SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Considering changing my carry setup.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering changing my carry setup. Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
My current carry is a G19, G17+2 magazines,
Lobo AIWB. No problems, never had to use it.
Thinking of going to DA/SA, just because.
Considering P229, P226 +2 magazines or,
compact Beretta 92, standard 92 magazines
(+ if available.)

Comments please.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
At one time or another I’ve carried either of the first two pistols you noted, typically with 2 spare mags and carried OWB rather than AIWB. Both are good choices as are the Berettas, I suspect (I have no experience with those myself).

What are you the most proficient and trained-up with?

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I carried a Gov't 45 1911 daily for 25 years. Then I discovered the M&P's. Carried variations of those for about 6 years. For the last couple of years it has been my Beretta compact. I carry it OWB but I have used IWB with no problems either. It's a bit heavier than the polymer guns but there's just something about it that works well for me. I can hit first round DA just as fast as my striker guns, (it did take some practice to pefect that) and it's utterly reliable. I carry with a Mec-Gar 15 rd mag in the gun + 2-18 rd mags as spares. As you may already know, get a good sturdy belt. That's 50% + of carrying any pistol.
I can't comment on the Sig's but they should carry very similar to the Beretta's. Either one is a great choice.
Now, for a complimentary pic.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:

Double-check that this combination actually works reliably. A P229 grip frame is not merely a chopped P226 grip frame, and a P229 magazine is fatter than a P226 magazine. A P226 mag will lock into a P229, but they will wiggle, at the bottom, due to being loose, at least in the case of the .40 pistols. I did use a couple of Mec-Gar P226 .40 mags, as trainer mags, in my P229 .40 pistols, but they were a loose fit, so I did not use them as street mags. When I managed to accumulate enough proper P229 mags, I stopped using the P226 mags, and may have traded them, or given them away.

Things may have changed, in this regard, with the more-recent production, perhaps when SIG switched to P229 slides with the different type of extractor.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rexster, I was going to check it out. I will be carrying 9MM.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised you didn't mention the P228 as an option. Well made and a bit lighter than the P229 or P226 (with stainless steel slides). I'd also suggest a CZ75 Compact DA/SA PCR. A little work on it by CZ Custom or Cajun Custom shops will give you the best DA/SA trigger imaginable!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
So, just an FYI, I go to this tactical shooting event every other Tuesday night. It's actually quite fun and you learn really fast where your strengths and weaknesses are.

One of the other shooters has been rocking a P228 from the early 1990s. A West German one too. Super nice gun. She shoots both the tactical class and their action shooting night where she shoots a Springfield XDm with a spiffy red dot on it.

Part of the deal with the class is that you have to watch the other students closely and help critique and let them know what you see. Criticism is always positive and is well received by everyone.

Anyway, I've been watching her with that gorgeous P228, and her draw time to the first shot is always just north of 2 seconds because she has a hard time going from the striker fired gun to the DA/SA carry gun.

The point here isn't that DA/SA is bad, but that if you decide to do it, make sure you go to the range and shoot the hell out of the DA before you carry and then do 20-30 reps of draw, sights on target, DA trigger press dry fire before you start packing it around because it takes some extra time to master it and I've watched that in real time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PrinceAliFabulousHe,

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Look at HK P30/P2000 and CZ P07 too. I love GLOCK’s, esp G19 but I don’t like carrying them AIWB.

ETA: Also Beretta PX4 compact and 92 compact/centurion.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Meh.

DA shots are no slower. I keep hearing people claim it, but what it comes back to is that MANY don't know how to properly manipulate the DA shot. I'm as fast with the DA, but where it shines is because of the long trigger pull that I can manipulate, I am more accurate at distance. Today, I was doing draw fire ones from concealment. Glock 19 and a SIG P226. Average times were 1.20. The hits were way less erratic with the P226. All (except 3) were hits in the eight inch circle at 10 yards.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I’ve been carrying my CZ-75 P-01 Omega for the past year or so. The other day I broke out my Mantis X trainer and shot (dry-practice) a couple drills with my Glock 19X. Then I did the same with my P-01 Omega, DA only and then SA only. I was achieving similar scores with the P-01 in double action as I was getting with the G19X.

Say what you want about the Mantis, but it is a useful tool to gauge trigger control. At least it is for me; YMMV.

I carry my P-01 in either an OWB Wright Leather Works Predator, or IWB in a Clinger Kydex holster. I carry 2 spare 16 round P-01 mags, in either a Wright Leather double mag pouch or in two Tulster Universal Mag Holders. The P-01 Omega trigger is pretty good right out of the box, but one of these days I’ll either send it to Cajun Gun Works or CZ Customs to make it even better.

Good luck on your quest.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I swap between GLOCK and some da/sa guns. The biggest difference is the weight. It’s really hard to beat a g19 for size, weight, capacity, price, reliability...

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I like HKs, anyway, but I carry a LEM trigger one. (I also shoot revolvers in competition, without seeing much difference in my splits from my 2011/1911 splits.). I prefer DA only, to DA/SA but if the DA is smooth, it’s easy to adapt to.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a P229 DA/SA .40 for over 15 years. Currently carry a Gen4 G19 with X-Grip +2 and two spare G15 mags. Carried both in IWB and OWB holsters. Like the extra G19 rounds, only because at 79 I'm too old to run. Smile

Switched due to age and worsening arthritis in hands. Nothing wrong with either option.

However, I would discourage use of the P226 mags for carry purposes. Others have already mentioned the cons.

I'm not sure if longer P226 mags in P229 run the risk of over travel past the mag release when in slide lockback. I know for fact it's an issue with use of 1911 full-size mags in Officer's Model pistols. Took 20 minutes to clear the gun.

Personally, I love DA/SA. If you understand how the trigger should be worked, there is no downside. IMO, your choice falls into the personal preference category. Good luck.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried the P239 summer and P229 winter for years. Both DA/SA usually with .357 sig.

I went to pocket guns and now carry the p365.

Both your choices are excellent.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George43:
My current carry is a G19, G17+2 magazines,
Lobo AIWB. No problems, never had to use it.
Thinking of going to DA/SA, just because.
compact Beretta 92, standard 92 magazines
(+ if available.)

Comments please.

If its a p228 or a pre 229-1, the 226 mags will work. I just used the mecgar p228/9 18’s in my P228R

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
CZ P07. Unless you want an all metal gun, it will save you some weight. Also, on decock, the hammer is still slightly preloaded, so the DA trigger stroke is slightly lighter than others where the decocked trigger is all the way down.

To my eye, it's a bit big for CCW, but it's no bigger than your other choices.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post