SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Anyone else Fanny Pack carry???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else Fanny Pack carry??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I got tired of wearing a belt and shorts or pants that accommodate a belt. With 3 boys I am constantly moving, bending, etc. Nothing really comfortable or lightweight in the heat accommodates a belt I could find.
We went to Disney awhile back and I wore athletic shorts carried my phone with a card tucked under the case. That was the most comfortable I had been in a very long time (not considering I did not have a gun).
Tried a belly band and while comfortable for what it was just could not wear it and not print without wearing a really nasty sloppy big shirt.
I remembered that when we went to Disney I bought my wife a flat little pack to put her phone and a couple of cards in while at the park. She wore it under her shirt and it completely disappeared.
I grabbed that thing and what do you know my G43 with +2 grip fit perfectly in the main pouch. Had my buddy make me one of those kydex trigger guard holsters with a lanyard on it. I have the lanyard come out between the two zippers and looped around the belt portion of the Fanny pack.
So I just reach in the pack pull the gun out real quick and the trigger guard holster pops right off as I draw.
The Magpul DAKA flat wallet and my truck key fit in the front pocket.
The pack pretty much disappears in the flat of my back or at the front under my shirt but if the shirt happens to ride up it certainly does not scream gun.
Very comfortable there is a bit of breathable padding on the back of the pack. The G43 is not very heavy so weight is minimal.
One could easily run with this setup. I mountain bike with it and one does not even know it is there. Only thing I think I will do is sew or glue an elastic loop in the main pouch to hold the spare mag in place.

The Kavu Spectator is the pack I bought.
https://kavu.com/products/spectator

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do occasionally, and really like having the option when I am running or in athletic shorts/T-shirt. I think you have a major issue nailed by having a kydex trigger guard. Some thing that I did instead of sewing a loop what is to add some loop side Velcro and then use VERTX tactigami holster. (They are like the old 5.11 backup velcro but the whole thing is made of velcro onewrap). Worn sling style over the chest, looks like the 90s are making a comeback. For bonus points, use a crappy old pair of earbuds to loop through the lanyard hole of your kydex trigger guard and let it dangle out between the zippers of your pack. You can “rip” the pack open with the wire, pull the gun to you, and pop the guard off. Plus, everything thinks you have a crappy old hipster walkman in there.)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Beagle:
I do occasionally, and really like having the option when I am running or in athletic shorts/T-shirt. I think you have a major issue nailed by having a kydex trigger guard. Some thing that I did instead of sewing a loop what is to add some loop side Velcro and then use VERTX tactigami holster. (They are like the old 5.11 backup velcro but the whole thing is made of velcro onewrap). Worn sling style over the chest, looks like the 90s are making a comeback. For bonus points, use a crappy old pair of earbuds to loop through the lanyard hole of your kydex trigger guard and let it dangle out between the zippers of your pack. You can “rip” the pack open with the wire, pull the gun to you, and pop the guard off. Plus, everything thinks you have a crappy old hipster walkman in there.)

I forgot to mention mine is a pacsafe version so it has a cable to keep it from getting cut off my body and a security clip so somebody can’t just grab the buckle and snatch my man-purse setup. Also, it has some kind of steel mesh inside so you can’t cut your way in and a lock.

It’s a much older one but like this:
https://pacsafe.com/collection...-anti-theft-hip-pack

It’s overkill on the security features for a normal fanny pack/sling bag but off-body carry presents “purse snatching” problems and I don’t want to be chasing after some dude like that scene in White Chicks…

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A) I tried a few - and will probably use one again, now that I have to get back into shape. (I used them to carry when I was still competing.) I notice the carry compartment has to have square corners, the rounded ones would bind and jam.

Lots of them really weren't made well. Eagle Brand Industries had a well-made one, which I could practice with, to an extent.

B) I also find them useful for long drives, as its more comfortable that sitting with keys, phone, etc in my pockets.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes. When I do, ts the 5.11 Rapid 3L or Maxpedition Proteus.
But they both look very Tactical Timmy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
During the summer months I frequently wear gym shorts, even when out and about. Fanny pack or shoulder sling are handy for the P365 as well as cellphone, wallet, key fob, etc.

I am well past the point of being fashion conscious, function is more important to me.

This is the sling bag I use that is not as “obvious” that I am carrying

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794GVC54

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am well past the point of being fashion conscious, function is more important to me.

You and me both. Comfort and function are top for me.
I wore my wife’s pack for awhile to make sure I liked it before I bought my own.
Her’s is a bright purple/lavender one. I went twitch a bit more subdued black with grey topographical map markings.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing you in shorts and a purple fanny pack might deter them more than the gun! Big Grin

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember Tommy’s Gunpacks? I still have one of their fanny-packs that I think I bought quite a while back from a for-sale post they ran here. It comes in quite handy at times.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Anyone remember Tommy’s Gunpacks? I still have one of their fanny-packs that I think I bought quite a while back from a for-sale post they ran here. It comes in quite handy at times.

