SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I used to fall into the mandatory training camp, but seeing how watered down a lot of it is, I really have come to appreciate the constitutional carry states. If you can possess it, you can pack it.

CCW course requirements for classes I've taken, ranked by state (1=best):
1) Idaho Enhanced
2) California
3) Idaho/California Hunters Education
4) Florida
5) Washington (none, just pay money)

I think that there should be basic CCW and enhanced CCW, similar to the benefits that come with being LEO. If the CCW holder can meet police proficiency regs, they should be able to carry to more places other than just home and shopping. Constitutional carry for people that meet the background checks, enhanced for folks that train/qualify.

Posts: 25 | Registered: September 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I will admit to not reading all the replies. Now training to get your permit is NOT a bad idea however initially the passing of the test in most tests is so easy it hardly matters. As we all know shooting is a perishable skill so if you just manage to pass the test then never practice again what difference did having to pass a test make.

I was amused by comparisons to LEO training. Now I'm sure there are very well trained LEO's however I believe in NYC the hit rate is under 20%. Here in SC they are allocated 50 rounds a month IF THEY WANT to practice. Except for the special squads no regular LEOs ever showed up at competitions like USPSA or IDPA.

I would like to think that those of us who carry take the responsibility to practice and become proficient and confident. However, this probably not true. The same number of people who practice on a regular basis unfortunately are probably equaled by those who buy a gun, take the class, shoot a box of ammo, and then never see the range again thinking they are ready for any emergency. We can just hope we are not near then when they open fire.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Why should you need training to exercise a constitutional right?

By that logic, you should take a class to speak.

Now, like public speak takes time to get good at, being a competent CCW / shooter also takes time. People may choose to work on those skills or not.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, like public speak takes time to get good at

I speak public real good too! Joe Biden helping me big time also.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In exchange for a national carry permit, one that would legally allow the bearer to carry in any state [yes, CA, NY, NJ, etc.] I would go for a national training standard. A serious one that would require study, training and the possibility of failure is real. Don't want one? No problem, don't get one and live by your home state's rules.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Now, like public speak takes time to get good at

I speak public real good too! Joe Biden helping me big time also.

Why use many words few words do. One day, they see.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, unequivocally no.

What natural right should ever require a test to be exercised? That negates a natural right.

If you didn’t pass cert, would you accept not carrying? What if you felt the cert was unreasonable? Who defines the cert? On what basis? Is there a looser cert for leo than for public? Exemptions from cert? Very real questions living in a state that is constantly seeking ways to constrain natural rights.

Your rights. You buy. You bear. You use. You’re responsible. Your rights. Period.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post