SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Carrying a newborn and a pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying a newborn and a pistol? Login/Join 
posted
My wife is pregnant with our first child and due in late August. We intend to use one of the BabyBjorn carriers and I want to be the one wearing the little monster the majority of the time. Unfortunately, I am trying to determine how to carry both the tyke and my pistol comfortably and still have easy access to it. My usual carry is a P229 but I will probably slim down to the P225A1. However, the belt of the baby carrier wraps around my waist which will interfere with my usual outside the waistband at four o'clock position.

I am considering the Maxpedition Sitka (it would allow me to carry some baby stuff and a few odds & ends) but I am unsure if that would work with the carrier and if they would be comfortable. Also, if I am wearing both would I be able to sling the pack around and access the carry compartment?

I suppose I could downsize to a pocket carry but I really don’t want to go that small.

Has anyone else had this issue and what was their solution?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will help?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJriDAhIIQs

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carry the baby on your support side, unless you are going appendix, then the baby bookbag will work.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am actually more concerned about the carriers waist strap.

https://youtu.be/6MT3HBQCIjw

The waist belt will likely end up interfering with my preferred method of carrying a pistol outside the waistband. My fear is that the carrier's belt will rest where I want to carry my pistol or get tangled with my untucked shirt.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Anything around your waste is a compromise. Even a shoulder holster will be compromised by having to reach around the baby to access the gun. So maybe a diff baby carrier with a higher strap that goes around your chest & not waste?? Then strong side 3:30-4 should be most accessible.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
This doesn't really answer your question, but something to think about.

For context I have kids (7.5, 5 and 2.5 years old)

In today's world, whenever someone has their first child, there is a set of products that we all go out and buy in preparation for parenthood.

We quickly find out that most of this "parent starter kit" that we all buy is useless and never gets used. More often than not, the Baby Bjorn type devices are one such device.

I think we used ours about 5 times total with all 3 of our kids. Most people tend to be the same from my experience.

So, perhaps you won't be using it all that much and won't have to worry about it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the context, esdunbar. We have been lucky and either were able to procure most of the items at fair to amazing prices and the baby carrier was free from a co-worker.

On the plus side, I took possession of the carrier yesterday and tried it on for the first time last night. Both because I stand 6'4" and because it was a different model of BabyBjorn carrier I didn’t have a waist belt and the straps sit high enough on me not to interfere with my preferred carry so I got lucky.

I am actually hopeful that I will get a fair bit of use out of the carrier. I learned some time ago with nieces and nephews that my deep rumbling voice lulls them to sleep even when they are fussy, a little humming and a little bouncing and they are out like a light drooling on my shirt.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
We quickly find out that most of this "parent starter kit" that we all buy is useless and never gets used. More often than not, the Baby Bjorn type devices are one such device.

I think we used ours about 5 times total with all 3 of our kids. Most people tend to be the same from my experience.

Yep, this in spades. We've got a whole portion of the basement dedicated to housing that stuff for the next one. Our son is four, and it seems like worrying about carrying a pistol and carrying him in the sling was a worry for such a short amount of time that it's barely a blip on the radar.

Glad to hear it likely won't be a concern with the fit, DrewR. As for myself, I'm a few inches shorter and the style we used was less of a backpack/strapped thing and more of a blanket with loops and what-have-you. I feel like I used it more around the house than anything else, honestly. My son is quite big for his age, always has been, and that phase was... sadly a bit short.

Good luck, hope everything goes smooth. Smile

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I used a Maxpedition jumbo versipack. It doubled as a diaper bag. I honestly did not use it to CCW much. If I did, I never took it off, unless I was seated at a restaurant or car.

The nice thing about it is it frees up your hands, when you are carrying your kid.

Just as a diaper bag, it was awesome. Not too bag, not too small. And it was better than that purple shoulder bag my wife had. I give them as gifts for all my friends who have kids, just as diaper bags. I just gave mine away to a buddy who had his first born.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I used a Maxpedition jumbo versipack. It doubled as a diaper bag.

That’s a pretty good idea... I am afraid to think of what garish color my wife will choose.

posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be concerned about having the kid strapped to me while potentially drawing fire, rather than a carry method your can set the kid down easily to get him or her out of the fight.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Maybe it's just me, but I'd be concerned about having the kid strapped to me while potentially drawing fire, rather than a carry method your can set the kid down easily to get him or her out of the fight.

I don't think the OP's looking for a gunfight.

He's just looking for a solution to carrying while taking care of his child when he's out and about. I'm sure most of us could agree you have more family defense options while carrying the blaster then leaving it at home.

I went thru this same process when my first child arrived. There is no great answer when they are so little they can't move. Do you really want to just drop your kid on the ground in the middle of a 3 on 1 mugging scenario in a parking lot? I didn't find any easy answers that fit every scenario. I settled on having a way to de-ass the area with my kid and still having options to put rounds on target if necessary.

Here is how a Brazilian off-duty cop handled things:

Brazil police officer shoots at robbers while holding baby

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I would seriously consider going to a smaller pocket carry pistol like the P938 or new P365.

If you cannot avoid confrontation, you need to be able to present with only one hand as your support hand is like to be encumbered.

Just my thoughts....

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the video Yanert98. And I agree, the last think I want is to have to discharge a firearm while holding my child, God only knows what kind of hearing damage that might cause and all the other nightmares that entails.

EasyFire,
That is why I will likely swap to the P225A1 because I can comfortably one hand it. I am fortunate to have the Yeti paws that Beretta envisioned when they designed the 92 series of pistols.

It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t carry the kid the majority of the time. You draw your weapon and you become a shit magnet.

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1271 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might look in to the Contextual Handgun: Armed Parent/Guardian class by Citizen’s Defense Research (John Johnston of the Ballistic Radio podcast and Melody Lauer, who was in the above video).

We used the ErgoBaby with our girls. I don’t know how it compares, but I don’t recall it being a huge problem, particularly when the child was facing out. They were nice to have but we didn’t really use them all that much.

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a similar carrier for my little guys and had no issue with 4 oclock IWB that I recall. If its absolutely not working for you then Id say move your tike to a stroller. Not always practical but just a thought.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After seven months of balancing the little demon-child and my CCW I am happy to report that the Baby Bjorn doesn’t interfere with carrying at the four o'clock position. The straps are high enough that they sit well above my firearm. Although, to be honest, my wife tends to be happier when she is carrying him and it leaves me free to take care of whatever we're doing and keep an eye on them both.

Now, if I could just figure out a better way to distribute his squirming and ever-increasing weight more comfortably...

posted Hide Post
I know squat about this. However, would some type of small fanny pack work? Could be placed in a number of positions.

Never liked them for general carry. Your situation is going to reflect a compromise of some sort. I don't know if they still make the things.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post