SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    AiWB yea or nay?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AiWB yea or nay? Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
If you have a short waist to groin measurement, forget about it. It will be impossible to sit unless you are carrying a tiny little mouse gun.

I was going say some people just aren't built for AIWB (yours truly), but you might have hit the nail on the head as to why.

I gave it the old college try, but it just wasn't for me. Bought a PX4 Compact and a Mastermind AIWB holster with the foam wedge to try it out.
Standing up was fine, but the second I sat down the pistol printed something fierce.
I tried every possible location and permutation - just wasn't happening.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried appendix years ago before it was “cool” when I was undercover. Browning hi power. I found my belly was turning the safety off after a while. Switched to a DAO Smith and shelved the Browning. After UC, I went back to owb 3 o’clock carry.
25 years later, I’m back to AWIB with the standard (no manual safety) P365. Holsters are better now and despite the retirement belly, it hides well and is comfortable. Of course, YMMV.

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
I carried appendix years ago before it was “cool” when I was undercover. Browning hi power. I found my belly was turning the safety off after a while.

I bet that was a bit unnerving.

A friend of mine used to carry a Ravin 25acp in his back pocket when he was a cop. He said after finding the safety had slid off several times, he discontinued the practice.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember back in the day when Appendix carry of a J frame (or DET Special) in one of those old soft leather holsters with the spring metal clip was common.

Here is a link to a recent article extolling the virtues of carrying your weapon in front of your hip. Link

I'm look towards AIWB myself, but as still evaluating it. I've done some tests with blue guns and holsters and have found that I have a sweet spot where the holster and gun are comfortable. But, if it's outside that area it gets uncomfortable.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several good comments in this thread. I'd like to add a technique for you to consider: While reluctantly reholstering into an AIWB holster, it helps to bend your upper torso back a bit at the waist. With enough bend, your muzzle will be pointing slightly forward of your feet, thus removing any body parts, including your junk, from the possible path of a negligent bullet.

Posts: 94 | Location: Michiana | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
This just happened to be in my Youtube suggested videos today. Maybe I needed to see it, lol. Smile

A reminder.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu-H36C5z3c

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With due, deliberate care, I am comfortable “enough” with the principle of AIWB carry. I am more comfortable if the weapon has a hammer, that I can monitor, while re-holstering, but am “OK” if the weapon does not have a touch-able hammer.

I actual practice, only specific revolvers are comfortable for me to carry AIWB. The cylinder may have some width, but, overall, a revolver is quite slim.

I have not adopted AIWB for daily carry. I still favor a holster outside the waistband, on or a bit forward of my hip, for my primary weapon.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always carried AIWB. It's the most comfortable and fits "me". I pretty much have always carried a da/sa decocker of some sort, so I feel safe enough that it's not going to fire. The 1791 leather holsters have been my favorite for the past few years. Nice leather with a soft lining, to protect the finish of my guns.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
A stock Glock is the last gun I'd carry AIWB. No hammer, no safety, nothing to stop it from going bang if something gets caught in the trigger.

At minimum, get the striker control device thingy that replaces the striker cover, and lets you feel if the striker is starting to move, and block it.

That is going to happen with any type of holster and a striker fired pistol. I started carrying appendix (G43x or G19 most of the time) and am using a Tier One Aegis or Axis slim (both have mid sweat guards). I usually wear an Under Armour compression t-shirt as the under shirt. Very comfortable.

I threw out all of my leather backed kydex holsters and only have good quality kydex holsters now for OWB, IWB, or AIWB.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
This just happened to be in my Youtube suggested videos today. Maybe I needed to see it, lol. Smile

A reminder.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu-H36C5z3c

I'd like to know what holster that guy was using. By the way he uses his right hand to open the holster as he inserts the gun, I'm thinking it was some sort of floppy belly band type with no reinforcement that can allow material to bunch up.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
If you have a short waist to groin measurement, forget about it. It will be impossible to sit unless you are carrying a tiny little mouse gun.

I have been trying to say this in simple words and you nailed it!
My waist to groin measurement prohibits appendix no way around it for me. I don’t condemn those that do, nor those that do not.
I have said on numerous forums ( maybe even here at some point) that it is perhaps the most polarizing subject ( more so than 9 vs 45 or whatever)

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post