SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Looking for Hammer fired "EDC"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Hammer fired "EDC" Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My favorite nowadays is my P228 SAS non rail.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Although the bulk of suggestions have been 9MM, you didn’t mention caliber or capacity.
Pulling one of my P220s out the safe and heading to the range felt like spending time with an old friend.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Does it have to be a Sig? What's your budget?

Id rather it be a Sig. $1500, give or take

$1500 can get you a high end EDC gun w/ money leftover for at least half a case of 9mm ammo. You could get a P226 Legion in DA/SA or SAO; they are very nice, but...

If you like the Beretta 92 platform, you can get a 92G LTT in full, compact, or Centurion size. It has a better trigger & barrel than the Legion and overall is more upgraded than the Legion. Costs the same or less too.

If you care for something P229/G19 size, I concur w/ pulicords that a CZ upgraded by Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom is the way to go. There are several models w/ several options whether you like: steel or aluminum alloy frame, decocker or safety, DA/SA or SAO, rail or no rail. The P-01 and PCR are the most popular models. Full size CZ 75/SP-01 are also nice, but they are significantly larger & heavier than a P226.

Some members mentioned the Beretta PX4. If you go that route, there's an LTT version of that too. If you like rotating barrel pistols, Grand Power is worth taking a look at.

Phoenix AG Fusion is right around your $1500 price point.
https://phx.swiss/index.php?id=117

That's probably what I'd get if I had the money to burn. I do have a Sphinx SDP, which is pretty close, pretty much the predecessor to the Fusion.

HK P30 in standard or longslide w/ Grayguns trigger upgrade is also worth considering.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Phoenix AG Fusion is right around your $1500 price point.
https://phx.swiss/index.php?id=117

That's probably what I'd get if I had the money to burn. I do have a Sphinx SDP, which is pretty close, pretty much the predecessor to the Fusion.

HK P30 in standard or longslide w/ Grayguns trigger upgrade is also worth considering.

I own a Sphinx SDP Subcompact Alpha and though the workmanship is noteworthy, their customer service here in the USA (through Kriss) absolutely sucked!!! I found it impossible to obtain an "easily replaceable" front sight blade that would allow me to shoot POA/POI. Finally learning that 10-8 performance rear sight (designed for a 1911 .45 ACP) shifted impact to where it needed to be. Without that expedient, other Sphinx users and I were out of luck. I'd be very wary about dealing with any Swiss firearms company associated with Sphinx.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If it has to be a SIG, I'd look at the 2022.
Looking at other quality brands, a H&K P2000 would be my other choice.

This site does a good job showing them and others.

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...uer-sp2022-full-size

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The choices are nearly endless,

Case in point, most of my carry guns are hammer-fired.

Ted Yost Browning hi-power 9mm
Fletcher custom hi-power 40/357 sig
P226 SAO 9mm
P226 9mm
P226 40sw,
P225 9mm
Jericho 941F 9mm
Ruger P85mkII
Bereta 92C
HK USP 9,40,45
DW Guardian 9mm
DW Vbob 45,
BNT MKII 9mm
I am sure there are many more that I have forgotten about, but they are mostly range toys. The ones above are guns I have holsters for and practice with.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'd look at the CZ Rami, but it's been discontinued. I'm sure you can still find them though. Small, all metal, hammer fired, DA, double stack.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I grabbed a PX4CC. Haven’t shot it yet. I’ll try to get to it tonight. It feels better in hand than my P229 or P228.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
For a Sig I would go with a P229. If you are looking beyond Sig, I highly recommend the Beretta Px4 Compact or the H&K P30sk. Both of them are in my EDC rotation. I use a RGrizzle City Slicker 2 for both of them.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
A Sig 226 or 229 would be a great choice.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
While I love my Sig P226’s and P229’s, I am not sure I would want their weight for EDC.

My current carry guns are P365 or P320, when I decided I wanted a hammer fired carry gun, I picked up an Hk P30SK for that role and would highly recommend it.

Liked it so much I ended up with a P30L and Hk45 as well.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'd look at the CZ Rami, but it's been discontinued. I'm sure you can still find them though. Small, all metal, hammer fired, DA, double stack.

They also made a polymer framed version as well. Nice guns, just a little "blocky" for me.

Speaking of blocky guns, the Beretta PX4's are nice hammer DA/SA that would be another option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaybirdaccountant,

Posts: 932 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am surprised not to see the P239 listed here.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with a 229.

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Warhorse said, I’d also add the 239 and 225A1 pistols here. Traded my 239, and I’ve been kicking myself since. But the little 225A1 is a favorite carry gun for my 12 hour+ shifts.

Next time I see either a 239 or another 225A1, I’ll be adding them as spares.

Posts: 86 | Registered: August 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
The PX4 would be a very good choice. If your not set on a Sig, I would also recommend the Beretta 92 compact.

Another vote for Beretta 92 compact in G model (de-cocker only, no safety).

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
P239 was my first thought.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your actual requirement? by your initial post, you specify hammer fired during the winter and indicated interest in the P226.

Do you have preference on caliber? New 9mm pistols seem to be more available then .40 and .357 SIG lately.

How much on-board ammo do you need?

Do you want new or is used/discontinued acceptable? The 226, 229 and 2022 are in current production. The excellent 228 and 239 are good, but no longer being produced.

What is your everyday activity? The weight of your pistol could become important depending on your activity level.

I've EDCed a SIG P229 and 239 over the years. i also own a 228 and 226. I like the 229 for where I can wear an OWB and don't have to worry too much about printing. Some LE organizations used the 229 as a service pistol. The 9mm 229 is approximately 2ozs lighter and .3 inches shorter than a 9mm 226 on the SIG website. The 239 is signigantly smaller and easier to hide and more comfortable in a IWB holster. It did give up serval rounds with it's single stack mag.

To answer your other question, the P226 trigger is good, but it varies based on variant. The older stock 226 trggers (like mine) was smooth and not too heavy, but it had a longer reset then the Beretta 92. But, with an SRT kit, the reset is shortened dramatically. The legion series and 226s with the Grayguns or Sig Armorer components have a much lighter, smoother and shorter reset. There is also a short trigger (not a short reset trigger kit) that is in some pistols that also impact trigger feel.

Posts: 4538 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I carried a pistol for 30 years for work.I started with a S&W 38spl. revolver in my holster for about 5 years of that. When we were allowed to go to a semi auto SA/DA I ordered a sight unseen Sig P220ST, 45 auto. I then had Ernest Langdon do his magic to it. I carried it along with 5 magazines for 25 years.

When CCW was allowed in IL. I went with a CZ Shadow in 9mm, I still carry this. I carried a 45 Kahr CM and a S&W Shield 9mm for awhile but came back to the CZ, a full size DA/SA 9mm is all I carry now.
I'm a firm believer in dressing to the gun and carrying the gun I shoot the best.
The CZ DA/SA is my choice.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK USP 9mm is a better choice. Noticeably lighter than my 226, just as accurate and reliable.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post