SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Travel through Maryland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travel through Maryland Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Our daughter now lives in Falls Church VA, near DC, and we live in St. Louis MO.

There are 3 ways we can drive there:

The drive time is very similar for all 3 options and note we are used to the southern option as she attended college in Roanoke VA and then lived in Richmond VA.

My spouse would like to take the northern route for "something different" but I am concerned about driving through Maryland. Not only do they have a 10-round magazine limit, but, apparently they scan license plates and can pull you over merely if your plate triggers you having a CCW.

Per our member, Gary Slider, website at www.handgunlaw.us:

Excerpt as to Maryland:

It is illegal to carry any loaded firearm in any vehicle in Maryland without a Maryland Carry Permit.

Notice: Maryland has a unit called, “Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you. Other States most likely have a similar system.

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

Answer: They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it.
There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person.
For more information please contact our Licensing Division. From the Maryland State Police FAQs. Q.

Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms: § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. (Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

Note: If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law. If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit. These restrictions on transportation do not apply to long guns.

I know this sounds dumb, but, should I be concerned about driving through MD?

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoid doing so, have family members in MD (I'm in VA). As I have been told, if I go to visit them, if I stop at their place first before going to a range, even though stored/transported properly, MD says "Gotcha!".

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I go through there very rarely and it's on I-81, so about 12 miles at the speed limit +0 to -2.

The firearm is carried per Gary Sliders recommendations and I don't stop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be a long term Md. resident. You have summed up all the facts correctly as far as I see. First I did not know about the plate reader setup so thank you as I travel thru Md. regularly for 12 Mi to get to a relative in Pa.. Second , What “Probable Cause” would they have to stop and search your vehicle based on plate reader information? I would not think this would be legal. Third , it is odd that legal owners have all of these concerns when the AG of Baltimore and others in the state refuse to prosecute under age gun carrying and using people when they are caught. Very seldom are teens and gang members charged with gun law violations on a State or Federal level when caught.

Posts: 59 | Registered: April 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have done a lot of motorcycle touring riding in the eastern third of the USA.
I live in NY, with extensive riding time in OH, VT, NH, ME, PA, VA, TN, KY and NC.
My resident permit and three non-resident permits cover all those states or they have constitutional carry. (ME with restrictions)

Me personally, I have avoided Maryland like the plague. I carry when I ride the Harley. If I can't carry, I don't go there.
I show my displeasure about not being able to carry in a particular location (like Maryland) by not spending any money within their state border.

When on a motorcycle trip we stay in nice hotels and eat in nice restaurants. Plus we do tourist stuff. States where I can't carry, I just do not visit.

You can add DC, MA, CT, RI and NJ to the list where I don't go.

In the past, I have read about people with guns getting stopped in Maryland by the cars with plate readers.

Best case, you're stopped on the side of the road for hours and all your stuff is strewn about while they look for guns, ammo, and other contraband. Don't forget about the condescending lecture.
They may even disassemble your vehicle while looking, you are responsible for putting your vehicle back together.

Worst case, you'll have nice shiny bracelets, and some time in a crummy hotel with bars on the windows. Don't forget about the extensive lawyer bills. You may (and should) win in court, but big $$$.

Probable cause is meaningless in Maryland. They do what they want.

Example:

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/...-carry-holders-guns/

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1492 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I use the "CCW" app on my Android phone. It's published by Workman Consulting LLC.
I find it to be as accurate as Gary Slider's website.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1492 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were born and raised in Falls Church, Va!! Maryland and DC both suck that’s all I can say growing up right next to them both….

Posts: 116 | Location: Locust Grove, Virginia | Registered: November 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see Maryland out my window just across the river but I never go there.

Posts: 580 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Our daughter now lives in Falls Church VA, near DC, and we live in St. Louis MO.

There are 3 ways we can drive there:

The drive time is very similar for all 3 options and note we are used to the southern option as she attended college in Roanoke VA and then lived in Richmond VA.

My spouse would like to take the northern route for "something different" but I am concerned about driving through Maryland. Not only do they have a 10-round magazine limit, but, apparently they scan license plates and can pull you over merely if your plate triggers you having a CCW.

Per our member, Gary Slider, website at www.handgunlaw.us:

Excerpt as to Maryland:

It is illegal to carry any loaded firearm in any vehicle in Maryland without a Maryland Carry Permit.

Notice: Maryland has a unit called, “Maryland Coordination and Analysis Center.” They have license plate reader cameras around the state that read license plates of vehicles. Some are connected to Criminal Background Check programs and Permit/License Holder lists from the different states that will supply them with that information. Do use caution when even driving through Maryland. They can know if you have a firearms permit/license without even stopping you. Other States most likely have a similar system.

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?

Answer: They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it.
There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person.
For more information please contact our Licensing Division. From the Maryland State Police FAQs. Q.

Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)

A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms: § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. (Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)

Note: If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law. If you interrupt your trip while in Maryland, you come under state law, and may not transport a handgun even unloaded and cased, except to a few designated destinations (range, residence, etc.) without a Maryland Permit. These restrictions on transportation do not apply to long guns.

I know this sounds dumb, but, should I be concerned about driving through MD?

Very. Those guys don't give a fuck about Federal transport laws, or whether you are following their rules to the dotted i's and crossed t's. Some of those guys are died in the woool Nazis, I would NOT go thru their territory with any handgun stored correctly. They will lock you in the pokey, try you in local court, and if you lose, you'll need more money to appeal the corruption to a higher court. Lovely experience I'm sure.

For long guns however I'd still do it, because I used to hunt Deer and Waterfowl in MD, with all of their current draconian handgun laws, and wasn't uncomfortable doing so, because MD is a hunting paradise of sorts, with hunters running all over the state 24x7 with long guns during waterfowl and deer seasons. I was stopped during a game check in MD for having three deer in the truck, shotguns were properly cased, no problems, except the game warden was suspicious about our story having three field dressed carcasses. We were 110% perfectly legit (as I always am hunting), and he still gave us shit. Imagine if that mother fucker found a handgun, his own game laws weren't good enough for him given the shit he gave us, imagine how not good enough his own handgun laws could have been in his mind while dealing with our legitimate game haul. But he didn't bat an eye with our properly cased long guns. I'm sure that guy was one of their more statistically significant state police officer jerks, that's all.

So long guns ? you're gtg. But for me, and handguns, no fucking way. You can't trust Nazis, it's that simple from my perspective. A Nazi is a Nazi, it's what they do.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8632 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The key thing to remember about Maryland Law is "It's the Law in Maryland". The entire goal is to limit firearms held for defense. Thugs get a free pass in Maryland.
The usual excuse for a traffic stop? You are on a Maryland Highway. It's not any private property, it's state property. And if you are IN your car, the car's contents could constitute a threat to the officer.
There is no intelligent life north of the Potomac river.

Remember the 1st rule. It's always loaded.

Posts: 108 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: November 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post