You're showing your age!!! Big Grin Back "in the day", Tommy's Gunpacks were my "go to" CCW choice. I've given most of them away over the years, but still have this one around. I really liked their quick draw buckle design and was very sad to learn the company went away a few years back.

I don't usually carry defensive pistols in a pouch, but when I do, it's one of Wilderness Tactical's "Safepacker" Concealment Holsters.
https://www.thewilderness.com/...concealment-holster/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ LOL pulicords, indeed, the Tommy’s era was a good while back. I think my Gunpack is nearly identical to the one you posted.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old school cool, that one.

posted Hide Post
I've started using a London Bridge Trading fanny pack for my 365 and a spare mag. It is just big enough to accommodate both. I haven't bought a trigger guard holster yet, so I just stick the pistol in it's regular holster in it, hoping I'll have a hand free to strip it off if needed.

It isn't my first choice, but for shorts and T-shirts it works adequately. I bought it in camo so it's invisible Wink.

One caveat; LBT is very pricey, but runs sales pretty frequently.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I have a vintage Galco Fanny Pack I bought back in the 90’s when I first started carrying. Still use it to this day with a Glock 19 and 21 round spare mag. Works well and disappears under my gut under a t-shirt.

Posts: 1690 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Yup, in the summer time when I’m wearing something like gym shorts and a t-shirt.

S&W 642 with two 5-round speed strips, plus a few other items in an Uncle Mike’s Fanny Pack.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waist packs, yes, in various configurations, and a lumbar pack, on occasion, attached to a serious weight-bearing, back-packing-type of lumbar belt, yes. (I have a spinal issue that makes most “day packs” an upper-back pain, so I favor lumbar packs, to keep the typical day-pack’s-worth of weight on my hips.) Not sure about this “fanny” terminology. Wink Most of my waist packs have not been purpose-built for handgun carry, except for an early example of the DeSantis Gunny Sack, which took a beating that quickly wore-out its hook-and-loop perimeter closure. (I think that subsequent generations of the Gunny Sack were designed somewhat differently, but I did not try them.) I tended to keep the actual handgun elsewhere, while the quite gunny-looking Gunny Sack toted other things.)

I did, however, recently take delivery of a pre-owned, but new-appearance, old-school, medium Eagle Industries product, as it may be “just right” if I decide to tote my railed S&W 3913 TSW, with a small, WML, as a “bag gun.” Old-school bag for old-school gun. What can I say, I got nostalgic for my ealy-Nineties S&W 3913, which was The Hotness, it its day, so, I recently started buying variants of them.

Since the very early Nineties, if not some time in the Eighties, I have tended to use a Safepacker, made by The Wilderness dot com, on a normal belt, or on a strap, or attached to a larger bag or pack, to tote an actual weapon. The Safepacker has the advantage of looking very much like something made to tote a tablet, and, in recent yers, The Wilderness starting making a version of it, specifically with just the one full-width compartment, to accept electronic tablets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rexster,

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
Yep, carried a J frame in a Nathan Sports 5k pak for years and now have decided to move up to the 365 in the same pack. It is made of neoprene so it stretches for me for the 365. Works great for me while running 5 days a week. Now, you wont put anything else in the pack except my ID but it works for me for a gun that weighs almost 2 pounds loaded.

---------------------------------------------------
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC.

Certified OPOTA Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor and Glock Armorer!

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Often carry a LCR in a 5.11 pack.

Still have a USA made Galco pack for small autos. Like the spare magazine carrier in the neoprene panel.

Used to carry 5906 in Galco pack.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
During the summer months I frequently wear gym shorts, even when out and about. Fanny pack or shoulder sling are handy for the P365 as well as cellphone, wallet, key fob, etc.

This is the sling bag I use that is not as “obvious” that I am carrying

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0794GVC54

At first glance I would expect to see that in church. Bueno for "not tactical."

The remark about a purple fanny pack and shorts goes to some choices we make. If the owner has short hair (whitewalls) is athletically inclined and wearing black sneakers then it won't make any difference to me what hes packing, he's packing. There is more to an assessment they might be carrying concealed than what they conceal it in.

A younger slightly built male with long blonde hair toting a Molle pack near a school is likely not packing.

An older female at a theme park with a younger family, not. A younger fit female jogging, maybe.

It's a thing among gun forums to think a fanny pack is always a gun holster, the reality is they are getting popular again with medications, and younger women avoiding shopping bag purses of their mothers generation. Their cell phone "wallet" is all they keep. Something to carry it out of their hand is what they adopt, especially if they have two children to tow. I mention that because if the stats are correct we added 8 million women carrying in the last two years.

I have carried in a fanny pack, I wear it as a sling bag.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to Ebay and found a used Tommys fanny pack for $30. And someone claiming to be the original Tommys maker has an EBay store. All the packs are listed for around $100, which seems pricey.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post