SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    P228 leather holster question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 leather holster question Login/Join 
posted
My edc is a G-19 in kydex, I've never felt fancy or kinky enough to ever own a leather holster or leather anything.

But now, I actually own a leather gun belt, thanks Armor Belts, and I think this P-228 belongs in a leather holster. Cowhide or horsehide? Lined or unlined?

I'm thinking something along the lines of R. Grizzle GS2 or High Noon Snapper.

Anything else I should know?

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TT Gun leather iwb mikes special.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but my P-228 is too pretty to be in a IWB. This is my BBQ gun.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sooma:
Thanks, but my P-228 is too pretty to be in a IWB. This is my BBQ gun.

Check out TT's OWB holsters. They are my default holster for each new gun I get.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
TT Gunleather makes some very nice stuff. I've got several, including some with exotic hides. Highly reccomended. I've got a snap on pancake hoster for my 228 with Ostrich trim that is fantastic.

Ryan Grizzle posts here and is an absolutely top shelf holster maker. I have several of his rigs as well. His wait time has crept up there, but he still offers an expedite service for a very reasonable fee for his basic designs.

Top Gun Supply carries a lot of Ritchie Leather in stock. They got their start working for the late Lou Alessi and sell really nice versions of his designs.

Lobo Gun Leather isn't as pretty as the others, but they wear like iron. My duty holster in plainclothes is from Lobo.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
For me, my P228 rides in a Kramer Leather horsehide belt scabbard.

It will last past my lifetime and the gun's.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
For an OTC High Quality Leather holster---I can't speak highly enough of The Galco Fletch or any of the Galco Holster----Next best thing to custom and often better than some of those. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-F...alco+Holster&sr=8-25

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 125 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can y'all tell me if a leather holster should be lined or unlined? Is horsehide better than cowhide?

If I have to do a quadruple somersault with a ninja back flip to get the last bacon wrapped jalapeno popper, will it stay holstered, or should I get one with a retention strap like rwilli's recommended Galco?

This is a bbq gun, but I've been to some rowdy bbqs.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
One more to check out: Wright Leather Works. Beautiful, lined and unlined.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Horsehide or cowhide is personal preference. I have both. Both are excellent materials when used correctly. Horse doesn’t take crisp molding or dye as well. It’s generally a bit stiffer and has a reputation for being better at resisting perspiration. Cowhide can be plenty stiff and generally looks better dyed. I really like the look of natural horse, so for me it’s a wash.

I’m okay with smooth linings, but avoid anything like suede. It catches dirt and grit and will increase wear on a finish.

Thumb breaks aren’t needed in properly fitted holsters. I can hold my Smith and Wesson Model 28 RGrizzle holster inverted and the gun will stay put. The only holsters I have with retention straps are my duty rigs, and that’s a matter of policy.

I’m not personally a fan of Galco. I’ve owned a ton of them over the years, and still own a few. They are soft. That lets them break in quick, but their lifespan is fairly short as they tend to stretch out and loosen up after a couple of years of use. They used to be much better, but quality has slipped in the last 20 years that I’ve been carrying a weapon for work. Cost has gone up. For what they charge you can get a nicer custom rig from several makers, some of whom have pretty short wait lists. Don Hume was my choice for off the rack leather for years, but they aren’t as available as they once were. Now I tend to go Kydex for off the rack until I can get something made. But that’s me though. I’ve got a Galco Fletch around here somewhere that I never use any more. You’re welcome to it if I can find it and you’d like.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at High Noon Holsters. I carried my 228 in one of their pancake holsters and it's a great holster. Plus, I think they have a sale going on right now.

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
copuap-Thanks for that info, exactly what I needed to know. Also, thanks for the offer of the Galco, but the P-228 is safely snuggled in a kydex holster right now.

Bulldog7972-High Noon and RGrizzle are the two I'm looking at, thanks for the suggestion.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You will NOT be disappointed with the R.Grizzle GS2....Definitely worth the wait! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8788 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check Nightengale Holsters. Guy does great work.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
For those who wear a jacket Mitch Rosen's shoulder holster and the 228 are a great match. Siting, in a car or otherwise, a ver accessible combo.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nightengale does look nice, thanks for the suggestion.

Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for TT Gunleather, excellent workmanship.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galco satisfies the mass-market, price sensitive crowd.

I've got a Kramer #2 in horsehide for my P225 for 15+ years now, and still going strong. No fading, no collapse, stays open and secure without any issues. No hesitation in recommending them, best to get an order placed as their wait-times continues to increase.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the Kramer suggestion, never heard of them.
Went with R.Grizzle, mostly because he is a forum guy and I enjoy helping members as much as I can.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
cowhide/horsehide. I use cowhide. Horsehide wears longer but is usually ymore expensive. Lined? no need.

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post