SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Gunslinger's Gait
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunslinger's Gait Login/Join 
posted
Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.
Do any of you walk without movement of one arm? If so,is it the side where you carry, and if this be so, how long have you carried and what is your age?
Subject in question is 75 and has carried for about 20 years.

Posts: 41 | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm a little older than the subject in question, have carried for over 40 years and due to my Army time, I move both arms.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I move both arms, but I admit I like hearing the gentle “creak” of my gunleather as I move about the sheeple, keeping my steely-eyed gaze scanning for threats.

…okay, my apologies, I couldn’t resist a little silliness there. I bet when I first started carrying in my 20s, I may well have kept my “gunside” arm stationary for no rational reason, more just the “new-ness” of carrying, thinking I needed to help conceal the gun and/or keep that hand at the ready.

I’ve been carrying for quite a while now and feel that it’s become just a more normal thing for me, with just normal body motion along the way, if that makes sense.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normal arm swing when walking for me. Been carrying for 50 years, including 25+ with a duty gunbelt.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Since slimming down to a CM9 from a G26, I forget I'm carrying when I don't think of it. Hopefully I'll remember if the time ever comes.

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
76 YO here, carried for a time in the Army, and carried consistently for about the last 20 years. Normal gait and seldom think about carrying.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I worked for a Armored transport Co. for almost 30 years. I carried my handgun in a duty holster. always with retention devices off.
I would, if possible, carry valuables in a bag with my left arm. my right arm was by my side with my hand hovering the pistol grip, but not touching the gun.
My main concern was always ambush so that is what I did my best to guard against.
Now that I'm retired,I still carry my right arm and hand in the same position when ever I'm walking about. Muscle memory along with constantly scanning everyone and everything and making eye contact with everybody are all habits I will probably take to my grave.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Abnormalities such as this behavioral quirk scream to anyone paying attention, good guys or bad guys, this individual may be armed in some manner and it's probably on the side with no arm movement.

Drawing attention to yourself doesn't seem like a good strategy when going about in public, particularly if you're carrying concealed, dramatically reducing the chances of someone knowing you're armed and attempts to grab a weapon people aren't aware exists.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I walk around with my hand hovering over my pocket, ready to dart in and grab my roscoe.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Abnormalities such as this behavioral quirk scream to anyone paying attention, good guys or bad guys, this individual may be armed in some manner and it's probably on the side with no arm movement.

Drawing attention to yourself doesn't seem like a good strategy when going about in public, particularly if you're carrying concealed, dramatically reducing the chances of someone knowing you're armed and attempts to grab a weapon people aren't aware exists.

Yeah, but almost no one would ever notice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Yeah, but almost no one would ever notice.

Correct, but people who make a living reading people, including but not limited to criminals, law enforcement, and select others who make it a point to be attentive will all pick up on this abnormality rather quickly.

Very refreshing to see 'Roscoe' still in use. I just go with 'heater' mostly.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct, but people who make a living reading people, including but not limited to criminals, law enforcement, and select others who make it a point to be attentive will all pick up on this abnormality rather quickly.

I've seen it a few times over the years and know what it means due to my training.

More commonly, I see people reaching over to their weapon and touching it, probably to reassure themselves it's there and covered. I had to break myself of doing that years ago.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often see "The Hike". People getting out of their cars and the first thing they do is grab their belts and yank up their pants. Big indicator that something heavy is dragging down their pants. Big Grin
Cops are notorious for this!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I often see "The Hike". People getting out of their cars and the first thing they do is grab their belts and yank up their pants. Big indicator that something heavy is dragging down their pants. Big Grin
Cops are notorious for this!

I've incorporated that into checking my fly when I get out. It's come in handy from time to time. Red Face

Posts: 7313 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gat

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Gat

My rod and my staff, they comfort me...but mostly my rod.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Wearing suspenders cured the pants hitch up problem.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The risk of someone grabbing for a gun in an openly displayed holster is much less than the internet makes of it. An officer on the street who's job is to constantly confront out of control citizens sees it but the average guy walking across a Walmart parking lot, not so much. Mostly peaceful liberals attempt it working as pro bono enforcement and for their part they live to tell about their mistake.

It's the carry community who more often looks for tells in body language, or the few aggressors who know enough to be aware. That goes to being in public places where you can see a lot of potential carriers, for most of us it's shopping. Aside from that - we don't hang around drug store parking lots after 11PM, or frequent streets with bars at 2AM. We limit our overall behavior to avoid high risk activities defined by place and time. And it's very difficult to be on yellow or red alert all day long. It's physically consuming - which is why LEO's have reduced lifespans. Most adrenaline junkies don't make it to 65.

Most of us have to get pretty aware to even bother looking in the course of a normal life. "Driving in downtown Houston interstate traffic" aware - which I why I avoid it - and so do most of us.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Since I normally don't see myself when I'm walking I have no idea if I'm swinging my arms enough to 'disguise' the fact that I'm packing. I pocket carry about 90% of the time, so the urge to guard one side of my body may subconsciously be lower than if I belt carried most of the time.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My arm movements while walking are normal unless I'm in or going through a crowd. In that situation, my right elbow rests against the butt of my pistol until I'm in clear space. Thirty-three years in law enforcement make some habits permanent.

Posts: 4489 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post