SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Looking for a specific 3" J-Frame Holster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a specific 3" J-Frame Holster Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
A number of years back I traded into this IWB J-Frame holster from a member here. It has become my favorite J-Frame holster...comfortable, easy on/off, conceals impeccably, and holds the gun securely. From what I understand, Jackass Holster Co was bought out by Galco at some point along the line, and they no longer exist.

The one I have is for a 2" J-Frame, and I'd love to find another one, or something similar, for a 3" J-Frame. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, while not identical, the Barranti Summer Classic looks very similar. I checked their site and 3-inch J-frames are included on the list for this holster.

https://barrantileather.com/sh...ducts/summer-classic

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks! That does look very similar. Maybe a little more rigid and stiff, but a similar design. The price is kinda painful, but I may have to suck it up since 3" J-frame holsters aren't exactly common, and it definitely looks like a quality piece of leather.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Troll EBay. I have found some killer deals on vintage leather lately.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Troll EBay. I have found some killer deals on vintage leather lately.

Not a bad idea...I've had some success doing that in the past. I looked a few weeks ago and didn't find much. Actually bought a new production holster, but I ended up returning it because although it was advertised as fitting a 1.5" belt, the loops didn't fit around my 1.5" Beltman. It was also some kind of cheap bonded leather...not a quality piece. Thankfully the return process was very painless. I'll keep watching and see what turns up.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
To YooperSig’s point, I think these folks advertise on eBay but they also have a direct site you can browse and buy from - quite an eclectic and ever-changing mix of gear:

https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Thanks! That does look very similar. Maybe a little more rigid and stiff, but a similar design. The price is kinda painful, but I may have to suck it up since 3" J-frame holsters aren't exactly common, and it definitely looks like a quality piece of leather.

While I’ve not tried the Summer Classic for a J-frame, their K- and N-frame-sized variants are an absolute IWB winner for me.

posted Hide Post
Yep, Vintage Gun leather is one of my EBay sources. You might also try out the Ebay store called HolsterMonster. I have a couple of their holsters and they are very good. Euro made, maybe? Priced right too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
You might also try out the Ebay store called HolsterMonster.

That was actually where I got the holster that had loops that didn't fit my belt. I will say thier return process was about as easy as Amazon, so that was cool.

I ended up ordering a Don Hume 715 direct from the manufacturer. They had them on sale for $38, and I've had good luck with them in the past. It came the tohr day, and overall I'm pelased. The reinfrocement around the mouth could be more robust, and I wish it had a sweat shield, but there are minor quibbles, and hard to hold against it for the price. The loops fit my belt well, it carries comfortably, and holds the gun securely. It fits my 60, my 63, and 31, so I'm happy.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^^ Looks good - congrats!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been putting it through the paces the last few days, carrying the model 60 while working on the house, fishing, and taking a few long walks. Like the Jackass holster, it's not awesome at keeping sweat off the gun, but its comfortable and holds the gun securely. No problems sitting or standing, and the gun stays tight to the body. It'll hold my 2" snubbies if I need it to, too. I'm liking it.