SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement? Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted
The CCW thread in What's Your Deal got me going; not everyone must demonstrate firearms proficiency to obtain a CHL. Here in Oregon there is no range training or any proficiency requirement; take a class for a couple three hours, get your certificate and present same with your CHL application. Oregon is a Shall Issue state.

I am conflicted. Knowing many who have no formalized weapons handling training other than dumping a box or three of ammo in the hills every other month in the summer and hold a CHL is a bit disconcerting to me. I understand it's on them them get the training they need however a part of me feels it should be a required component of any CHL issue. And a part of me believes this would be a further abridgement of my 2A rights.

We're all fully aware weapons skills are highly perishable and that's why WE train regularly; I know full well this is not the case for the vast majority of the people I encounter, and if training was a requirement it's very doubtful it would be maintained after issue. And maybe it's none of my business, the vast majority of firearms owners probably have no training whatsoever...just spitballing.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they (chl) should shoot the same standard as basic leo.

Make it count

Posts: 1411 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Demonstrate safe gun handling and a qualifying course involving shooting at three, five and fifteen yards. Should take less time than a driving test. A gun can be as dangerous as a car. LOL

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to fall into the mandatory training camp, but seeing how watered down a lot of it is, I really have come to appreciate the constitutional carry states. If you can possess it, you can pack it.

Posts: 5141 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yes. Demonstrate safe gun handling and a qualifying course involving shooting at three, five and fifteen yards. Should take less time than a driving test. A gun can be as dangerous as a car. LOL

Except one does not have a Constitutional right to a car.

I'm in the Constitutional Carry camp.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If you are of the mind that there should be any requirements (I prefer Constitutional Carry) then NO there should not be any training required but proficiency YES.
IF you have to have a license - must know the laws and be able to shoot.
Ultimately you have to be responsible for your actions.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
I think they (chl) should shoot the same standard as basic leo.

Isn't that like only 50-100 rounds a year?

To answer OP. No, while I don't like to say that, I realize that, that is a major infringement of Rights. First it's a right, do you have a classroom continuing education requirement to practice your religion or right to assemble? Summer courses on speech? No matter your skill level, you have a RTKBA period. Second it creates two classes, those that can afford to pay for their rights, and those that can't.

A rigorous 20 hour training course taught by ex military/security/police is expensive, annual qualifying even more so. Who would this hurt worst? A young father in the inner city with no choice but to live there, a grandma living on SS in a house in a neighborhood that has deteriorated over the years but can't move.

There are idiots on the road that passed a basic proficiency test. Do you trust your fellow drivers, always? A government administered testing agency would do nothing, but check boxes and be cover at a ridiculously expensive cost.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20739 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
If you can possess it, you can pack it.

This.
Constitutional carry all the way. I have a CCW permit but it should never be required.
Everyone is responsible for what they do. A permit doesn’t change that.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Yes and twice on Sunday.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm both a huge advocate of "Constitutional Carry" and training!

It shouldn't be required, but every/any responsible gun owner should get it.

I'm way more worried about getting hit by the criminal trying to kill me and my family then an un-trained CCW holder trying to protect themselves even if incompetently so.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

This times 1000.

I firmly believe everyone should get training far beyond any requirements I’ve see for any state’s CCW/CHL/LTC. I also believe that there should be no training / qualification requirement, at least for a basic permit/license.

If a state wants to go with the enhanced permit model like Idaho and some other states where that enhanced permit/license requires some training and allows carrying in additional places, okay. (Though I prefer the “You’re a big boy/girl, act like it because you will be held responsible for your actions.” model.)

Posts: 6864 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement?

No.

And I'm not conflicted in the least with that answer

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would much rather see automobile operators receive additional/remedial training ! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
To answer OP. No, while I don't like to say that, I realize that, that is a major infringement of Rights. First it's a right, do you have a classroom continuing education requirement to practice your religion or right to assemble? Summer courses on speech? No matter your skill level, you have a RTKBA period. Second it creates two classes, those that can afford to pay for their rights, and those that can't.

A rigorous 20 hour training course taught by ex military/security/police is expensive, annual qualifying even more so. Who would this hurt worst? A young father in the inner city with no choice but to live there, a grandma living on SS in a house in a neighborhood that has deteriorated over the years but can't move.

There are idiots on the road that passed a basic proficiency test. Do you trust your fellow drivers, always? A government administered testing agency would do nothing, but check boxes and be cover at a ridiculously expensive cost.

My prevailing sentiment to a tee. Thanks everyone!

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. My God-given right to protect myself and loved ones shall not be infringed. I practice because I want to & should, but should never have to. I have more concern of being harmed by a criminal than any untrained fellow CCL holder.

Posts: 1699 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No.
quote:
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Q

Posts: 26179 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel proficiency is important. We have licenses for physicians, psychologists, dentists, engineers, pilots, barbers and electricians. Why not for those who carry firearms? I do not feel that demonstrating proficiency diminishes the rights of the second amendment. Or if you prefer just eliminate ALL licensing requirements.

Again, I respect those who do not agree.JMHO

Posts: 17155 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never compare anything 2nd Amendment oriented to a drivers license or automobiles.

Compare the 2nd to Free Speech or Religious Freedom. When is it appropriate to curtail those freedoms?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13385 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are of the mind that there should be any requirements (I prefer Constitutional Carry) then NO there should not be any training required but proficiency YES.

For me this is a hard argument to overcome. Require (at least initial) proficiency, if they can't shoot then they're a danger and need training until proficient. Then turn 'em loose.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hate the comparison to the DL. But at least an initial demonstrated proficiency is where my conflict lies.