SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CHL/CCW Should training be a requirement? Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
No

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
I'm firmly in the mandatory training camp and nothing that I've read here in years past and present will change my mind.

You carry a deadly device. At least know what you're doing and do it competently. If you can't demonstrate skill under pressure you are not a competent shooter. You are a gun owner but not ready to carry.

And no concern of abridgement of 2A rights? Not trying to change minds, just trying to reconcile/affirm my own.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm firmly in the mandatory training camp and nothing that I've read here in years past and present will change my mind.

You carry a deadly device. At least know what you're doing and do it competently. If you can't demonstrate skill under pressure you are not a competent shooter. You are a gun owner but not ready to carry.

If states that require little or zero training had epidemics of mishaps, then I'd give more weight to your argument.

This hasn't happened.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:

And no concern of abridgement of 2A rights? Not trying to change minds, just trying to reconcile/affirm my own.

Ignoring the obvious Constitutional argument, my problem is that you are leaving the decision of what constitutes training to a bunch of guys who can at best say that the screwed up state of affairs of government is “not their fault”.

If left to their own devices, CCW permits would cost thousands of dollars and only people trained like delta operators would be allowed to carry. And they would make money off of it some how.

No thank you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

Said someone who has never been to CHL/CCW training.
“If you can't demonstrate skill under pressure” Roll Eyes

We shot a barn door size target from 7 feet to demonstrate skill under pressure.
Seriously the only skill I demonstrated was my ability to sit in a chair for 8 hours and shoot a huge target.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

In other words, you believe it is not a right to own and carry a weapon.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:

Ignoring the obvious Constitutional argument, my problem is that you are leaving the decision of what constitutes training to a bunch of guys who can at best say that the screwed up state of affairs of government is “not their fault”.

If left to their own devices, CCW permits would cost thousands of dollars and only people trained like delta operators would be allowed to carry. And they would make money off of it some how.

No thank you.

The thousands of dollars argument is a tired one that isn't supported in any jurisdiction I'm aware of and likely you too.

Currently a number of locations require a basic proficiency class before you can receive your permit. Can you give me a single example of 1. A state or county that has these thousands of dollars cost to obtain a permit and 2. An example of a proficiency requirement that you thinking is designed so that people can't ever qualify? I think your task will be a fruitless one.

There is absolutely nothing infringing on your right to own a firearm by requiring those who want to CCW to decide some competant ability to use the gun before they carry in public.

How to do a reload, clear a weapon, basic safe handling, a bit of proficiency at say 3, 5 and 7 yards with 75% COM hits. The essentials and not at SWAT levels. I did not say required ongoing training butsome classroom to cover the laws and when deadly force is justified.

None of this compromises the ability of someone to apply for and receive a CCW. Having training is far better than just leaving the LGS with something in your IWB holster that you have no idea how to use.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
No.
quote:
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
^^^This. And make no mistake, every layer of training, qualifying, licensing, etc comes with a cost that many lower income folks would have difficulty affording. Constitutional Carry should be the national rule.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

In other words, you believe it is not a right to own and carry a weapon.

The analysis of any of the amendments is not complete unless you look at all the constraints and yet the rights still exist.

1st A has checks on your speech. 2d has restricts that I guess you find unreasonable or unconstitutional on your "carry concealed anywhere" belief.

I'm just going to wait here for you to carry into acourybouse, airplane, passed TSA or similar while you successfully defend the charges on constitutional grounds. Private property owners will have your ass if you insist on carrying, open or otherwise, on their property.

4th A has their own restraints too and we can go on.

Let me be clear - Buy your gun but if you want to CCW in public, the public can insist that you know how to use the gun and know something about when deadly force is justified. Such a requirement does not run afoul of constitutional impermissibilities.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
No.
quote:
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
^^^This. And make no mistake, every layer of training, qualifying, licensing, etc comes with a cost that many lower income folks would have difficulty affording. Constitutional Carry should be the national rule.

But there's that damn Constitution getting in the way. Policing is local in terms of laws and policy. There's nothing enumerated in it says the feds can dictate local gun policies.

No one has successfully challenged the requirement of training and there are obvious reasons. This isn't a Heller or the pending NYC lawsuit which are not sending to this discussion.

Even if Congress passed constitutional carry, it would fail in court, just like a national reciprocity law would too.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Flashlightboy, have you been to a CHL/CCW training class?

If you have can you share with us what you learned, what impressed you the most?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
No! Also to add to the other comments in the "no" camp, all that most mandatory training provides is a cash cow for the government and it's cronies.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me be clear - Buy your gun but if you want to CCW in public, the public can insist that you know how to use the gun and know something about when deadly force is justified. Such a requirement does not run afoul of constitutional impermissibilities.
Then riddle me this. Reconcile "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" with "yeah you can buy a gun but you have to pay for a background check, and you can carry it only after buying an annual licence and paying for required training on a regular basis". So the guy making $150k/year has no issue swinging those fees and requirements, but the inner city guy who makes $25k/year and really needs a gun for protection can't without suffering a hardship. I would argue that to be totally disproportionate treatment under the law, and a complete violation of the 2A.
quote:
But there's that damn Constitution getting in the way. Policing is local in terms of laws and policy. There's nothing enumerated in it says the feds can dictate local gun policies.
Actually, quite the opposite is true. The Constitution was designed to limit the powers of the federal government, not enumerate them. Additionally, the only place in the entire Constitution where the words "shall not be infringed" are included is in the 2A. I personally think the founders meant to make a very clear point as to why those specific words were used in only this one instance.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DRs and nurses require licenses, there are over 100k people dying each year due to medical malpractice. Cars you say? 40k deaths on the road.

And what praytell is the bodycount each year racked up by CCW holders carrying in public? It must be enormous, hundreds of thousands of deadly firearms carried in public in every state by citizens with no licenses or training. Eek

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Please put me in the "constitutional carry" camp.

Thank you

I shoot just about every week. I try to take at least one or two training classes a year.

I believe training is important and everyone should do it. And everyone should be familiar with the laws regarding self defense.

But it shouldn't be mandated/required by the state or federal government.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am close to a public range that is run by club volunteers. Range Masters have training and some are even RSO trained.
Some public shooters coming to the range are downright dangerous. Totally ignorant of gun safety. With and without a CHL. Even members make me nervous sometimes. The club's insurance level, and rules requirements are huge.
So yes, I think training should be required.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Actually I have a different take other than yes or no for a permit to carry.... I think everyone should be trained, firearm safety and training should be mandatory though out a young person's schooling. I think that would solve a lot of our gun violence problems.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m solidly in the “NO” camp. It should definitely be encouraged and the individual should take it upon himself to seek training, but in no way should it be a requirement.

I’ve sat through my state mandated CHP courses and although I’ve learned a couple things in the classroom portion and qualified without issues on the practical portions, never did I feel that it made me a safer or more competent handlers of firearms. It’s an expensive waste of time.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I am a big believer that anyone who decides to carry a firearm daily in public should go out and get training. They should also practice regularly.

I do not believe in government mandated training to exercise a right!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post