SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CCW in upstate NY - Many restrictions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW in upstate NY - Many restrictions Login/Join 
posted
It appears there are very few public places I can legally carry.

I am a retired Reserve Deputy covered under LEOSA, I'll be in the Syracuse area next week for a high school reunion. I'll bring along the LCP I, but there are a whole of lot of "sensitive locations" where law abiding citizens cannot carry:

https://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

There's an exemption for retired LEOs, but I was a volunteer here in IA and I doubt that applies:

3 (d) persons who were employed as police officers as defined in subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of the criminal procedure law but are retired;

I do not plan to drink, but we will be going to restaurants that serve alcohol. Those of you who live in NY, do you just leave your gun at home most of the time?

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
When I lived there, I just carried wherever I was, unless I saw a metal detector. It's my business, not anyone else's.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
When I lived there, I just carried wherever...

Before if caught they would say "Bad!". Or if you were from a county with administrative restrictions, maybe they'd suspend your license for a while.

Since last September, it's a felony charge.

Currently, unless there's a sign saying you can carry, it's a felony. So even if the restaurant didn't serve alcohol, they'd still have to have a sign saying you could CC.

Crooked Kathy wants you to have a safe in the trunk of your car, and leave your pistol locked in that when you go anywhere. And somehow do that without brandishing.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news: I've made my escape from New York. Yeah, I'm now in Maryland, but there are far fewer restrictions here.

I am so glad that I 1) moved out of NY 40 years ago and 2) settled in Iowa 30 years ago.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
In NY we do what we do but legally you basically can't carry anywhere that doesn't have a sign explicitly stating that concealed carry is allowed as already posted. I was in Ace hardware today and was pleasantly surprised to see a sign on the door as I walked in.
We also started out ammunition background check system yesterday. Each ammo purchase requires a state run background check and costs $2.50. My favorite part is that unlike on a 4473 your social security number is required. I'm out in a year at this point and I have plenty of ammo to hold me over so I just sit back and laugh because the gun owners of NY allowed this to happen.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
When I lived there, I just carried wherever I was, unless I saw a metal detector. It's my business, not anyone else's.

Me too. Can't say as I'd recommend it nowadays though.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you are covered by LEOSA, that's all that's going to get looked at. No one is going to start looking into the how and why if you have that ID card.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
BTW, they wrote LEOSA covered individuals out of the sensitive places issue wit the last revision to NYS law.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post