SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Holster Squeak
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holster Squeak Login/Join 
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted
Hi everyone, what do you use or do about a squeaky leather holster? I've tried a little wax on the areas I think are rubbing, but it didn't help much. It's a Country Boy Georgia Snap. I sound like the tin man the morning after a thunder storm!

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My GS2 doesn't squeak all that much. Perhaps because I'm not wearing a leather belt?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Not sure, mine isn't leather either.

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several GS2 in HH that seem to be squeaky, I have rubbed a little talcum powder in the areas i thought were squeaking and it help. I also have a HH belt which probably doesnt help.

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have three of these, they all seem to squeak on me. Normally I wouldn't care, but I need to be in several meetings this week and don't want anyone to notice.

quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I have several GS2 in HH that seem to be squeaky, I have rubbed a little talcum powder in the areas i thought were squeaking and it help. I also have a HH belt which probably doesnt help.

Picture of eagle10
posted Hide Post
I have applied powder to the area and it helps with the squeaks. You will need to reapply after a while as it will wear off.

Posts: 112 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
QUALITY Neats Foot Oil - sparingly but may need several applications. Use too much and you get that white haze on the leather - which you CAN buff out but it's work.

Posts: 105 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Won't the neatsfoot oil soften the leather?

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Isound like the tin man the morning after a thunder storm!

Okay, this description made me chuckle, but let’s re-cast the scene: think of it as Marshal Dillon exiting the Longbranch Saloon, heading into the dusty street to face a ne’er-do-well, his proverbial “Big Iron” in its holster and gunbelt. There, that makes it better, right? Wink

My apologies, I’m not helping and especially not if you might be too young to have witnessed the TV phenomenon, “Gunsmoke” haha…

I honestly can see how this could be an issue. I wear leather belts and gear almost exclusively, and was sitting in a Sunday School class one time next to a guy who was a local Reserve Deputy. I’m all concealed, of course, as I took my seat, and he leans over and grins and asks, “New holster?”

We laughed about it and he admitted he “loved” the sound of gunleather-creak haha.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6730 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:
Isound like the tin man the morning after a thunder storm!

Okay, this description made me chuckle, but let’s re-cast the scene: think of it as Marshal Dillon exiting the Longbranch Saloon, heading into the dusty street to face a ne’er-do-well, his proverbial “Big Iron” in its holster and gunbelt. There, that makes it better, right? Wink

My apologies, I’m not helping and especially not if you might be too young to have witnessed the TV phenomenon, “Gunsmoke” haha…

I honestly can see how this could be an issue. I wear leather belts and gear almost exclusively, and was sitting in a Sunday School class one time next to a guy who was a local Reserve Deputy. I’m all concealed, of course, as I took my seat, and he leans over and grins and asks, “New holster?”

We laughed about it and he admitted he “loved” the sound of gunleather-creak haha.

I used to love Gunsmoke! I still like to watch the re-runs when I have the chance.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I like it, too.

I have a GS2 and I can't say as I've ever noticed any squeaking or creaking.

OP, you might try Mitch Rosen's Leather Lightning. I know it sure does wonders for making the draw instantly easier with new leather.

TBH: I suspect the only people who'd recognize what such squeaks might be are fellow gun folk that have also worn new leather, and they aren't likely to care.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Had a GS2 for a g26 that squeaked. Have one for a p228 that doesn't. Confused

Posts: 11410 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call Ryan Grizzle and ask him what he suggests.

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the belt squeezing on the holster ?
Or is the gun squeezing in the leather holster?
Or
Both ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
Call Ryan Grizzle and ask him what he suggests.

I'll probably do that when I get back in the States.

Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is the belt squeezing on the holster ?
Or is the gun squeezing in the leather holster?
Or
Both ?

Pretty sure it's the belt-holster interface. The belt is a Kore Essentials nylon.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I also use baby powder if I begin to sound like Barney Fife leaning back in Andy's desk chair talking on the phone to Juanita up to the diner.

Posts: 7380 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I also use baby powder if I begin to sound like Barney Fife leaning back in Andy's desk chair talking on the phone to Juanita up to the diner.

I did try some powder, and it helped very short term. I talked to Ryan via email. He recommends Rennesance Wax, but I haven't had a chace to pick some up. Has anyone had success using this? At this point, the holster in question isn't considered breaking in, I've worn it at least six months.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I did try some powder, and it helped very short term. I talked to Ryan via email. He recommends Rennesance Wax, but I haven't had a chace to pick some up. Has anyone had success using this? At this point, the holster in question isn't considered breaking in, I've worn it at least six months.

I have a GS2 from Ryan that has always been pretty creaky. I don't use it often-I tend to prefer my IWB holsters (Ryan's SDR model-I have them for the three guns I carry most). And I have some RenWax. After reading your last comment, I rubbed some was into the areas that it appeared the squeeks came from (around the loops). It seemed to do the trick! Ill wear it around a bit tomorrow to make sure, but I think it's really helped.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3526 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is most likely caused by rubbing with the belt as you mentioned earlier. It helps to use a double-layered or thicker leather belt that matches the exact width of the slots on the holster.

As far as treating the leather, give Ryan a call or drop him an e-mail. A good craftsman wants feedback from their customers and don't mind helping them, either. He posts his contact information on his website.

Posts: 37 | Location: eastern Kansas | Registered: April 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post