SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Thoughts On or Experieces With Hogue "Soft OverMolded Rubber" Grips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts On or Experieces With Hogue "Soft OverMolded Rubber" Grips? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
So I've got this new-to-me Colt Defender in .45 ACP. It's got a nice set of wood grips on it. Looks sharp. But, functionally, maybe not so great. .45 ACP in a 22½ oz pistol with a 3" barrel equals pretty stout recoil. It's got no front strap checkering and, what with my big hands, the shoe of the magazines "bites" my little finger.

So I was considering trying a set of Hogue Soft OverMolded Rubber grips. They ain't pretty, but "pretty" doesn't put rounds on target.

My main concerns are:

1. They'll be significantly bulkier than the wood grips that are on the pistol at the moment, increasing printing and
  2. Light cover garments may tend to cling to the rubber.

For that 2nd point: In the summertime I can wear a UA tee, throw a light button-down sport shirt over the top and get great comfort and concealment. Heck, yesterday, quickly running out to pick up dinner, I just un-tucked the tee I was wearing and let the top of my Kydex IWB holster ride against bare skin. You'd have never known my PPS M2 was there.

So, have any of y'all used these grips on a small concealed handgun, IWB or OWB? What have you to report?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My main concerns are:

1. They'll be significantly bulkier than the wood grips that are on the pistol at the moment, increasing printing and

Yes, and yes.

Since it's a 1911, what you might try before doing an overmolded grip is remove the grip panels and cut a piece or two of skateboard tape or 3M stair tread tape to fit on the front strap. When you put the grip panels back on, they should cover the ends of the tape strips and help keep them in place. If that's not grippy enough, you can then still add the overmolded grip and it will stay in place better.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
My main concerns are:

Yes, and yes.

Since it's a 1911, what you might try before doing an overmolded grip is remove the grip panels and cut a piece or two of skateboard tape or 3M stair tread tape to fit on the front strap.

Hmmm... Just as I suspected. I could try this: Pearce Grips PG-OM1 Rubber Finger Groove Insert for Compact 1911?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Probably worth a try. Pearce makes good stuff, too.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pachmayr Signature Officer Model grip. Much thinner than the Hogues and offer a low profile but effective front strap cover.
They are old school but still excellent. All my 1911s that do not have a checkered front strap wear them.
I bought a used 220 that had a set of the Hogues on it. Way too fat.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I considered those Pachmayr Signature grips, but one reviewer complained the texture on the front strap didn't wear well and another claimed they were about 1/16" short on the Defender.

If I don't like the Pearce thing, I'll probably try those, next, though.

posted Hide Post
Agree. There may be a length difference between Officer and Defender frames. And I often have to stretch them a bit to get them to fit initially.
At least one of my Signature grips is 20 years old and still fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
At least one of my Signature grips is 20 years old and still fine.

That's good to know. Thanks!

Banned
posted Hide Post
I bought a Defender years ago and the Hogue's you have the link to were the stock grips and it was NIB.
I liked the grips, the gun wasn't reliable

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post