SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Spare Mag destroying t-shirt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare Mag destroying t-shirt Login/Join 
posted
So I’m carrying my P365XL IWB left side “appendix” and a spare 15 round mag OWB on right side under my regular shirt. Noticed the other day the texture (I think) of the spare mag baseplate is eating up my expensive t-shirts. I thought about a pocket carry mag pouch but my pockets are pretty full. Any ideas out there? My Glock mags didn’t do this because I guess they were smoother.

You can get a long way with a smile. You can get a lot further with a smile and a gun. (Al Capone)

Posts: 234 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My gun itself is doing that to my T-shirts so I have to buy around a dozen new ones each year.

Part of the price of carrying I guess.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Part of the price of carrying I guess.

Yep. Guns chew up the strong hand side of your shirt. Mags (and cuffs) chew up the off hand side of your shirt.

Either one will also chew up your car upholstery, over a long enough time.

Glocks do it too.

It's just part of it. Budget for replacement clothing if you're going to be carrying regularly.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I agree that this sort of thing can just come with the territory.

Have you considered a horizontal magazine carrier? There are options, but one I have experience with is from Magholder. Link below - they make a carrier for the 365. I’ve used them successfully for 1911 and Glock magazines.

https://magholder.com/products...riant=36796695773347

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the remarks but I’m not a rookie at this. I’ve been carrying as a police officer since about 1982,and I’ve been an instructor since 1989. I am a rookie with the Sig. Ive only carried for the past year IWB and in the last month with the P365XL. Before that it was with a Glock 43x then the MOS version. And they never destroyed my shirt. It is the texture of the 15 round spare mag baseplate. I’m going to sand it down a little and if that doesn’t work I’ll get a horizontal mag carrier.

The XL is an incredible pistol and I must admit it out shoots my beloved Glocks. I even sold my 43xMOS and the 48 and got the XL and the regular version. I swapped the slides out to make an X model. To me it’s the perfect carry rig.

You can get a long way with a smile. You can get a lot further with a smile and a gun. (Al Capone)

Posts: 234 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I carry a small pistol right side IWB clipped on the belt under an untucked button-down shirt and have no wear issues there.

But, I drive a lot and the butt of the gun pokes and puts an indent into the seat back foam. When I think of it I push the butt forward so it is way forward canted so as not to dig into the seat back.

With a larger gun you can't push it/cant it forward far enough.

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Neo Mag website, excellent product.

Posts: 2762 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Skippy:
I appreciate the remarks but I’m not a rookie at this. I’ve been carrying as a police officer since about 1982,and I’ve been an instructor since 1989. I am a rookie with the Sig. Ive only carried for the past year IWB and in the last month with the P365XL. Before that it was with a Glock 43x then the MOS version. And they never destroyed my shirt. It is the texture of the 15 round spare mag baseplate. I’m going to sand it down a little and if that doesn’t work I’ll get a horizontal mag carrier.

The XL is an incredible pistol and I must admit it out shoots my beloved Glocks. I even sold my 43xMOS and the 48 and got the XL and the regular version. I swapped the slides out to make an X model. To me it’s the perfect carry rig.

Sand/Dremel off the texture, use a soldering iron to lightly texture and you should be GTG.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ryan Grizzle makes great quality magazine carriers with a shield to protect your T-shirts from damage.

I have found the Kirkland Signature T-shirts from Costco to be outstanding quality at some of the lowest prices that you can find. My only complaint is that they do not come in TALL sizes; the body length is ample, but the sleeves are a bit short for my extra-long arms. Will not be a problem for those who are proportioned like the majority of the population.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Ryan Grizzle makes great quality magazine carriers with a shield to protect your T-shirts from damage.

That won't protect the t-shirt from damage. Those "sweat guards" are designed to protect your skin from the inside edge/corner of the magazine, as well as protect the magazine from direct contact with your sweaty skin. The damage to the exterior cover garment is done by the outside edge/corner of the magazine, which has no protective shield.

The only way such a guard would protect your t-shirt is if you were openly carrying the magazine with the shirt tucked in behind it.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
That won't protect the t-shirt from damage . . . The only way such a guard would protect your t-shirt is . . . with the shirt tucked in behind it.
Yes sir, agreed. However, the way that I read the Original Post is that Captain Skippy is wearing the T-Shirt tucked in. Layered from the body outward, the situation would be T-Shirt, magazine carrier, and on the outside, his "regular shirt." His complaint is wear and tear on the T-shirt, which would be protected by the shield.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30521 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I have found a solution that is working. First I did some serious sanding to the side of the baseplate facing my skin. It looks crappy but is substantially smoother. I “work” at a gun shop and we sell custom holsters made by a local guy. He made me up a mag carrier with a sweat guard and the combination of the sanding and the guard is working. I am still so impressed with the 365 series.

posted Hide Post
I use this for almost all of my CCW guns;

https://safariland.com/product...magazine-pouch-10961

Keeps the mag from tearing up my clothes, and also prints way less under a T-shirt when I wear it just to the left of my belt buckle.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I read that you have found a solution, but if you decide to consider other options, I've used a Gerber or other nylon knife-type sheath through the years as a great mag holder, hidden in plain sight. The Velcro flap obviously protects clothing.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11441 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ What Chongo said. Only problem with the covered pouches is the ones that fit Glock mags can be pretty bulky.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’d forgotten about a nylon, flapped knife sheath - I’ve used one of those as well at various times. As noted, it provides for a nice hidden in plain sight option.

The maker of the Magholder product is now a Forum member and has started a thread in The Lounge:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2660099584

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I use one of these quite frequently.

https://1791gunleather.com/product/snagmag/

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Delta-3:
I use one of these quite frequently.

https://1791gunleather.com/product/snagmag/

How well do these work in the back pocket?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Never tried it in a back pocket. Always carried in my left front pocket.
I suppose it could work just fine as long as the "hook" caught on the pocket as you draw the mag. Maybe an opposite draw side i.e. a left handed one for the left rear pocket. That way the "hook" would catch on the left pocket seam as you draw it with the left hand.
I'll fiddle around with mine & see how it goes.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Skippy:
So I’m carrying my P365XL IWB left side “appendix” and a spare 15 round mag OWB on right side under my regular shirt. Noticed the other day the texture (I think) of the spare mag baseplate is eating up my expensive t-shirts. I thought about a pocket carry mag pouch but my pockets are pretty full. Any ideas out there? My Glock mags didn’t do this because I guess they were smoother.

I have always preferred keeping as much as possible out of my pocket! Even with my wallet itself I have done as much as I can to keep it as small as possible. The horizontal orientation keeps it pretty much out of the way until you need it most.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post