

Bob

posted Hide Post
Green is more easily seen. However I would go for a 2-3moa dot, nothing larger. "Aim small, hit small" as JLJones repeats in the OpSpec classes.

-c1steve

Posts: 4038 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I recently got a Glock MOS again, and I’m thinking about a Holosun SCS, so i don’t have to use a plate and can get a lower profile optic. But its only green from the look of it. Ive never tried green either.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a call late Saturday afternoon, the shop's gunsmith came in and attached the Holosun and it is ready to go. Plan to pick it up this morning when the shop opens at 9.

Yes, I did pick green but only after comparing them, the red and the green, side by side. Though I may be color blind (ain't willing to concede that yet), the green is faster to see when I look at the target, raise the sight and look through it. Said differently, when I raise the green and look, I seem to be ready to shoot a bit sooner than when I raise the red.

I am not sure which model I picked. I don't pay too much attention to whether something is a -1, -2, a B, a C or whatever unless/until the designation becomes important. It wasn't, at least then.

But the circle and dot on my MR 920 (a C model BTW) is HUGE, 32mm, with a small, 2mm, red dot in the center.

I like it fine, BUT, the circle now in the Holosun on my CR920 is smaller, just like the gun. It seemed perfect (not nice, not okay, not adequate, but PERFECT) for my smaller gun and the sight. I don't know what the model number was.

I am quite interested in seeing if the sight picture (do we still call it that with a red dot type of device?) is the same on the gun when I pick it up and look through as it was when I just held it up and looked through.

Can't see why there'd be a difference.

If so, for me this sight seems like it will be a real (and here I guess I'll use one of those overused phrases) game changer.

Bob

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Vortex Strikefire II does both.
From my own personal use, I prefer green indoors/low light, red outdoors.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post