SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    1911 Government Carry Suggestions?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Government Carry Suggestions? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
https://www.highnoonholsters.com/

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Chiming back in on an older post here. Since my original post in this thread, my IWB holster “allegiance” for a 1911 has shifted, but only slightly.

My preference - in fact my favorite holster overall for a 1911 - is the single-loop Summer Special (vs. the dual-loop SS2) from the likes of the revived Bruce Nelson Combat Leather line and from Milt Sparks. Shown here with a 1911 Government Model and a Milt Sparks IPD IWB double mag pouch.

If going OWB, I like the Sparks 55BN holster and their S4C magazine pouches. I have a somewhat old-school Roadrunner holster (high-ride OWB with a strong forward cant) on-order with them now, due to arrive within the next 8 weeks or so.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I primarily carried 1911's when I was in the states.

Commander length but I found barrel didn't matter AS much as grip. I found bobtail guns WAY wasier to conceal believe it or not, that little printing was what always got me.

I used VMII for IWB and Axiom for OWB. I found anything remotely high ride sucked with the weight of the gun.

I'd probably go Criterion when I get back to the US this time.

I found a thin 1911 easier to conceal on a smaller framed body (I am 5'10" 170'ish) than a G19.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use one of these when I carry my 1911, same holster for my glock...

https://www.amazon.com/Conceal...%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-55

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Way back I used to CCW a government 1911. Then I moved to a Commander and now these days it is a CCO.

But to the point of this thread I originally preferred a IWB Versa Max 2 but then adopted a Simply Rugged's 'Cuda Roy Baker style pancake OWB as my go to.

I think as we get older IWB becomes less attractive as a carry method. Much more comfortable is the pancake 'Cuda I use with my CCO these days. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16189 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post